Order of linkage of pedals effect

Heres a bassist trying to cut into this discussion :p

Can somebody comment about Boss tuners (TU series) and how it affects the chain signal? thanks.

The TU series of tuners shoulden't suck too much tone. Should be okay, many people are using it. Maybe if you are concerned about how it affects tone, you might wanna get a true bypass A/B switcher and channel one to the tuner, other thru your efx chain?

Wow, gd idea, thanks moo.

The Behringer A/B stomp box looks tempting.

I was thinking of building a simple board and A/B between a Boss GT6B and that lol. Lame right?

Yeah, but thats another idea la.

I also got this crazy though of getting a Radial Bassbone D.I (with built in Efx loop) and playing around with possibilities. Haiz.

TU-2 doesn't suck tone much. I borrowed one from a friend for a few weeks and only noticed very little top-end loss but it was very subtle... now i'm using a Korg DT-10 (budget la... :lol: ) and I don't really notice anything at all. I think in a gigging situation the audience won't notice any tone-suck and the only person bitching would be yourself ;)

Hmmm... I had the TU2 for a while... the thing does suck tone to my ears... and it was relatively in-accurate (+/-3cents accuracy) .... so I sold it off and got a TU12H...

If anything, the Korg DT10 is better... I couldn't hear any tone sucking and it was more accurate... +/-1cent

The Behringer A/B stomp box looks tempting.

The Behringer one is not true bypass I think. Impossible to be true bypass if you can actively control the levels.

What do you want in an A/B? I'm building one for myself in december, a very basic one. Passive, no LED, just one A/B select stomp switch.

Let me know what you want maybe I build also. I'm thinking of building a few, since I'm going to buy the parts anyway, might as well buy more.
Options:
1) Effects loop. This effectively makes the A/B box also a true bypass box
2) LEDs. 1 or 2 to show which channel selected.
3) Tuner mute. I can include a tuner mute out and footswitch.

I won't be building any passive A/B/Y boxes becuase passive splitting sometimes causes problems when the loads are mismatched. They CAN work, but sometimes don't.

The Boss tuner does suck tone. But it depends. Some people can hear some people don't. My Korg DT-10 sucks tone also, but I know of some people who don't hear it. But is why I'm doing this project.

AgingYouth said:
Doode, flangers and phasers are modulation...

my bad :lol: i really dig the echo park..i like the 8th note triplet function the best personally because i like to swell with my volume knob (which actually isn't a good idea, my old volume knob dropped off and i had to buy a new one..haha). fiddling around with the knobs gets some really weird sounds too. the murf isn't a synth per se, but it's a guitar synth as far as they go, isn't it?- i mean, it royally screws up my sound and gives me a really cool radiohead-ish vibe. and yes, i love it. i actually went and bought two expression pedals for more control while i'm playing and got a custom dual momentary footswitch to sync the tempo with my echo park and ph-3.

i'm actually in the process of upgrading again, i'm trying to decide between a z.vex super duper 2-in-1 and a foxrox zim for a better od sound because i'm going to be seperated from my marshall soon :( :(

jon__ said:
my bad :lol: i really dig the echo park...

Hehe, I've yet to try out the expression pedal functions of this baby yet. Tap tempo? Hmmm, looks like I gotta flip the end to look at it again. I love this pedal! Where did you get it from?

jon__ said:
i'm actually in the process of upgrading again, i'm trying to decide between a z.vex super duper 2-in-1 and a foxrox zim for a better od sound because i'm going to be seperated from my marshall soon :( :(

If you ask me, why stop at one when you can get 2??? :lol:

AgingYouth said:
Hehe, I've yet to try out the expression pedal functions of this baby yet. Tap tempo? Hmmm, looks like I gotta flip the end to look at it again. I love this pedal! Where did you get it from?

bo lui eh..haha. if you look at the back there's a tap tempo input and if you use like the boss fs-5u it sets it really well. the dual switch i got is really cool, it's basically two fs-5us put together but it's about half the size of a single fs-5u with two outputs. i use one output for the murf and the other one for the ph-3 and it's great, i can hit both of them to sync both tempos. the best part is the guy i got it from, this dude named jim callery, painted one side white and the other side green so i don't get confused when i'm doing the pedal dance :lol:

have you tried either the z/vex or the foxrox? i figure i could use the z.vex with what i already have to get a really good crunch sound (which i already have but i want something bigger), or i could replace the jekyll&hyde (it's the old-gen, silver model) with the foxrox and have a real nice boutique sound. what do you think?

ps the sparkle drive is one of the greatest things ever..it sounds great on its own and drives tubes better than most of the clean boosts i've heard because you can mix in some grit with the clean mix..i'm covering welcome to the jungle with a bunch of friends tomorrow and i'm going straight into my amp with the sparkle drive as a solo boost

jon__ said:
AgingYouth said:

bo lui eh..haha. if you look at the back there's a tap tempo input and if you use like the boss fs-5u it sets it really well. the dual switch i got is really cool, it's basically two fs-5us put together but it's about half the size of a single fs-5u with two outputs. i use one output for the murf and the other one for the ph-3 and it's great, i can hit both of them to sync both tempos. the best part is the guy i got it from, this dude named jim callery, painted one side white and the other side green so i don't get confused when i'm doing the pedal dance :lol:

have you tried either the z/vex or the foxrox? i figure i could use the z.vex with what i already have to get a really good crunch sound (which i already have but i want something bigger), or i could replace the jekyll&hyde (it's the old-gen, silver model) with the foxrox and have a real nice boutique sound. what do you think?

ps the sparkle drive is one of the greatest things ever..it sounds great on its own and drives tubes better than most of the clean boosts i've heard because you can mix in some grit with the clean mix..i'm covering welcome to the jungle with a bunch of friends tomorrow and i'm going straight into my amp with the sparkle drive as a solo boost

I haven't tried the foxrox yet though... but I think I might have tried the zvex a few years back. But getting old, can't remember much about it.

There's a setting on the MuRF (which I can't rem as well... too many settings; waaaayyy too many sounds) when combined with the J&H (Mine also 1st gen) has a great fuzzy, modulated (flanger-like) tone. Damn nice!!! Shit, can't rem that MuRF setting...

Woah, I like the sounds of the boss fs-5u. 2 outputs... Hmmm...

the zvex sho/sd2in1 will add great presense and spark to the clean tone and make it seem like your clean tone being push all the way to the front, being alive once all over.

To go into crunch territory, its going to be really loud with the boost, but if that's the thing you are looking for, go for it!

The sd2in1, is easier to get the crunch thing going on with the 2nd cascading sho circuit. Turn up the boost on the 2nd channel and lower the vol knob to match the 1st level channel. As and when if you want to get the over the top boost, just kick in the 2nd channel..

Other than the zvex, catalinbread's super chili picoso or xotic rc booster make fine clean booster and can be found locally..

And most importanly, with the above booster, a tube amp is necessary to get the best out of it ....

Sorry for being out of point but since we're talking about efx now....what delay pedal is the "best" out there now? i wanna get one...pref one that u can buy in a local shop.

what are the features you are looking in, for the delay pedal you want?

Will make it easier to recommend to your needs and budget instead of everyone giving their choices of delay which either they themselves have not play with or just hearsay...

just a 0.000002 cent

ok in the $200 to $300+ range....the max delay time should be at least 1 second and must not sound too "plastic". prefably easy to find in s'pore. oh ya and when u switch the effect off it should fade out not cut off. how $200+ can anot.

any digital delay shud be able to hit the 1000ms mark.

For trailing out delay, the boss dd56, digitech digidelay, line 6 dl4 should be able to do it. On the newer line6 echopark, iam not too sure whether did they include the trailing off feature.

Most of it should be within budget, other than the dl-4(2nd hand perhaps, within your budget)

ShredCow said:
I tried a sparkle drive before... it didn't cut it for me... very... dry IMO...

it does sound pretty dry through a solid state (ie crate) but i use it to drive 12ax7s and that sounds fantastic because the tubes sound so lush that it compensates for any brittle tone from the pedal..plus i really like the vintage ts sound, which is why i bought it in the first place.

8fingermadness-i really like the echopark by line6. it's digital but it sounds very natural, plus it's got a tap tempo function which was the reason i bought it, and it's probably the one pedal i use the most. there's also a switch to set it to either cut off or fade out. the old ones apparently short out alot or something, but i have one of the newer ones which don't seem to have any problems. the only problem with it is that it draws a lot of current so it gets very noisy if you use a boss adaptor, but with the line6 adaptor or a voodoo lab pedal power-type brick it doesn't hum. i got mine at citymusic and i was about 240, plus 20 for the line6 adaptor.

the other delay i use is the boss rv-3 reverb/delay which i think they discontinued. the delay by itself is a little brittle-sounding but you can combine delay and reverb sounds and that sounds very very warm if it's done right, almost like a tape echo, and it also fades out when you turn it off. not sure what the price range is on one of these but it shouldnt be too much, they're pretty underrated imo.

or you could go for old 1970s analog delays, wakemeup carries a few of those and they're really nice to play around with and sound pretty warm..come to think of it, i'm pretty sure wakemeup had an rv-3 while i was working for them this august.

and failing all that, the digitech digidelay is pretty good..although digitech pedals generally don't sound all that nice. i'm not sure if they fade out.

Back