The 2nd Soft Drummer Meet-Up - 21/4/2007

Bro RD,

No worries. We only like to take dis opportunity to clarify any issues anybody shld hv, jus to avoid any misunderstandings, big or small, next time. Hope softies here can understand our situation.

We welcome any feedbacks from all sofies and jammers. Dat is de only way for Kaizen (constant improvement)....

Glad that everythings being clarified.

Once again, thank you for the feedback.

Along the way, the Yamaha stage custom (Nouvea advantage) in suite room will soon be upgraded to a 7 piece kit very soon. We r jus awaitin news from Yamaha on the delivery dates.

L cube Music studio

Hey guys, whasssarrrp?!?

1st things 1st - I would like to convey my thanks to L-Cube for being such good hosts during the 1st DrumEX. I also agree with L-Cube's take on the Remo-Pin Stripe. I love them, but their out of stock @ sweelee for that 12" size. So bo pian gotta revert back to stock skins till the remos arrive. But like they said, the drumset near the toilet is awesome. I love the toms, especially the smllest one there.

Secondly, i also have to support RD when he says that there will no testing the drumset at the Ulu Pandan Hall so see if you have "groove" before you can gain "acceptance" into the drumming community. That is the very attitude that has to be culled.

The DrumEx is meant as a means for an exchange of ideas amongst all levels of drummers. Some will show and some will listen, that is inevitable, but we cannot penalise someone cos he/she cant groove.

Know what i mean? So please, suggestions are cool but in such a public place as this forum, it really is suicide to post comments like that.

Sorry if i sound harsh, but im here to trade not to buy or sell.

RLA.

Bro RLA, Thanks for the mail n tots..

Jus a quick check, does any bro here hv contacts for 12" pin stripe by remo ?

I almost had an argument with the sales staff on SL on the low stock count.

Thanks in advance if any bros here hv alternative contacts to remo skins.

Liveinsin - L cube

Committee Members: - James (Soft), RD, rla, drum_hobbist, Reuben, Weckl, caijunlong, jimmyplaydrums.

(0) James
(1) RD
(2) rla
(3) drum_hobbist
(4) Reuben
(5) Weckl
(5) caijunlong
(6) jimmyplaydrums
(7) rengaw
(8) - - - Please just continue adding on from here - Many Thks

advanced drumming actually needs less toys, well expect if ur playing latin. and who needs toys when i got drums hehe.

thats insane a drum test! i love it! cannot lah bradder dun let it turn into a snob fest. if they want to bring stuff awesome wat, more stuff to play.

Again my 1 cent here..

Bro RudimentalDrummer,

While you may misunderstood the term "TEST" which I use in my opinion. You ought to look at it positively.

hey guys, sorry to intrude but while i would like to participate in this meet up, the drums there are really really bad. they have not been tuned or had their skins changed in at least 10 years or something.
i've played on that kit dozens of times. perhaps it would be better to bring another great sounding kit for the pros to use while the audience gets to use the "home" drumkit... otherwise anything the pros play will not sound at its best.

I read about the "HOME DRUMS" being not so good by funkifized..I believe it can be retuned to it's best if only one knew how... then I decide to give my view if only one can sing on a drumset, they can surely do on any set with some tuning and such...Then the test were only meant to show how one can actually still shine on an old SET after some alteration done to it.

It is one way to deliver the right attitude to the drummers...well after all the experienced playing places...you will be met with all kinds of house drum settings...some are Good & some are Bad.You don't have any choice but to play and Feel it in order to deliver. As I mentioned..Test yourself to sing on any kind of drums be it New or Old.If you can still inspire the drummers around..surely the rest of the Non-drummer listening would appreciate it too as well.

I've seen too many drummers especially the new ones having great hardware but can't play drums.It's a pity. They will definitely perform poorly in a GIG with bad drums.

I was at the last Meetup..The set were OK...Only need some tuning.. Would suggest you guys focus more on playing drums than talking drums..

An eg..
1. You wanna talk about Cymbals...you show how it sing with the drums..
2. You wanna talk about Twin Pedal ..you show the best way playing it ..
3. you wanna talk Rudiments.. you show how you use it while you do FEEL SOLO.

Only my 1 Cent after all... with the right attitude of course..he..he..
I'm very interested in the next meetup...got alot to learn from all..

Bro RLA it's ok to sound harsh when you misunderstood it... :D

Don't get me wrong there.. :roll:
HAPPY DRUMMING

Yeah the 'Home Drums" is not very good sounding as informed by Funkifized and I did verify this with people in the Orchestra....Whether it can be tuned to it's best - what we will do is to check the shell's bearing and if everything is ok - probably with good tunning (if the skins are not stocks and appropriate) will made the drum sound good. There should be no objection from them as it's a win-win situation here.

And yes you are correct = a drummer must be able to play on any given kit it's something that can be learned not tested. but nevermind about all these choice of words now - it's a misunderstanding. However one important point remains here is that - we want all future meetup to be a healthy one so nothing should pertain to drum challenges just..plain sharing.

You mentioned that there are just too many new drummers with great hardware but unable to perform or play well - it's back to a chicken and eggs thing - "Drum or Drummer". It doesn't rea;;y matter at all, if they have the $$$$$ they can do whatever with it. Who owns the most and valuable guitar here - Is it the best guitarists - NO...someone who cannot play the guitar well - but it doesn't matter does it..

You mentioned also -"Would suggest you guys focus more on playing drums than talking drums"...Bro this is not a Drum Clinic lah - we are not good enough for it - it's an exchange where we wanna learn from one another only.

An eg..

PS: Do us a favour when you come for this 2nd meetup on your proposal - SHOW US so that we can learn from you - I guess you must have alot of experience in this area...that;s what we need - people like you comming forward to help us.....thank you

Committee Members: - James (Soft), RD, rla, drum_hobbist, Reuben, Weckl, caijunlong, jimmyplaydrums.

(0) James
(1) RD
(2) rla
(3) drum_hobbist
(4) Reuben
(5) Weckl
(5) caijunlong
(6) jimmyplaydrums
(7) rengaw
(8 ) smildrumez
(9) QWEbie
(Cool :) Please just continue adding on from here - Many Thks )

smildrumez: ops, i took the courtesy of adding your name down.

(0) James
(1) RD
(2) rla
(3) drum_hobbist
(4) Reuben
(5) Weckl
(5) caijunlong
(6) jimmyplaydrums
(7) rengaw
(8 ) smildrumez
(9) QWEbie
(10) danial
(Cool Please just continue adding on from here - Many Thks )

no snare bag sia , how to bring ? cymabl bag ah ? scared later use cymbal bag tear ah ,

Before I got a snare bag, I used my Outdoor duffel bag to carry my snare. Crushed up some newspaper, threw in some old t-shirts, ready to go. But go mrt sure kenna checked if the security guy is around, cos really look damn suspicious. :lol:

hey man... not very nice way of saying things right?

first of all to clear things up... we arnt really running any sort of clinic here, rather its more of sharing that we are looking at.... you must be pretty good, how bout coming up next time to show us...

erm i think at least the ppl who came up and shared made an effort to at least contribute to the sharing sessions... so its good to hear suggestions but at the same time.. at least give a word of thanks to the ppl who even tried coming out...(did you?)

Bout the TESTING thing... maybe some of us might have mistaken wad you actually meant. But just to clear some stuff up... we shudden judge each other since we are there to learn from each other, not to battle or make snipe comments... All drummers are welcome regardless of how well they play....

woooo......
hold your horses everybody...
seems like getting hotter in here..

anyway, bros, in my earlier post, its just my personal thoughts...
but i realy dont mind to be having at ulu pandan CC...
anyway, its much nearer to my place to.. hak hak hak......
so RD and others, no hard feelings ya..

and yeah, count me in for the next one....

(0) James
(1) RD
(2) rla
(3) drum_hobbyist
(4) Reuben
(5) Weckl
(5) caijunlong
(6) jimmyplaydrums
(7) rengaw
(8') smildrumez
(9) QWEbie
(10) danial
(11) DullTheater

(Please just continue adding on from here - Many Thks )

Bro alzdrummer,
An eg..

I really agree with you regarding putting the cymbals into the drums when Bro Drum_Hobbyist was explaining. It can really help him to explain further how the cymbals can be put into good use for different genres.
Unfortunately, we do not have guitarists or bassists to play along with us.

Similarly, I do agree that rudiments can be shown through a better way than what we did at the first meet-up. However, the committee was made up of like-minded people who really have passion in drums, not professional drummers. Most of the committee members are the ones who showed the rudiments because we wish to personally build a bond with the other drummers. We would really appreciate if some good drummers, maybe like yourself, will be able to assist us in showing good demostrations for the audience in future.

At the same time, I hope to take this opportunity to request more experience drummers to pm us, the committee, and assist us with future demostrations.

Do take note that the idea of the meet-up is catered to all bros in soft despite their proficiency in drumming. So I guess we shouldn't make things to complicated or difficult for beginner drummers to understand. And the idea of a Drum Meet-Up is very different from clinics.

However, I do hope that we can find some good drummers from these couple of Meet-Ups and run some clinics for all of us. :lol:

i think it is all good. let's take some more meetups to fine-tune and make it more fun for everyone.

really much respect to RD and fellow drummers who took time to scout the venue and putting the event together. hee..hee.. i just go and ogle at .... the drums.

take baby steps and let's make it better together.

Back