Medicine for the local original market????

as compared with all those big names

Who are these big names?

Anyways, all the best to everyone who is in the music scene. Any tips or suggestions to really make the music business better, please list them here.

Pretty obvious that layman audience cares more for cover in Singapore and every part of the world. However, it's no use to just 'lay down your weapons and give up', it's up to us to find ideas to change the situation.
In fact, Singapore I feel has become overly supportive to covers and too little attention on original, way more than overseas, causing a bad negative situation for us original acts.

If we want to start the topic on the flow of local bands needing to improve their craft and such, it's impossible to answer or come to any conclusion, as we are talking about all local acts in Singapore, too general ... There are good acts and lousy ones.
However, it will be great we discuss on any ideas or suggestion we can speak about that can improve our local scene, that might give some good developments that will benefit everyone here .

I did give some suggestions earlier, we could discuss on them and see how valid are they...

Last edited:
Hehe, tip#2: Dont read the forums!

anyway, on similar note, appearing in the paper today, this article, from one of me local hero, dating back to bigo mag, livonia and that original 59/60s jazzmaster playa!

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Showbiz/Story/A1Story20110719-289826.html

IT'S no big revelation to state that the music industry worldwide has gone through huge changes since the advent of the Internet.

And thanks to that, it seems the time has come for indie bands (I use this term to encompass all types of music that are basically non- mainstream; the kind lauded by websites such as Pitchfork, and which feature prominently in festivals such as Coachella, Glastonbury and SXSW).

As a member of a home-grown band, I can safely say that, although the public is more aware than before of the indie band, there are sparse opportunities for them to be seen and heard.

Take, for example, the $1.5-million SingaPop! concert announced recently. Its line-up doesn't include any local indie bands, many of which have had significant followings and radio airplay from the 1990s to the present.

On the Internet, there is a breathtaking range of musical options waiting to be discovered at the click of a mouse.

Bands now use the power of the Internet to establish a direct relationship with their fans. A staggering volume of content is available online, and it can be previewed, purchased and downloaded instantly from a variety of platforms.

Underground bands have invaded the sacred space previously held by mainstream heavyweights, a phenomenon that was undeniable when Arcade Fire won a Grammy earlier this year and when Bon Iver, who had never so much as made a dent on radio or MTV, landed the No. 2 album on the US Billboard chart recently.

And did you know that R&B star Beyonce recently announced her interest in collaborating with indie rock band of Montreal, while her husband, rapper Jay-Z, has lauded folk-rock indie band Grizzly Bear.

Perhaps it's no wonder. The indie band sets imaginations alight. Their music adorns soundtracks to popular movies and television shows.

Their members have been seen hobnobbing and even hooking up with Hollywood's elite. Pop culture has been re-defined.

Yet, in Singapore, it seems that indie bands continue to be sidelined.

In the case of SingaPop!, the Aug 20 concert features Vernon Cornelius, Sakura Teng, Kit Chan, Olivia Ong, John Molina and Dick Lee - names you would pretty much recognise immediately.

But where are Humpback Oak, Concave Scream, The Oddfellows, The Great Spy Experiment, or The Fire Fight?

They, and many more indie bands, have contributed at least a classic song or two to Singapore's music landscape, and have helped define music for a generation of Singaporeans.

They've inspired other musicians to pick up an instrument and dream of rocking the stage.

The Oddfellows instilled that vision in me, and I have been humbled when younger musicians tell me the same regarding previous outfits I've been involved in.

The message that SingaPop! sends out is this: Unless you're a household name, you don't matter. Thankfully, on that very same night, the Esplanade's Baybeats festival will be on.

That festival is the one glimmer of hope in Singapore's mainstream concert scene, as it has pushed local talent since its inception.

My question is: Why aren't there more gigs like that one?

Only when we begin to support the music scene in a big way will it thrive and be able to truly expand.

I wonder how much does it cost to put together a Baybeats? More or lesser than $1.5 million?

Hehe, tip#2: Dont read the forums!

anyway, on similar note, appearing in the paper today, this article, from one of me local hero, dating back to bigo mag, livonia and that original 59/60s jazzmaster playa!

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Showbiz/Story/A1Story20110719-289826.html

OK so whats the moral of the story?
1. You won't get performing venues easily?
2. You'd be better off marketing your music over the internet?
3. The gahment is tired of indie music in Singapore getting so much attention that it needs to ask Sakura Teng to come out of retirement and get back front and centre?

Joint Causes

I have a sudden 'apple drop on the head' idea that may work..
An experience i just had from a charity event (supporting autistic kids) that wanted bands to volunteer.. which to me, was like a 'poor rob the poor' method..

Why don't everyone joint causes in creating events???
How about this kind of events???

'Original Music for Autistic Kids' event
'Original Music for Cancer patients' event
'Original Music for Aids patients' event
'Original Music for Poverty families' event..

These charity events are always filled with bands playing covers.. they only fight for 1 cause..
So are events fighting for original music, only fighting 1 cause..
Why not joint efforts???
If the whole stream of such events cater mostly for original acts/bands.. won't that give a large exposure ring to original acts?? In this way, original bands/acts can survive, getting paid, from donors/sponsors money for their efforts (a token of appreciation $$), get exposure, as well, fight for good causes..
At the same time, government aid can also be more appreciative to original acts/bands since they see it's a 'kill 2 birds with 1 stone' method..

Haha. When Chinese pop artists go overseas to start their career nobody bats an eyelid. But Inch has been tirelessly working the ground here for years and I guess it's sooner or later you reach a limit. Seriously, reaching SXSW as a solo artist yet getting hardly any notice here? The choice would be clear to me too.

Like to share this video clip with everyone who is trying hard to get somewhere in their music career. Derek Sivers is the founder of CD Baby. Check out also his new projects to help musicians. New book “Anything You Want” available at sivers.org/​a

derek sivers is no longer at cd baby since he came to singapore to meet some of the musicians i believe 2 years ago??

he has sold cd baby arady: i do believe that singapore musicians can be worldwide commercial success if the people here especially management & leaders, media, etc STOP being so racist against singaporeans and blindly bias for FT and against all things singaporeans ... my personal 2 cents worth ...

derek sivers is no longer at cd baby since he came to singapore to meet some of the musicians i believe 2 years ago??

he has sold cd baby arady: i do believe that singapore musicians can be worldwide commercial success if the people here especially management & leaders, media, etc STOP being so racist against singaporeans and blindly bias for FT and against all things singaporeans ... my personal 2 cents worth ...

Right..!! There are good bands i hear locally..when anyone bothers to dig...problem is... say the word you are Singaporean.. and did they listen??? NOPE!!! Straight judgement down the throat..without even actually listening...!!!!
Reminds me of a time when i did sound for a 'up there' band.. that was when i started joining my previous company as full-time sound engineer.. a drummer (some 'big shot' long experience fella) was to perform. The previous guy helping him was on morning shift, and i was to take over for the event. He asked me where the previous fella was, i mentioned that guy have went home, i'm taking over as sound engineer.. And he commented to his band 'Oh no, that means we don't have a sound guy tonight!'.. in my mind was 'What??? You've seen me only for the 1st time, i haven't even touch the mixing board and i'm already judged as bad???'... days later, that fella came to me and told me my sound ability is good..

Last edited:
it's difficult to remove the kind of prejudice singaporeans have against singaporeans.

quite simply put, if you want singaporeans to respect you, you're got to get the Caucasians to respect you first.

Guys, stop putting these negative thoughts into your mind. If you keep thinking that Singaporeans are not supporting your music because you are Singaporeans, it is just finding excesses for ourselves. With the ease and reach of Internet, what is stopping our music from being liked? Singaporeans or otherwise.

I have set up a site to promote local original music. If you need more love, please check out http://music412.com/

to the contrary, i'm not putting negative thoughts into my head, or anyone's head.

I love this country. It is my home. And a home that is quite politically and economically stable at that.

I just think that to be commercially successful, and to be locally successful are two different things.

Seriously, reaching SXSW as a solo artist yet getting hardly any notice here? The choice would be clear to me too.

There are a few Singapore bands and artist who went to SXSW, did the event helped them advance their music career in USA? Anyone with insider news wanna share?

I know I said I was out of here but I cannot take it.

Just get better at music, get better at technology, get better at marketing, and write and perform with more sincerity.

Seriously, if it's so terrible, just leave for a better place, because constantly griping about it is just going to make what should be productive discussions here an eyesore for young kids just starting out. For many, this place is their first foray into the local scene.

Let them work hard and learn whether they want to trudge ahead or not, they do not need anyone feeding them your bitterness.

ALL YOU CAN DO IS JUST KEEP WORKING HARD

@daryle: This is not directed at you.

Guys you want the truth? Just make sure that you don't cry on the way out...
Look us musicians with jobs we practice what 2hrs a day? Honestly thats not good enough!
I remember telling my students to practice 4hrs a day and they used to stare at me as though
i asking them not to eat for 24hrs!! Come on la you guys expect to be pro with just 2-4hrs a day?

I met musicians who knows their Ps&Qs when it came down to music. But when asked about their
equipment, origins, or why they chose their equipment they know jiggly squat!

Asked about styles they can tell the distinct difference of classical rock, neo classical rock, progressive
rock but cannot even tell you about the song structure of lesser known music styles like
Makossa, Scat music & Bluegrass. You call that passion? I call that miserable!

Asians are smart and I believe that completely as we can come up with the most complex riffs
ever composed. But I can tell you that we are lazy too and unless we wake up our idea we would
be the same as Jerry C messing up on a live show!

Look i'm not putting you guys down but if you saying your creative show it! You got 1001 musical
instruments at your disposal and you choose to use guitars, bass, keys & drums? Why? You guys
say your committed and you cant sit at your instrument or bear to learn something new? Why?
Give me a reason to put you on stage best of all give SINGAPORE a reason to hire live musicians
rather then a tape player.

I know you guys hate me but the truth is if we are gonna stick to our cushy ways of sloppy lazy
playing trust me music in SG will never take off even if its 200years!

Back