Liverpool FC Thread

The Man City's factor

Man City's new Arab owner claimed to be richer than Chelski's Roman. They just stole Robinho right under Chelski's nose (not many teams can do that), and almost snatch Berbatov from ManUre. So I bet their signings are going to be massive in the January transfer window. Now with super cash rich Man City into the equation, looks like the title race is going to be tougher for everyone, including Liverpool. Unless our two American gringos sell the club to billionaire investors like DIC, Liverpool will always have to work on tight budget and often have to play catch-up. Like it or not, nowadays, success in the PL is usually about massive money. Poor Rafa have to work on miracles from now on. Your thoughts?

I'd agree with you. Look at the financial power of Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United and now, Manchester City.

Look at how Chelsea turned overnight when the Russian took over the reins. Look at how Manchester United and Arsenal always get their men. And now, the sale of Robinho to Manchester City is a big indication that without money, no talent will be attracted to your club.

It's disturbing that football has gone so commercial just like our mainstream music.

Zzz, Rafa will need Keane and Torres to click deadly if any miracles are gonna happen. But as far as I can see, ah, no. Besides, I think Riera is gonna turn out to be another flop and I cannot believe Rafa has sold his best right-back Finnan. :/

Yeah, selling Finnan is a mistake. IMO, he's better and more consistent than Arbeloa. That Deggen dude has the potential to be a flop. Me thinks this will be Rafa's last chance and season.

The owner of Man City said he wants to sign Torres among others. Well, he can wait long long. He just wants to blow his trumpet to annouce his arrival. But our greatest fear is that the 2 yankee doodles in L'pool's board room might want to make a quick buck, and decide to sell him on the sly - without the manager's appoval or knowledge. Such boardroom interference is already happening in clubs like Newcastle and West Ham, resulting in their best players being sold and both managers quitting.

Finnan, is a good player, but is maybe a little too old?
I really hope Rafa stays, or gets enough money next season to even mount a proper challenger on the other teams.

I believe Rafa is a good manager. I want him to stay. He does get the best out of his team but the biggest problem that Liverpool has faced since the 1990s is the lack of good transfer deals. And Liverpool Academy has fallen short of talents like Jamie Carragher, Michael Owen and Steven Gerrard.

Look at Rafa's dealings in the transfer within the last 6 years. I'll say it hadn't been the best and I'll gladly say that only Alonso, Mascherano, Reina, Babel, Lucas and Torres are the good buys. The rest are either flops or half-flops.

Although as much as I'd love to blame the problem on the lack of fund, perhaps Rafa's judgment on players aren't as good and profound as the other managers around like Wenger.

Where are my Stewart Downing, Joe Cole, Gareth Barry, David Villa, Silva that we were linked to this season?

How I wish I'm a billionaire. I could buy Liverpool and immediately transform it to the powerhouse we had. And the very first thing I'd do is to buy Owen back. LOL.

I do believe he's done so much better than other mangers in the past like Souness, or Houllier to name a few.

Always have target, always no money. :???:

Yeah, in every sense except the transfer deals.

I mean, you should remember Morientes, the Valencia world-class striker that became a flop. It was as bad as Houllier buying Salif Diao.

But the cost of Douf and Diao meant that Damien Duff, who obviously would be a good buy wouldn't come to Liverpool, now that's not exactly what I call a fair trade.

Mr Houllier previously proclaimed.....Diao is the next Viera, Cheyrou is the next Zidane

What was that Frenchman thinking?!! Luckily he didn't say.....Diouf is the next Henry :D

But credit to him for bringing in the likes of Hyppia, Finnan, Risse, McAllister, Dudek (CL hero).

Cheyrou was the biggest let-down in the Houllier-era. I realized if Houllier didn't have Owen, he would have been finished early. :/

If Rafa didn't buy Torres last squad and have Gerrard in his inherited squad, I think Rafa would have been finished long ago.

Oh well...

Yeah............any news on whether they'd be back against Man U? I really hope so. And i think Riera wld add that badly needed pace on the flank. He's fast, real fast and has pretty good end product, judging by the La Liga matches featuring him that i saw last season. I Just hope he can adjust to the English game like Torres did. And about Rafa, i think he isn't astute enough to find out really good deals on the transfer, like Wenger, Hughes or O'Neill. But he can produce results, evident in the CL 2005 Final. I hope he stays, given a little more time he can build in a winning squad. Fergie took 6 years to do so.

Gerrard, maybe. Torres, no.

Hmmm, Riera... Really fast? By the way, I thought we had Babel on the left?

Edited:
I just watched Riera on youtube. He reminds me of Ronaldo and Quaresma. Wow.

Last edited:
Babel is a right footer, so he's better on the right. Similarly for Pennant, who will be a good backup for Babel. Putting these 2 on the left means they will always be cutting in and playing thru the middle, which makes it all too predictable.

I kind of like this starting line-up.

----------------Reina----------------
Arbeloa Carragher Agger Dossena
Babel Mascherano Gerrard Riera
------------Keane Torres-------------

IMO, Kuyt doesn't offer much in offence. Lots of hardwork but not much real threat. He can come in later as a sub for one of the strikers or Babel.

Babel really reminds me of Henry. Just need the right treatment and we'll get the best out of him.

Riera... Hopes he settles well. I'll want Kuyt to partner Torres though. Kuyt to provide the necessary harass and bulk while Torres slips in to finish. Like Heskey and Owen. Lethal combination.

Babel really reminds me of Henry. Just need the right treatment and we'll get the best out of him.

Riera... Hopes he settles well. I'll want Kuyt to partner Torres though. Kuyt to provide the necessary harass and bulk while Torres slips in to finish. Like Heskey and Owen. Lethal combination.

Kuyt? Bulk? Only similarity is pronunciation. Yes, with Babel on the right and Riera on the left, given that he settles in quickly, will be a lethal combination. Now, if only Keano or N'Gog can produce the goods. And Liverpool don't get so complacent during corners like last season's match Benayoun was the culprit. C'mon, Gerrard get back quick!

We're still doing good, Villa is a good team.
Hope everyone picks up their game, stay fit and the season will progress from there. Oh at the same time also for the Americans to sell away their damn shares.

Ya.........shyte. I wish those DIC guys wld come in and save us. Although i admit it'll look a lot like another Man City. I jus hope that if the DIC gets Liverpool, they'll take a lower-key approach, build a new training academy for ENGLISH youngsters and not advertise their intentions as brashly as their neighbours over at Abu Dhabi. I think the Liverpool fans will understand if they decided to develop younger players and win the title in time with more home-grown talent than if they were to buy all ready-made stars. No guarantee they'd fit in anyway, as Shevchenko found out. Oh well..............we'll find out this saturday!

Zzz, don't raise your expectations too high.

Does any of you remember how you started to support Liverpool? Haha, I had supported Liverpool since young ever since Michael Owen exploded into the scene. He's my football hero and because of him, I decided to support Liverpool!

Back