Pickup Help needed... Pros pls help this newbie out!

shredcow what do you think of a tonezone in bridge and evo in neck on a basswood body? going for vaiesque tone here

That might work out.

But note ah. The tonezone is smooth sounding. The Evo neck is kind of coarse? Its not polite, kind of gritty. Evo neck is kind of hard to control in that sense, very rough sounding, and very senstive to anything like hands on strings and what not. Yes, both pups have an IN-YOU-FACE kind of tone, but the TZ will be smooth and you might not like that?

Of course, if you like that, go for it. The TZ packs a huge bassy punch, the Evo neck will never mud out and it has ridiculous harmonics (liek the TZ).

You can also go Evo neck and Evo2/Evo bridge. Just that your axe will become a total lead machine. You know how tight and bass-less Evos are. They can chug if you do stuff like detunning lah, but standard tuning, except a lot of crunch instead.

EH!
Strats, actually, why not this?

Breed neck and Breed bridge. :D

This is a ROCKING combination. I lay my erm... guitar strap! Down on this one.

The Breed neck is based on the PAF Pro (Vai used PAF Pros in Passion & Warfare on a basswood guitar) and its fat and has a good bass. Its an excellent neck pup, doesn't have that squishy pick attack sound that a PAF Pro has (think Satch) and its got good power. Very versatile.

The Breed bridge is like the Tonezone, except it has tighter bass and a more vintage tone. Good harmonics, not as easy to get as the TZ, but just aim and you'll get it. :)

Both pups are smooth sounding and more vintage voiced. Cleans are excellent, the neck can do jazz, the bridge can be jangily.

I've used them before, excellent stuff, just that i wanna try different stuff, so i'm on my pup journey. I might just go back to the Breeds in the end though.

I've tried the JEM7DBK, basswood JEM with Breeds, and that was excellent too. The Breed neck in basswood is tighter than in mahogany.

Heh, but the Breed neck in bridge, in a mahogany axe, is killer. ;)

Hey popeye... I think that combination may be quite good... Seriously considering it. Can you describe some sound it can produce? I did a little reading and it may be what I am looking for. Will it sound stratish like the beyond "zhen de ai ni" lead? (I like the tone of it) Can it cut thru?

Comparing it with the stock duncan pickups, will there be a diff?

Some guitar tones I like are mayday, beyond, slash, mark tremonti, bowling for soup... bon jovi... (mainly rock)...

Thanks alot...

Back