Name the best albums you've heard in the last 2 to 3 years.

Whitestrat

Talking about NEW albums launched recently in the last few years. My list so far:

1) Sixx A.M. - The Heroin Diaries - Wow... What can I say? This has got to be one killer effort from the 3 guys. Everything from the playing, composition to recording is nothing but exceptional. It's way way ahead of most stuff I hear coming from the US these days. James Michael's voice is what really caught me on this album. Not so much DJ Ashba's playing, who's rhythm work is killer, but the singing!!! Oh wow... That's emotion right there... I wonder if he does any other band efforts? I hope they put out a 2nd release, but considering the original purpose of this album, I'm not sure if that's gonna happen. This album is so good that I'd consider it a modern classic, if it wasn't so serious. it's what Motley Crue should have sounded like! Nikki Sixx was GREAT in this retelling of his sordid past!

2) Delain - April Rain - Their first album was so so... nothing new from the european metal scene. But their 2nd album, is fantastic... Charlotte Wessel's (only 22 years old!) voice here really shines. Killer tones from the guitars too, but the songwriting here is so much stronger. Much more cohesive album. This made the band one to watch for the future!

3) Kamelot - The Ghost Opera - What can I say? Roy Khan's voice delivers much more on this album. I was surprised to find out it was an American band, considering they sound 100% european. Excellent drumming and killer compositions. Extremely well produced. Hope they make it even bigger than they are now. The metal scene needs a boost!

4) Nightwish - Dark Passion Play - Ok, believe it or not, I actually liked this. I thought the usual negative comments on the new singer weren't really justified. Sure, she's not got the opera vox that Tarja had, but honestly, after a few songs of the old nightwish, I gave up. Annette's voice is a lot more soothing on the long plays. It's poppish, but she's got a more accessible dimension compared to Tarja. The compositions on this album, I must say, have been quite good. I was expecting disappointment when I bought this. I was pleasantly surprised.

5) In This Moment - The Dream - Wow... Maria Brink's vocals here are more polished and more accessible than the first CD they put out. Here she actually sounds like a female version of Sebastian Bach, complete with the screams he used to do as well. One of the few female vocalists who don't get annoying. She's got so much texture to her voice, it's amazing. The band isn't half bad, honestly. For a metalcore band, they're quite good. but her voice is what you buy this album for...

6) Joe Bonamassa - The Ballad of John Henry - Wow... EXCELLENT guitar work! Much better efforts than his past albums. I felt this album shows some maturity that his previous ones lacked. This is a MUST have for contemporary blues fans!

7) John Mayer - Where The Light Is - THE Live recording to own for the last 3 years. Excellent quality, and JM's playing is top notch here! His real killer is his acoustic set, which to me shows his ability to hold the stage as a performer. I'd shrivel under those conditions myself. And he pulls it off amazingly! Solid Solid performance from JM!

8) Chickenfoot - Old guys can still rock! and Rock HARD! This was definately not a disappointment for me, though I know some people have their gripes about it. Nothing about this album made me wish it was done differently. They were all just having fun, and you could hear it! OH YEAH!

9) Joe Satriani - Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion Of Rock - DAMN! TONE! That's what this album is about! Nothing much on fancy playing here, but the tones in this album are to die for. Revalation is a KILLER song!

10) Extreme - Saudades De Rock - Gary Cherone & Nuno Betterncourt. Back together! Need I say more?

Opeth's "Blackwater Park" is still my favorite album of all times... But it was released in 2001. Can i still name it? hahaha

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago , for me this is one of the most emotional, heartfelt album i had heard in the last 2 years.

The Raveonettes - Lust Lust Lust , well produced and you just dont get much of these nowadays..

Eisley - COmbinations , this one dropped out out nowhere for me and once i heard them i got hooked, good music for crusing...

The Sounds - Dying To Say This To You , one of the big surprise bands in the last 3 years, at least to me.

Can i add the most disappointed album in the last 3 years? Weezer's red album wins this hands down for me.....:(

For me, the best:

Ghost reveres by Opeth,
- Pure genius. Opeth sounds like no other band on the planet and this album was well-planned, well-thought-out and on the overall very impressive.

Ten thousand fists by Disturbed,
- Liked this album, pretty much every song on it rocked. Hard to find such a property with other albums by other bands.

Systematic Chaos by Dream Theater,
- Awesome, genius, and unlike some other Dream Theater albums, the progressive element wasn't much over-done here. The music was awesome and I liked every track except "The dark eternal night".

Minutes to midnight by Linkin Park,
- You have to appreciate a wide range of modern musical styles, mainly alternative rock, synth-rock, nu-metal, industrial rock and even hip-hop to appreciate this album, but I did and I loved this album. Awesome, and unique at the same time.

I'd also like to include Living Sacrifice's Reborn despite it being released in 1997. Damn awesome album, supposedly when the band switched to metalcore but this album lacked a lot of a melody. It was harsh, brutal and angry with plenty of experimentation. The breakdowns were probably the only obvious metalcore influences on this album, but this album also featured a straight-forward death / thrash metal track. And this album features some of the most awesome technical drum beats I've ever heard. Very underrated band and album.

Last edited:
Bought quite a few lately, but the best albums i heard:

The Formation Of Damnation [Testament]: A total package! Heavy-sounding riffs, great sounds, really liked the drums a lot, and of course Chuck Billy! His voice can still thrash it out after these years, err...and the body really grows with age! ahaha.. :)

Good To Be Bad [Whitesnake]: David Coverdale still have that sexy voice, wish had it as well! Still great numbers, a very good record and they could cut it out after all these years. Doug Aldrich's guitar works is as sexy as Coverdale's voice.

Black Ice [AC/DC]: From the very first chord that was strum, you know it's them! I think this is what makes them unique. From the tone and rhythm, you can know that it's AC/DC! :D

Many will hate me for this so...

1) Lamb of God - Wrath
After their overproduced album, Sacrament, they certainly came back to their raw thrash roots. Nice to see Mark Morton and Willie Adler coming up with some sick riffs and solos, with Campbell and Chris Adler pounding the rhythm section. Good development can be heard in Randy Blythe's vox. Pretty much every song rocks in this album. Heard it around 10 times and still not bored of it :D

2) Testament - The Formation of Damnation
This is the shit! Every Thrash fan should check this out. Crushing riffs and really good solos from Skolnick (i suppose...) Testament can be on par with the big four of thrash, IMO...

3) Machine Head - The Blackening
Love the song arrangements in this album, great songwriting. This album brought them back to full-fledged thrash. The guitars are as tight as ever, great thrash riffs, really masterful. I give credit to the drummer man, able to play for 9mins straight...

4) Throwdown - Venom and Tears
Although this album sounds like Pantera, Sepultura, Metallica and Crowbar mashed into one, but hey, it's a good mix ;) hard-hitting riffs with Phil Anselmo-like hardcore voice. Really killer and brutal. Some say that this is a Pantera rip-off. but again, who can rip off the legendary Pantera???

5) Alter Bridge - Blackbird
Although considered by many as a radio band, you really can't deny the amazing musicianship in this band. I love the creative bass playing in this album, as well as the bits of drumming. And of course, Mark Tremonti's driving riffs and solos as well as Kennedy's voice. Impressive display of talent.

6) Bleeding Through - Declaration
Picked this up a week ago and damn, this is quickly becoming one of my favourites. Brutal breakdowns, blast beats and down-tuned riffs combined with dark melodies and keyboards really adds a new dimension. This band combines a lot of metal genres together, which makes them really unique.

Can I add my most hated albums recently? That would be Chimaira's newest album....

Good To Be Bad [Whitesnake]: David Coverdale still have that sexy voice, wish had it as well! Still great numbers, a very good record and they could cut it out after all these years. Doug Aldrich's guitar works is as sexy as Coverdale's voice.

new album? john Sykes still there? Or is it only Doug Aldrich now?

5) Alter Bridge - Blackbird
Although considered by many as a radio band, you really can't deny the amazing musicianship in this band. I love the creative bass playing in this album, as well as the bits of drumming. And of course, Mark Tremonti's driving riffs and solos as well as Kennedy's voice. Impressive display of talent.

WORD. Forgot to include that one... Excellent Album. I actually thought they had improved a lot as songwriters over the last few years.

the drumming is AWESOME!

P.S. If you liked this, then be sure to check out the Sixx AM album... it's not what many people would expect from a Motley Crue member... No 80s rehash here...

stadium arcadium by the red hot chili peppers
continuum by john mayer.

i agree with whitestrat on where the light is.its just an awesome album..and its live.

I don't know how many people are into the hardcore/post-hardcore thing here, but personally I love it and these two were AWESOME.

1) Gallows - Grey Britain
2) Enter Shikari - Common Dreads

Yes you may say "pfft those are mainstream now", but then you'd get a big "who cares?" from me. I've listened to them over and over and still I find them great. Obviously not the top in technical nor songwriting terms, but I CHALLENGE you to find me an album angrier than Grey Britain or just cooler than Common Dreads is. :)

^ I liked Take to the Skies better, although Common Dreads is starting to grow on me.

As for me

Colors - BTBAM
Bleed - Meshuggah
Crack The Skye - Mastodon.

Dream Theater - Black Clouds and Silver Linings
Loved almost every track of it, especially the epic opening from A Nightmare to Remember. The solo in The Best of Times is awesome. My favourite DT album other than Scenes from a Memory. Definitely my favourite album for now, gotta listen to it everyday. :eek:

Sonata Arctica - Unia

Never really listened to much of their older stuff, but Unia's got this softer touch and more melodic. Nice tracks like Caleb, To create a Warlike Feel and It won't fade.

Black Stone Cherry - Folklore and Superstition
Nice groove to their songs, got this classic rock kinda feel towards it.

Symphony X - Paradise Lost
Some cool tracks like Serpent's kiss and Set the world on fire, favourite track; Paradise Lost. Very nice build up of the songs. Prefer some of their older stuff on The Divine Wings of Tragedy though.

Versaemerge - Versaemerge (Self Titled-EP)
Every track here is great! Lots of dark sounding feel towards their songs and very nice use of strings, will be eagerly waiting for their full length album!

:-D:mrgreen:

Gregory And The Hawk - Boats and Birds
This was something new to me, but nevertheless, it's really good.

Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy
Yeah, I know, no Slash, right? As long as I hear Axl I don't really care if it's good or bad.

Otherwise, I think I've been pretty stuck with the songs in my ipod :/

Latest posts

Back