must we follow chords when we solo?

hehe.....yea i knew dat...i guess we just ahve different ways of putting things...I was under the impression u were talkin of chromatic scales in particular...analogical to chopins theory.....I myself was suggesting the use of diatonic scales.....or for the advanced players....analysing the progression and adding their own colour to it....be it or not within the scale....ofcourse in that case oen must be aware of when u can add say a #11 or not....(just an eg.).....As for me...while improvising...i tend to stick to simpler diatonic scales...

You can follow the chords or choose to just play diatonically. It really depends on what effect you want to achieve. In most music you can use both approaches.

bin4christ said:
must we follow the chords tt the rhythm guitarist plays wen we solo?
4 e.g.,if the rhythm is G-D-Em7-Cadd9,r we restricted to only G,D,E n C?
When you play the chords G-D-Em7-Cadd9, it is just an improvised version of G,D,Em and C, making it sound better.
G,D,Em,C is the main chord you need to know first.

Yeap, G - D - Em7 - C is in the key of G major.

BUT!

If you play in D major, but start/end on the G note... along with those chords... you'll be playing in G lydian mode!!!

Have I opened a new can of worm? :wink:

Actually, in order to play in G Lydian along with those chords you'd need to change the C chord to C#dim. I think you probably realize this but just forgot to mention it?

Back