Manchester United 2008-2009 Season Thread

a goal from fletcher (or so he claims) settled the match. one-nil to man utd.

but from replays, its very much looks like an own goal to me.

replays showed evra crossed the ball, hit sol campbell, fletcher den the ball roll into the net and distin helped to put it further into the net...

anyways, hopefully fergie wont be buying for berbatov! he likes to sulk...he reminds me of ruud van nistelrooy...eventho both of them are prolific goalscorers, they are oso the biggest cry baby in the whole world...if united do get berbatov, i can bet with you all dat he wouldnt last 2 seasons in the red jersey b4 fergie ships him out!

Lolz........but he'll guarantee goals goals and more goals. Isn't that the aim? Who cares if he goes after 2 seasons? But lol to Man U, if u need ppl like Fletcher to score 4 u, ur in serious trouble.

Yeah manu is quite sad without ronaldo. But its not just his absence. Last season when manu had the injury plague the fringe players were able to cover more than adequately. I wonder if the drive is a little less now that they won both the epl and champions league last season..

Sigh dunno leh, Man utd this few matches abit heart pain to watch, esp the draw with Newcastle with that new Jonas guy..

Yeah, Man Utd quite sad w/o Ronaldo.. but i hope winning the last away match against Portsmouth shows that we're not too reliant on him. :)

Imo, Man Utd needs berba. Another target man would be good imo. But then i dunno who's fergie gonna take out for him..

On a lighter note, the da silva twins not bad also what, possebon also. Hopefully upcoming stars.

where got sad?! u guys should have seen yesterday's game against portsmouth...especially in the 2nd half...man utd were brilliant especially their passing! its only they couldnt convert their chances into goals cos portsmouth defence was quite good...even tho im a really big fan of ronaldo, united fans must always have this thinking dat united CAN go on without ronaldo...

I think its like last season la. Starting quite bad but as the matches go on, the team will get the winning rhythm and discover new motivation.

well the important thing is we got fergie.without his brains we wont get so far.i dont think scolari can even hadle such task like fergie.imagine his chelsea team being depleted.i dont think he can do the same feat as what fergie has done.

But i heard something about Fergie leaving soon..... : ( Couple of seasons maybe? Along with Giggs and Scholes.. ah well.

Actually about Chelsea now, they look quite formidable.. summore now Robhinio joining them. Actually got alot of good players at his disposal. lol.

Revealed: New blue kit for 08/09

United's new third kit has been inspired by the success of 1968, when the Reds wore blue while becoming the first English team to lift the European Cup.

To celebrate 40 years since that momentous night, Nike has created a new kit worthy of that great team and their famous 4-1 win over Benfica at Wembley. The new blue shirt includes a number of details that commemorate the achievement including the embroidery of the words 'May 29th 1968' and '40th Year Anniversary' around the crest.

United captain Gary Neville said: "I think it’s fantastic, I like the traditional kits. I think we should wear kits that represent the history of the club and this one certainly does that.

"I think you will think about that night and that team when you wear this kit, particularly with the embroidery of the date around the badge. The fans will love it."

Rio Ferdinand said: "When you look at the final image you will associate it with the great team of 1968 with the likes of George Best and Bobby Charlton.

"Obviously they won the European Cup in blue so we hope we can walk in their shoes again with this kit. It's such a big part of the history of the club."

Wayne Rooney added: "It’s a nice kit. It’s been designed to celebrate 40 years since the European Cup win so it’s great to have a kit that remembers that team.

"When you come to a club like United, the history of the club is something that is important for new players to understand. It’s different to go out in blue but it’s all part of the club’s history and I think that’s important."

United will play Villarreal, Celtic and Aalborg in the group stages of this season's Champions League.

The final dates and venues will be confirmed in due course, but provisional dates are listed below.

Groups Stages
Group A: Chelsea, Roma, Bordeaux, CFR 1907 Cluj
Group B: Inter Milan, Werder Bremen, Panathinaikos, Anorthosis Famagusta
Group C: Barcelona, Sporting Lisbon, Basel, Shakhtar Donetsk
Group D: Liverpool, PSV, Marseille, Atlético Madrid
Group E: United, Villarreal, Celtic, Aalborg
Group F: Lyon, Bayern, Steaua Bucharest, Fiorentina
Group G: Arsenal, Porto, Fenerbahce, Dynamo Kiev
Group H: Real Madrid, Juventus, Zenit St. Petersburg, BATE Borisov

Fixtures Dates
Matchday 1 16/17 Sept
Matchday 2 30 Sept / 1 Oct
Matchday 3 21/22 Oct
Matchday 4 4/5 Nov
Matchday 5 25/26 Nov
Matchday 6 9/10 Dec

why the hell is man u 2-0 down to zenit. i stopped watching cos its pointless. united look like they dont give a shit abt the game.

Uefa club footballers of the year.
BEST GOALKEEPER = PETR CECH
BEST DEFENDER = JOHN TERRY
BEST MIDFEILDER = FRANK LAMPARD
BEST STRIKER = CRISTIANO RONALDO

2008 winners
Cristiano Ronaldo's performances in inspiring Manchester United FC to victory in the 2008 UEFA Champions League earned him the UEFA Club Footballer of the Year prize as well as being named Best Forward. Chelsea FC's consolation for missing out on the European title came with individual awards for Petr Čech (Best Goalkeeper for the third time in four years), John Terry (Best Defender) and Frank Lampard (Best Midfielder). New voting procedures were introduced in 2005/06 with the head coaches of the 16 sides which reached the UEFA Champions League knockout rounds all having a say.

The UEFA Champions League, which evolved from the European Champion Clubs' Cup, is a seasonal club football competition organised by UEFA since 1992 (or overall in its older format since 1955) for the most successful football clubs in Europe. The prize, the European Champion Clubs' Cup (more commonly known as the European Cup), is one of the most prestigious club trophies in the sport. The UEFA Champions League is separate from the UEFA Cup.

The tournament consists of several stages. In the present format it begins in mid-July with three preliminary knockout qualifying rounds. The 16 surviving teams join 16 seeded teams in a group stage. Eight group winners and eight runners-up enter the final knockout rounds, which end with the final match in May. Previously only the champions of their respective national league could participate in the competition; however, this was changed in 1997 to allow the runners-up of the stronger leagues to compete as well.

The title has been held by 21 different clubs, 12 of which have won the title more than once. The all-time record-holder is Real Madrid with their nine wins.

The current holders are Manchester United who beat Chelsea 6-5 on penalties, 1-1 after extra time, in Moscow on 21 May 2008.

haha, ronaldo is the best striker even though he doesnt play as a striker most of the time!. great player though

yeah . he said that when he won the best striker award. he said ' Im a winger as you all know , but i won the award for what a striker should win . this gives me more confidence and i should blah blah blah blah............ '

i personally think lionel messi should be the best striker tho.

ps : notice chelsea picked up the rest.:D

chelsea representatives won the following accolades as a consolation to being second to United.

Latest posts

Back