must we follow chords when we solo?

hmmm..see lots of different suggestions up there..like using modes and different variants of notes found in de scale of the chord progression over which u are soloing..but to be honest.. there's one pretty cheap which is to start ur solo on the note of the chord..say ur soloing over a song in the key of g...den start ur soloing on a g...here comes de impt part..so long as u start ur solo on the note of the key..u can basically solo in absolutely any scale..for example u can solo in g using a f major/ minor scale..f# major/ minor scale..etc...u name it..haha..but of coz u can't always start ur solos dat way..it'd b boring..but jus an added way to solo..:)

gutturalpiss said:
my comment on the drum, i meant as in to just go ahead n whack every tom n cymbal w/o any knowledge. coz frm bongman's short sentence i thot he was trying to say "play anyhow". coz the english is misleading actually..

other instruments can be played "anyhow" as well, no? now your sentence / english is confusing, to say the least.

guitarman78 said:
What bongman says is merely to play with the heart, which is really the ultimate objective of a musician. Scales and chords are merely tools we learn to acheive that objective. Some people has very good ears and dun really need to analyse these technicalities to "hear" these musical phenomenon.

Gutteralpiss ... Bongman's comments applies to Drums as well as guitars. melodic instruments need scales and chords .... rhythm instruments need rudiments and tempo. It's the same ... i think you need to expand on your understanding on the respective instruments ... :) no offense ... but whatever you type affects it's readers ... it's only natural that ppl response. :)
Its true that musician need a good ear to grasp the basics of playing the song well...With no good ears and music sense he may not follow the song correctly....

Having a good ear is the basis of musician...however need to play some riffs got from other musician as add-ons to make it sounds more professional...

As a musician who is starting out,it would probably be better to play in the given key....which in the example given was C major,the choice of which notes u wanna accent over which chords,and what phrasing u choose is left entirely upto u,but once u "master" a given key,itsprobably better to follow the chords to the best of your abilities as each individual chord,then your options for each chord increases vastly adn chances are that ur not gonna follow the chords the same way as the next guy..check out the site guitarlessonworld.com for some basics on the additions u cna make to a chord in a chord progression...to spice it up....and ofcourse there is always the process of odd groupings over an even time singature....something that jazz players like shawn lane and frank gambale do very often but i gues more glorified by marty friedman and jason becker ...

i guess a good form would be to modify arpeggio shapes over the chord progression to get a control over the possible additions and move it around the fretboard....
hope this helped :)

turbochicken said:
other instruments can be played "anyhow" as well, no? now your sentence / english is confusing, to say the least.
i just stated an example hello fren. drums, coz there r toms ard, n one can just get ahold of a stick n wham-bam, other instruments, u have to plug in first. thtz y i chose to state drum. if i put bass or key or evn guitar then other SOFTies like u would ask y i din put another instrument, no? Being too sensitive doesn't help my brethren.

koolguy74sg said:
guitarman78 said:
What bongman says is merely to play with the heart, which is really the ultimate objective of a musician. Scales and chords are merely tools we learn to acheive that objective. Some people has very good ears and dun really need to analyse these technicalities to "hear" these musical phenomenon.

Gutteralpiss ... Bongman's comments applies to Drums as well as guitars. melodic instruments need scales and chords .... rhythm instruments need rudiments and tempo. It's the same ... i think you need to expand on your understanding on the respective instruments ... :) no offense ... but whatever you type affects it's readers ... it's only natural that ppl response. :)
Its true that musician need a good ear to grasp the basics of playing the song well...With no good ears and music sense he may not follow the song correctly....

Having a good ear is the basis of musician...however need to play some riffs got from other musician as add-ons to make it sounds more professional...

you are right. ;) It's like learning a new language like taking french lessons doesn't mean you can speak french unless you interact with people with the language. That's where you imitate and inquire and learn .... but eventually you dun want to sound like a parrot ... :)

gutturalpiss said:
turbochicken said:
i just stated an example hello fren. drums, coz there r toms ard, n one can just get ahold of a stick n wham-bam, other instruments, u have to plug in first. thtz y i chose to state drum. if i put bass or key or evn guitar then other SOFTies like u would ask y i din put another instrument, no? Being too sensitive doesn't help my brethren.

sure. state it clearly then. your sentence was "then you might as well go play drums" or something similiar, and interpreting it as "then you might as well drum, coz then you can play with your heart or even anyhow play" is expected.

lemme help you.

"then you might as well, in the case of drums, anyhow whack any drum and just go with your heart without any structures in mind."

there.

on being sensitive, i'm sorry to say, you have to be sensitive to a certain extent to others with what you write or comment. personally, i sure wasn't being oversensitive to yours. you can either learn to be diplomatic OR learn to not write "foggily".

i rest my case. :)

gutturalpiss said:
turbochicken said:

I dun see a point in arguing to defend an insignificant statement made earlier ... if a remark is made that causes disagreement to a number of people and the remark is not worth defending ... i think it's best to resolve it ... i mean crack a joke or something ... when you defend further ... the only response is more protest. Just let go.

Actually, it is basically understood, Sir. I do not know whether the lot of you do, but if you do not, it is sad. You would understand, that when posting on Forums, most members do not use them as formal discussion platforms. Forums are for casual use, unless otherwise stated in the website itself. Thus, posters normally do not type in detail, like your recommended sentence. To have just stated a simple example in the heat of time, it is made into a big deal. Like I have said in my previous post, if I were to refer to a different instrument, it is unfair because only the percussions are open and one can "indulge" on the spot. As for the others, one would have to plug in to the amplifier. Now you wonder why I had to pick the line. The reason is simple. I do not go into detail, and I had expected SOFT members to be able to catch my tone - since it is known to harbour a kind and witty majority. I will not reply further regarding this matter, as it is only wise to stop trying to persuade an anti-party. Thank you for your time in aknowledging this post. That is, if you do. Happy New Year!

Regards

You got it half right! Use C minor pentatonic and change the song into a real rock song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Forget Avril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for those who understand music theory yet.

u should play in key according to the key of the songs,
different songs have different keys.

playing in keys means playing scales dat
has the same particular chromatic scales
with the key note.

ya i kinda know that the scale patterns relate to the key....but i was wondering whatu meant by there exist chromatic scales for the note....

oh dis one's easy,

wheneva u play any particular song,
the chords will be related,
as they have lots of similarity in the
scales,

even in singing or playing the melody,
u will notice dat dere are few notes,
dat is always flat or sharp throughout
the song

Back