Jazz in SG - Recommendations?

Creeping_Deth

I've recently turned into a jazzhead, and I was wondering where I could get my fix of it locally. I prefer a small intimate setting with piano, instead of the big band kind, and some lead guitar would be nice too, though sax is the lead instrument of choice in jazz.

Also, might anyone know where I could find instruction to go down the much ignored path of jazz guitar (especially lead). Thanks.

Rick Smith gives lessons i think, plays at the Harry's at Boat Quay.. Bernie who teaches at a poly also gives lessons for jazz..

PM me for more info..

au contraire - there is no jazz in singapore EXCEPT rick smith's jazz cover band 'the chromozonic mongoloids' at harrys and they have been there for the longest time thus filling that slot till they all collapse and die, in the mean time no upcoming real singaporean jazz talent can get their chance to play.......

OUT WITH 'EXPAT' BANDS!!!!

Why does the Singapore jazz scene seem so underground? Everyone too busy playing rock star? Or maybe im just not looking hard enough.

Anyone know who are the premier saxophonists in sg and where they play? Or the best local jazz vocalists who can belt out fitzgerald/sinatra/armstrong effortlessly, with a top notch backing band to boot?

Also, there is this jazz society in Singapore who does big band stuff. Has anyone seen em perform?

Keep the passion for jazz alive!

PS: I'll definately give Harry's a try.

Good to hear that you are pursuing something you like, V!

But IMHO, why don't you save the judgements?
For whoever that might be pursing their dreams of being rockstars etc, are not so much different from one who's attempting to master and appreciate Jazz.

:wink:

No la, I mean I see so many ppl running around with no regard for anything but strumming simple power chord tunes to a vocal line, and getting popular for it. They're becoming something like boybands with guitars. Yet they dont want to sit down n listen to something with more substance. The rockstar comment isn't directed at all the true rock stars(I'd rather call em musicians, and sarcasm on the net is cold), but those wannabes who only want to be seen.

Looks like I've crossed some line I guess. Back to the topic.

I can enjoy quality pop, but that doesnt mean I have to like people who hop onto the bandwagon to share the limelight. But thats really not the point anyways. Back to the topic.

True voice? Sure Rick and the guys have played at Harrys for a while, Maybe thats because they are good at what they do!! Christy Smith on Bass etc recognized as being a top player anywhere in the world. Sorry man but look closer, the band also contains local talent. The way music should be-no crap with race ,creed or colour, just playing music. So please keep racist comments our of these forums, we do not need you!!.
Creeping Death, you should go to Thompson community centre on Sundays, Join the Thompson music club, they have a few "Big bands" and combos. A good mix of local guys and Ex pats. all levels so you can ease in to jazz at your own pace.

My brother can teach i think, but his schedule if full i think..but hey if u need any info just pm me. He is currently teaching at the german school. And a few private students.

the_true_voice said:
au contraire - there is no jazz in singapore EXCEPT rick smith's jazz cover band 'the chromozonic mongoloids' at harrys and they have been there for the longest time thus filling that slot till they all collapse and die, in the mean time no upcoming real singaporean jazz talent can get their chance to play.......

ummm... i'm not too sure bout that... there are quite a few actually, juz that they're not really accepted yet. Singapore now is still stuck in some funny convention. Play the local radio and u get the idea. All that comes out now are always R&B or sum funny femal artist... it juz sucks... Lazy lizards is a singapore jazz band, and they're good...

the_true_voice said:

they are a good band and they pull the crowd. as working musicians, i don't see why they can't protect their jobs by being

(a) good
(b) marketable that they will draw a constant crowd for their establishment and contracters. (you can argue that since they are expats they will attract expats, but hey, that's marketability as well. but hey, jazz is universal as well right? so we can all enjoy a nice night out at Harry's if we wanted to as well.)

if anything, they provide good competition for any new talent that wants to break the scene. if we want our scene to improve, we need to constantly raise the bar on some of the standards set by others.

Creeping Death ... You may be surprised that there are loads of Jazz musicians in Singapore who can play .... you just need to explore hard enough. People Like Andrew Lim, Colin Yong, Wen with Wired to name a few.

Not to mention legendary National treasure Joshua Wan who was like King of Bass in Berklee at his time .... Adam Lee whom i have personally witnessed his killer Fusion Guitar style. Taj Mahal, Tama Goh ... the Late Edmund Brenson who is one of the Asian Drummer endorsed by Zildjian? Elvin Tan plays pretty good Samba .... Gary Tan was resident drummer in Crazy Elephant since 18 .... Paul Ponudunnai (unsure spelling) is a superb FingerStyle Guitarist .... Ernest Young is another Old chap whom i saw him play "the way you look tonight" Chord Solo.

How Jeremy monterieo and his sister Clarrisa? They have contract with Verve records. Jacintha recorded a few Jazz albums too. There are tonnes of local talents available and still up and coming.

You can't explore the genre just by surfing the net and hang out in bars a couple of months. Stay with the scene ... dun just draw a conclusion like "Jazz scene is underground" or "everyone's busy being rock star". And you are right ... you are just not looking hard enough because you haven't been hanging out enough. And you wanna know the scene, you hang out in Jazz Bars every single weekend from 10pm to 3am ..... follow the Jazz movements in CHIJMES, HArry's, Hotels, Jazz at southbridge, Bluenote, etc ... learn the vocabulary of Jazz step by step ... that is IF you are REALLY keen.

Paul plays on Friday Esplanade ... you can also visit Thompson CC on Sundays ... they have a Thompson Big Band that is pretty well known in SG and some influence overseas too ... Jazz at southbridge is happening every weekends ... of course Chromozone is always at Harry's Boat Quay.

Enjoy your expedition.

Latest posts

Back