Seymour Duncan pickups- which model(s) would you buy?

Praetorian said:
I always wanted a Duckbucker, Metal LiveWire and Trembucker...

'Trembucker' is not a model, it's relating to the pickup's spacing. trembucker spacing is Duncan's version of Dimarzio's 'F' spacing. these are conceived to cater to wider spaced (pole-pieces) bridge position of guitars equipped with floating vibratos...

**I have the Duncan Distortion in the neck of my RG1550- very good for high gain solos in the neck, indv notes remain defined & not too bass inclined.

Damn it. The Invader sounds like crap in the neck :(

I always thought the Trembucker was like a model... so in essence all it is is a fancy name for F-Spaced lah...

the Screamin Demon sounds very similar to the Custom5, however, the Demon has a more growling lower midrange, the reason why i like it so much... like the C5, the Demon's treble is a polished offering, nothing too obtrusive, the bass is also trimmed, less boomy than the Custom...

hey guys do you think a distortion would be better in the neck or bridge? i have a 59 in the neck and its sounds great clean but really bassy when distorted. might want to change cause i play more high gain stuff

Praetorian said:
Damn it. The Invader sounds like crap in the neck :(

I always thought the Trembucker was like a model... so in essence all it is is a fancy name for F-Spaced lah...

the Invader IMO is unsuitable in the neck although a neck version is offered. the neck position does not need any more bass response, it needs lesser bass + more clarity which is why the Distortion & Full Shred are my fav models for high gain work in the neck.

the Trembucker is just that- a name for the spacing. things get very confusing because Duncan has a 'Distortion Trembucker', a name necessary to differentiate it from the non-trembucking version, which just goes by the 'Distortion' tag.

mattleesc said:
hey guys do you think a distortion would be better in the neck or bridge? i have a 59 in the neck and its sounds great clean but really bassy when distorted. might want to change cause i play more high gain stuff

if you really like the '59 tone in the neck but you need more individual note definition, the Alnico II Pro is one to try. have it in my Ibanez SZ & Gibson SG- very sweet, warm, without being too mushy...

subversion said:
the Invader IMO is unsuitable in the neck although a neck version is offered. the neck position does not need any more bass response, it needs lesser bass + more clarity which is why the Distortion & Full Shred are my fav models for high gain work in the neck.

oh yes. definitely. i'm using the neck model, and to sum it up, it get skinda muddy, too much bass... maybe i can adjust it with my EQ... but for now, i'm sticking to the JB ;)

myabe when i strike lottery or something i'll replace the invader with a distortion.

Hey Subversion, talking abt Seymour Duncan pickups, can I take this chance to seek some advice from you?

I remember you have a little 59 on the neck position and a humbucker on the bridge of one of your RG. Just wondering if your lil 59 sound fat enough to match the humbucker at the bridge? are their output and sustain reasonable close?

I'm considering replacing my single coil (neck) with a little 59, to match my existing SD 59 (bridge). What do you think? Thanks.

hey man 8)

the Lil' 59 is a humbucker, no reason for it not to match the '59. in fact, the Lil 59 has a slightly higher output than the full humbucking version, it also has more midrange- the reason why i chose this pickup, i don't quite fancy the full sized '59 in the neck position for high gain settings, it sounds a little brittle. hope that helps...

I like the Lil 59. I really do.

One thin I CAN say, is that when the little 59 is coil tapped and put together with a full invader, the clean tone is beautiful. A classic twang is there. Personally I think it rivals a strat, but that's just me.

popeye said:
btw anyone can enlightent if a JB on bridge and Alnico pro II on neck will be a good setup for an LP?

Can't tell you much about the Alnico, but the JB in the bridge is an excellent choice ;)

popeye said:
btw anyone can enlightent if a JB on bridge and Alnico pro II on neck will be a good setup for an LP?

personally never heard of this combi, I find their output doesn't seem to match well? I personally like alnico 2 pro on neck and bridge, and the bridge impresses me more than the neck.

popeye said:

the Alnico II Pro was Slash's humbucker of choice in the neck position of his LP but you don't need to revere Slash to actually like this pickup. the AIIP isn't just an alternative offering to the '59 in terms of warmth & vintage overtones, it's a good pickup per se. it'll handle basically anything you throw at it: rock/ blues/ metal (no kidding) but do not expect it to rival other higher output units when it comes to all out gain.

Back