Manchester United 2008-2009 Season Thread

yeah i heard too that they might not be showing CL matches. Bloody hell! I hope it's not true!! As it is the footie channel ain't all that cheap.. :twisted:

Yep - thats rite ...I am not gonna get mio tv .. I'll just go watch at Arsenal fan club HQ at Elizabeth hotel

FGL D - hmmm....good to know. Didn't think you'd give in that easily. :mrgreen: Either way, i'm very happy.

Imagine me in a Man Utd jersey and shorts & FGL in an Arsenal jersey, walking hand in hand into the Man Utd Cafe. Ahhhh....What a sight to behold!

Valencia cuts holiday short to seal United move

Manchester United are inching closer to making Antonio Valencia their first signing of the summer.

The Wigan winger has cut his summer break short to try and complete his move to Old Trafford.

And the £16m deal is expected to be confirmed this week as Sir Alex Ferguson begins the task of spending the world record £80m fee United have just banked for the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo.

They hope Valencia, who scored just three Premier League goals last term, might be able to replicate the pace and dribbling ability of Ronaldo. However, getting anywhere near his goals output might be far more difficult, a factor emphasised at the JJB Stadium last month when the Ecuador flyer missed a sitter in the defeat to United.

Certainly most United fans - and probably Ferguson himself - would be disappointed if there were not further signings by September 1 given the problems he is juggling with.

As well as Ronaldo, the loss of Carlos Tevez, seemingly bound for rivals Manchester City, leaves another gap.

Karim Benzema has been touted as a potential replacement but has already given vibes he may prefer to go elsewhere, and even then in another year's time.

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar is another option but the Dutchman is more of a Ruud van Nistelrooy-type figure and Ferguson has been building his teams in a different way of late.

At the back of Ferguson's mind will also be the knowledge Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Edwin van der Sar are all preparing for what is expected to be their final season of top-flight action, with Gary Neville not far behind.

Twelve months ago, United appeared to have the replacements in place but doubts have emerged over Nani, Anderson and Ben Foster, leaving Ferguson with more big decisions to make.

There are further question marks over midfielder Owen Hargreaves, who is hoping to return from two years wrecked by a tendinitis problem, and record signing Dimitar Berbatov, who was inconsistent in his debut season.

OMG OMG OMG!! Yes!!

WE'RE GETTING VALENCIA!! WOOOOO!

This rainy & gloomy day is unfolding much better than I had expected :)

I'm so happy I could just kiss someone!

hmmmmm - ok so if I apply for mio - maybe U cud come over my pace to watch CL matches then ...

one condition - its gotta be the AFC

hmmmmm - ok so if I apply for mio - maybe U cud come over my pace to watch CL matches then ...

one condition - its gotta be the AFC

What do you mean it's gotta be the AFC? :rolleyes:

No no, if i'm coming over to your place for anything, it's gonna be for a Man Utd CL match.

Carlos Tevez has revealed his ''pain'' at being stuck on the bench at Manchester United and blamed manager Sir Alex Ferguson for their failure to defend the Champions League title.

The Argentine has spent time on the bench.

The Argentine, who will leave Old Trafford this summer, was left on the bench against Barcelona as Ferguson chose to start with Cristiano Ronaldo, Park Ji-sung and Wayne Rooney in attack.

However, the striker claims that Fergie's decision to leave him out of the Rome final backfired and caused the Red Devils to lose the chance to defend their trophy.

"You cannot argue with Alex Ferguson," said Tevez. "He is like the president of England. It is impossible, you always lose.

"But he made a mistake to leave me on the bench. That was the only final the team had lost since I had been at Manchester United."

Tevez is expected to sign for Manchester City for £25m this week, but he insists he had little choice but to leave the champions.

"My family knows how much I suffered at United. I could not arrive home after a match or a training session and forget my pain," he said. "It was not good and I transmitted all my sadness to them."

Oh right. Somehow I think I might not miss him that much after all.

Being unhappy and deciding to leave, claiming the lack of playing time (bullshit) is one thing. But publicly bashing the manager is just wrong.

And I'll like to see how many matches he starts at Man City, especially if they're gonna get Eto'o too. They've got almost thrice the number of Man Utd strikers.

Last edited:
Back