MARTY FRIEDMAN Signature Ibanez!

ShredCow said:
Ah... well.. if you were talking abt the current SZ series, i don't see why you phrased your statement in that way... but no matter... :)

Yes I'm refering to the similarities between the Current SZ series and that of Friedman's intended signature model. There's no difference.

Essentially this is probably the classic ibanez course of action that they will take, slap on brand name pickups, Dimarzio/IBZ, Duncans, or just generic Dimarzios, put some inlay or decorative measure on the body, tell you they put don't know how many extra coats of polishing on their so-called "Prestige" neck and market it to you as a Marty Friedman Signature.

Damn Uber right?

You're just going to be putting down your money on a souped up "MIJ" or most probably MIK Prestige model.

Same guitar, different options, nothing new to me about that dude. :wink:

Well, I have no idea whats the sig model going to be like... I do hope its something nice...

I mean, stuff like the JPM or even the PGM are just incarnations of the RG line and IMO, yeah, kind of.. well.. lackluster....

But well, we shall see aye?

I mean, the MF sig guitar has 1 control pot and a 3-way switch and that nice star pick holder there! ;)

ShredCow said:
I mean, stuff like the JPM or even the PGM are just incarnations of the RG line and IMO, yeah, kind of.. well.. lackluster....

Exact reason why JP is with EB/MM right now. 8)

Well if it ain't broken don't fix it.

Well…this is the modern way for manufacturing, just like any other products.
Fujigen is OEM for Ibanez, Fender (some models), Epiphone, Yamaha, and G & L etc.

Unfortunately, quality drop and price went up became a phenomenon in big brands.

Either you go to a luthier and make your own guitar or go for a custom shop order seems to be a way out. But many of us are not fortunate enough to get that.

So live with mass production models of famous brands or find good qualify guitars from startups.

Just my 0.2 cent.

to say that there is a quality drop for Ibanez models in general isn't putting things in perspective. there are many Chinese/ Korean models currently to prove that quality-wise, Ibanez is doing fine. of course, there are bad apples along the way but these are remote cases. at the least Ibanez isn't a brand name which has a hype reputation to begin which had compromised construction masked underneath a particular finish... :roll:

FYI, the SZ models are not Mike Mushok spinoffs, they are the S-Classic derivative.

Ibanez SC Series
sc620-500.jpg

ShredCow said:
Anyway, heh... this goes to show Ibanez doesn't suck up to popular players. 8)

True. Ibanez doesn't suck up to popular players. If you guys disagree, go find out why John 5 left Ibanez and joined the Fender artist roster, and has his own signature axe. I am not too sure about this, but I think System of A Down's guitarist Daron Malakian joined Gibson recently and currently uses a SG.

SoulJah said:
There's nothing special about this model, Ibanez is merely taking a made in korea SZ520QMBBL with a US List price of 600 plus and slapping his name on it.

IMHO ibanez introduced the MIK SZ to test the market, now that it has proved to be popular, they're gonna put his name on it and earn big bucks.
There's nothing new about this guitar. Almost everything is the same as the exisiting SZ.

Hmm... You might want to step back and look at the bigger picture. Read these quotes:

subversion said:
here's what i know about the Ibanez Prestige issue, if you know more, help me supplement the details. in any case it had been mentioned before...

1. Previously, the authorities of Ibanez's parent company Hoshino, had a row & they decided to shut down Fujigen Gakki, the wing which handles Ibanez production.

2. Plans were under way & we saw many Ibanez models going to Korea, including the Prestige models of the non-RG models.

3. However, they decided not to close down Fujigen (very recent move), mainly due to reasons pertaining to sales impact.

4. As it is, only selected Prestige/ Other models are made in Japan under J-Craft management, however, no decisions were made (yet) as to whether the regular models RG/ S/ SA etc are gonna revert to Japanese management following the decision as stated above.

the Korean Prestige, namely the SZ/ S/ SA models are currently handled by Korea's World Music Company (the reason why serial numbers start with 'W'), the very plant which oversees the production of PRS' SE models. if you are about to doubt these models- don't. the finish/ fit/ playability are top notch.

and

subversion said:
there are people who won't even go near a non-Jap Ibanez. i think it helps if Ibanez states the country of origin in their catalogues, so that they know that even the professionals (eg: Marty Friedman/ Chris Camozzi) have nothing against non-Jap units.

Well, Fujigen has trimmed down its guitar manufacturing operations A LOT.
Fujigen will not be manufacturing Ibanez guitars, unless Ibanez changes its plans. Also, I heard speculation that Fender Japan will cease to exist pretty soon, it has become obsolete.
There are lots of things we don't know about Fujigen.

Given Ibanez's current situation, I think they are also trying to promote their MIK guitars when they release this model, which is a good thing, IMO. Since most people stereotype MIK as inferior to MIJ, which isn't true most of the time. Also, in an evolving economy, companies have to be efficient by practicing cost-savings. This benefits both Ibanez, its dealers and the end users (us).

I strongly believe that outsourcing doesn't necessarily mean a drop in quality, or inferior products.

SoulJah said:
It pisses me off how they market their products, I mean they may be good and all, essentially a company based on endorsements. Try finding some footage of factory operations on the net, or even try to find some useful information on their crap excuse for a website. They are highly evasive about factory production processes. No production is done at Ibanez itself. All japanese production is done at Fujigen, which essentially is a company on it's own, producing it own brand of guitars. Korean, Indonesian and other areas of production are allegedly made by the same folks that make cort.

Well, like what you said, Ibanez is just a Research & Design team. They rely heavily on outsourcing/contract hiring.
The reason why they are "evasive" or "secretive" is because revealing "manufacturing operations" may result in a conflict in interest.
You can't say that Ibanez is a sham, since Ibanez NEVER claim to manufacture guitars. Consumers need to be more responsible and discerning.
Yup, it's got nothing to do with the Japanese business culture.

"sloppy quality control"... Care to elaborate?

There is nothing wrong with outsourcing... It's just a common biz practice.

hmmm... jumbo... I have been reading from Jemsite abt the Japanese culture and hence the way Ibanez is so "secretive" abt their practices...

So that is actually nothing to do with the Jap culture?

jumbofret said:
"sloppy quality control"... Care to elaborate?

Yes I dare say it sloppy quality control.

Go into any music store selling Ibanez guitars, new ones of course, run your hand down the neck, edges of fret ends will greet you most willingly. Guitars with trem angles high as hell, action totally off, buzzing, finish drip marks. Binding coming off the neck.

Yeah you can say I'm an anal player, but I would never justify paying good money and being greeted by such standards.

Ibanez has had tonnes of problems even with their higher end guitars, I own a jem77fp, uv777bk and a jem90ham. My FP never gave me problems most probably due to the fact that it's a 90s model. The binding on the bottom of the locking nut on my UV was strangely missing from the factory. As a result of which the nice peeps at Sweelee gave me a discount on a special order that I made. Jem90s are notorious for finish problems on the pickguard. Don't even get me started on chromeboys.

The point is this, if you're going to market an instrument as being high quality or whatever, make sure you can stand behind and back your statements up to your consumers.

That's the reason why people like Scott Henderson, Frank Gambale and Reb Beach left Ibanez.

jumbofret said:
...I think System of A Down's guitarist Daron Malakian joined Gibson recently and currently uses a SG....

He does use an SG now... and I miss his older tone ... the new tone is more crunch orientated as opposed to the older chugga of the Iceman era.
The new tone does reflect a more matured player I guess. :)

On the topic of Malakian, SOAD's latest, Memerize, is an interesting album... but the production sounds more vintagey and less heavy... more matured compositions though... double bass drumming, 5/4 time sigs.. interesting interesting... The only nu-metal (are they still considered that?) band I can listen to.

SoulJah said:
...Jem90s are notorious for finish problems on the pickguard. Don't even get me started on chromeboys...

Ibanez was pushing the limit on those axes... find someone else who would do a chrome finish during the Chrome Boy era and have no issues coating the curved body of the Radius.

I mean... which other major manufacturer has tried doing chromed/mirror guitars?

Even today, the new alumiboy, though having a better finish, its not THAT durable.... or take the JEM7VWH and the gold finish that rubs off so easily...

however, if the reliability of the product is suspect (which is... chromeboys and the new Bad Horsie Mirror jem) then don't buy it. I feel you are generalising a lot of things based a select few examples.

Even when you mentioned trem angles, action... these things are all affected by climate/temperature changes and what not... and besides, the shop should resetup the guitars. I haven't seen drip marks except in cavities even on some Chinese made instruments. The fret ends I agree with you.

Scott Henderson and Reb Beach left for John Suhr guitars.. which would be perfect for people who know quality and can afford it. However, the designs are pretty traditional...

Frank Gambale has gone to Yamaha with a new 3k signature axe. Yamaha has great QC, better than Ibanez IMO.

Pushing the limit?

Yeah definately on the tolerances of consumers. FYI the chrome boy finish was already test out with the release of the JS2, finish problems forced them to stop at around 12 guitars. Even them with all the prior knowlege knowing what's going to happen to the finish, they still choose to release a js10, and now the new one. Time will tell.

Jem90ham, it just a simple issue of changing the pickguard material to something like stainless steel. I've done this mod for my UV777BK. Why slap on a pickguard that you know for a fact will tarnish in the first place, on an Anniversary model made to ironically mark 90 years of ibanez/tama quality?

Hmm... on the tolerances of consumers... well... consumers do want those chrome finishes and what not... I mean, the latest alumiboy has all been sold out. Ppl are buying the Bad Horsie.

Its a very personal arguement this one, and I feel you... I mean.. haha.. man! THe Jem90th pickguard is the stuff of nightmares... :) Aparently a fingerprint left unwiped will result in a permanant finger print!
And the new alumiboy is more durable... chrome a couple of microns thick... if there's scratches, you wouldn't be able to buff them out...

So yeah.. showcase guitars. ;)

neuro, I meant to ask if you were a closet gay... :lol:

Shredcow: There are many possible reasons I could think of, but Japanese culture... Generally, Asians have similar ideals and principles. Traditional and conservative.
We all agree that Ibanez is one of the most successful Jap guitar/bass companies in the world, along with ESP and Yamaha. The others, such as Tokai, Greco, Fujigen, Caparison etc have not reached that mark yet.

SoulJah, it seems that your pet peeves regarding Ibanez guitars are kinda restricted to the Vai/Satch stuff... Ya know, the JEM/UV/JS ones.

I wonder what you would say when you try a J-Custom...

I can't find any video footage on the Nike plant and they are being evasive about their heel binding process and where they import the air to make their air shoes! And I'm sure they are just a design team outsourcing to some secret child-labour prison factory in outer mongolian. I just love their shoes, especially the ones where they add red laces to their plain model and call it an NBA special signature limited edition anniversary model.

like it - buy it - play it

no like - no buy - walk away

Scott Henderson, Frank Gambale and Reb Beach left Ibanez.
maybe they were dropped for not being popular and not selling any guitars!

hey limppisskit... we're not here to give sarcastic remarks like that... come on... SoulJah has been very polite with his remarks and points.

btw, Souljah, have you tried the schaller arm mod for you Edge equipped guitars?

we're not here to give sarcastic remarks like that...

oh OK I'm sorry........this thread was just getting too serious, bad vibes with bash this, bash that, evil conglomerates......all sooooooo Ed Roman. :lol:

What ever happened buying guitars because they look pretty and because my fav artiist uses one? :D

Latest posts

Back