Orianthi - Believe

Whitestrat

I bet you when Michael Jackson said "This is IT" he was talking about her.

You got a 23 year old girl who's been playing since the age of 6. Nevermind. That she's blonde and good looking, nevermind. That she writes her own songs, nevermind. That she sings, also nevermind. That she plays guitar, also not so surprising lah... Many other girls play wat... Avril Lavigne also plays etc etc...

Make no mistake. Orianthi SHREDS...

orianthi+believe.jpg

The latest album "Believe" is full of pop stuff. If you haven't gotten your copy yet, go do it. Catchy hooks, dancable tracks. nothing hardcore. Or is there?

There's a track on it called "Highly Strung" where she's locked in a 6 string duel with none other than Steve Vai. Yes, on a commercial album. It's an instrumental, and I haven't got my copy yet (bloody amazon taking forever), but I'm sure the track was written much by him. It feels like him. From what I've heard so far, it's impressive. It's cool how well she holds her ground facing someone like Vai, on HIS territory. But, unlike that duel he did with a jap guitarist on his ultrazone album, where you couldn't tell them apart, this one is different. You can distinctly hear that's its Orianthi playing when it's her turn.

This is not your simple new-Santana playing. nor is it a few notes here and there that's well placed just to fill up space. No. Every solo I've heard her play on THIS album is very well written, and it seems to be crafted to literally let her show off. Like I said, she shreds in this album. When's the last time you heard a lead singer do tapping on a guitar solo in a commercial pop song? I feel like the 80s have returned... Hahahaha...

And her tone is refreshing. It's very PRS like. Very biting and searing. It's no longer like the old Violet Journey album where she sounds like a Santana clone. This I'd say is more like Joe Satriani, with more compression and attack. The tone hits you square in the face, alongside her playing. It's like a hot knife thru butter.

If this is what the next generation of performers is like coming upo, where they're influenced by the old school rock where you got solos flying out your asses, I think we're in for a fun time ahead.

Another one to take notice of, I think is Lizzy Hale from Halestorm. That one is a rocker, and I'd say more the successor to Joan Jett. She plays, but a much better rhythmist and singer than a soloist.

Orianthi is one of those rare breeds. In the jungle, we'd call her the alphamale, not because of her aggression (because her interviews seem like she's a very sweet girl) but that she's got the whole package. there's almost nothing lacking. Singer, Songwriter, Shredder, Model. Damn!

This girl is going to make a LOT of kids pick up guitar. And not just to strum, but to shred.

There is hope!:mrgreen:

Creed's not back with that t-wa-t of a singer right?

I wanted to kill Carrie Underwood's guitar player, because thats the job I want. Then I found out Orianthi played for her for awhile, including at the Grammys. So I though I should stay with my day job....

I watched the videos and i must say i wasn't impressed with her live performances. her guitar shredding is amazing, that goes without saying. but to me she's just avril lavigne-ish, plus her amazing shredding skills. i know i'm gonna get bashed for saying this, but her singing doesn't quite cut it. and her songwriting isn't that amazing too imo, it suits to genre perhaps. but it's nothing impressive. the only thing about her is that she's a chick who can really shred..so thumbs up!

Its cool to see guitar-heavy music... not necessarily rock and metal but just guitar heavy, grooving and solos. It's good to hear it.

That aside - if she were a guy... would he be considered as amazing?

In life, it's always unfair.

Even if you ignore gender, there will be still other stuff like races, social status and i believe much more to debate ;

the only thing about her is that she's a chick who can really shred..so thumbs up!

Think about this. She's only 23. Where do you think she'll be at 33? I think her singing is a lot improved compared to the Violet journey album.

Furthermore, who else do you think will bring lead guitar back into the music industry in a big way? John Mayer and Mark Tremonti were only the tip of the iceberg. This girl is going to unleash a whole new group of shredders in new bands discovered. Watch closely.

Not only is she a chick, she's a HOT chick!

You're missing the point. I wasn't excited because she's amazing as a guitarist. She's nothing groundbreaking as a shredder. There are tons who are more technical and even more fluid.

But the point is this: She is the beacon of light today that will lead many others into the arena. She will set the standard. Looks, Voice, Writing, Playing. The whole package.

John Mayer was the tip of the iceberg. She on the other hand takes what he has done one step further... Though I don't think she'll give people as much GAS as John himself has done.

Well, in music, the point is what one makes out to be the point isn't it? I find that I tend to look at guitars and instrumentation much more than the full package.

You're speaking about a revival of sorts eh?

I'm not quite sure I see it in her as much you do though... really would depend on the flavour of the masses for this to work out. I find Richie Kotzen to be more fitting than her but the masses don't dig him.

That said, perhaps it might be the start of something good and more balanced... We have moved from the technicality of the 80s to the simplicity of the 90s to the samples-and-digital-sounds of the 00s and... it's all about the extremes. She does seem to have a good pop flavouring and good guitars with that polished look.

I'm not quite sure I see it in her as much you do though... really would depend on the flavour of the masses for this to work out. I find Richie Kotzen to be more fitting than her but the masses don't dig him.

That's the thing... You, and many other guitarists around, are not representative of mass market demand. I mean, you play an 8 string. who plays 8 strings? Geez!:rolleyes:;)

You already said it. Masses don't dig Richie Kotzen. I agree, he's another good example of a well rounded package. As is Nuno Betterncourt. But neither of them are frontmen. Sure, they could be, but then why get Gary Cherone to sing? Because Gary sings better. It's how they were marketed.

I'm not speaking of a revival of sorts. I'm speaking of a new wave of similar artists. The whole new package thing. In the past, it was ok to be talentless, just that you looked great. Then those with an iota of talent rose to the top. Those who were extremely talented, but didn't look too good, like Joan Armatrading, were sidelined. Damn, she could sing, and seriously play that guitar. But not as marketable. Neither was Tracy Chapman.

Posterboys and girls were never really "talented" in the past. Except maybe Mr Jon BonJovi. But Orianthi represents something new, that both markets, niche and mass can embrace. Yes, she's pop enough to appeal to kids in their early teens, but she's good enough to shred alongside Vai, so she's definately worth listening to people like you and me. She straddles both markets.

Furthermore, this is her FIRST major release in the US. It'll be interesting to hear how she matures. Listening to her first recorded album Violet Journey, I doubt she's going to remain pop for long.

Remember, John Mayer began that way too.

YEAH! ^ phillip sayce is good stuff. really nice tone as well..

I bought this record awhile back and I was quite pleased with the result. Money well spent!

Back