Softsampler violin - breaching the reality gap (yet again)

Cheez

For those following the development of softsamplers, you would have heard that Garritan came out of this new technology for violin sampling. Now it's officially out. The gap between software and reality is again, becoming smaller. Check out these videos (Stradivari Solo Violin):

Meditation: http://www.garritan.com/Strad/DemoStradMassenetMsfm1.wmv

Technique demo: http://www.garritan.com/Strad/VideoDemoStradivariViolin1sf.wmv (54MB file)

Any comments from violinists?

Wow! This is something !!!
A Stradivari Violin for $199?

Softsampler and software instruments are trashing out the hardware.

Glad that I play keyboards. Any instruments you want it, you got it !!!

Not just a Stradivari violin for $199 - it is a Stradivari violin + employing a virtuoso violinist + recording + recording equipment etc for $199.

The most difficult instrument to sample (in terms of reaslism) is the saxophone. There are too many intonations and variations to the sound of the instrument. Perhaps another 2 years or so, we'll break that barrier. Some people think that day will never come as the sax is too complex - but with the development of this Stradivari thing, I'm not so sure.

Then we keyboardists truly dominate the world!!! We don't need to get anymore real players! :lol:

I tried listening to Massenet's Meditation sample. I think there's a problem when the notes' change, in many of these, the change in the note's sound quite discernibly "discrete" for those who are already tuned to hearing real instrument violin solos.
And me only newbie I can hear it already, I think it won't pass the classic musicians. Furthermore in many arrangements, the strings occupy a more prominent role in the mix. So it will sound obvious.

So there's no replacement to having a real violinist playing a real instrument. (Otherwise, they will be out of jobs, then the violin instrument makers in Italy will also go out of jobs.)

Actually, I always have problems listening to classicals with record albums. It's either the mastering was done poor, or my speaker is lousy, or unsuitable to be ripped and played in MP3, etc. Of cos, the best still have to pay $$$ for live concerts. Tho I never have problems with pop tunes, the digital analogue reproduction is even better with SACDs.

chamois said:
Furthermore in many arrangements, the strings occupy a more prominent role in the mix. So it will sound obvious.

So there's no replacement to having a real violinist playing a real instrument. (Otherwise, they will be out of jobs, then the violin instrument makers in Italy will also go out of jobs.)

What you are probably hearing is what we call the "sucking effect" - notorious for strings. However, the Stradivari morphing technology is supposed to reduce this significantly.

Actually, in a mix, we hear it less. That's because a lot of obvious problems are covered by other instruments. Also, we tend to tweak the sequence a lot so that it sounds as real as possible (each note is tweaked separately - takes a lot of time though). The stradivari demo did something very brave - they actually played it live. When that happens, you should hear a lot of problems because they can't hide or tweak anything - which we don't hear as much in Stradivari. What they have achieved is actually already ground breaking. If it is done into a mix, the problems will be almost undiscernable.

As for getting out of jobs, that's the real issue many are facing. It is getting difficult to sample players nowadays because many orchestral players refuse to do it - for fear of losing their jobs in the future. It's already happening. Many hollywood stuffs are already done without real orchestras.

Cheez said:
As for getting out of jobs, that's the real issue many are facing. It is getting difficult to sample players nowadays because many orchestral players refuse to do it - for fear of losing their jobs in the future. It's already happening. Many hollywood stuffs are already done without real orchestras.
sad to hear this, maybe musicians last option is to turn to teaching than performing.

Thanks, Cheez. I am learning.
Maybe musicians have to learn everything and 2-3 instruments and working with computers too.

Cheez said:
..Except keyboardists!!!

Just curious...
are keyboardists (or people who know keyboard) the only one who do sequencing?

How about guitarists?
are they doing audio recording instead of sequencing?

How about wind instrument player?
I remember ther are wind midi controller exist.

I also wondering will there be anyone using midi controller (other than keyboard type) to sequence piano/organ/harpsichord...etc?

maybe not. Playing keyboards to do sequencing
definitely is the easiest, it's a trigger ON and OFF.
If you play a MIDI guitar, I doubt it can do a proper
Strings or Woodwind emulation with the best samples.

normally guitarists can pick up keyboards easily, just like
keyboardist picking up guitar or another instrument.

if you guys know about local music arranger Kenn C.
he is a fierce guitarist but can play keyboards, properly he
learned keyboards to do sequencing.

more info: Kenn C. arranged some hits for local stars Stef Sun and
Huang Yida. His arrangement for Yida on his debut
album are fierce guitar work. Go grab a copy !!!

bongman said:
maybe not. Playing keyboards to do sequencing
definitely is the easiest, it's a trigger ON and OFF.
If you play a MIDI guitar, I doubt it can do a proper
Strings or Woodwind emulation with the best samples.

Agree with you 100%. No instrument is as versatile as the keyboard for sequencing - notes on off, after-touch, pedals, mod wheels, faders controls etc - hard to do this with anything else. Keyboards can be fitted with a breath controller - so can emulate what a wind controller like the Yamaha WX can do. Of course, some other controllers may be better for emulating certain instruments, but one keyboard can do many more what others cannot.

Latest posts

Back