"is there such a thing as the 'singapore sound'?"

hi,

it may have been discussed on the forum before but i havent been able to find it.

back in '98 the above mentioned phrase came up in Bigo. basically it read that music in Singapore had yet to find its identity.

how much has changed since then?

It hasn't. No such thing as Singapore Sound or music, but there is a drink called Singapore Sling. Or something like that.

Dick Lee could be the closest thing to the Singapore Sound tho... HAHAHA! :lol:

the singapore sound is all-around whining and bitching about the local scene not giving artistes any opportunities >_>

visa said:
the singapore sound is all-around whining and bitching about the local scene not giving artistes any opportunities >_>

+1. opportunities are there. you just need to a) be ready, and b) take them.

Singapore sound? Singapore Idol? Jue Dui Superstar? SLY? Kelly? Phua chu Kang? Dick Lee? Siva Choy?
These are names that which we know and names which rings a bell to the general crowd. The audience to local music is small ... but it's definitely growing. Takes time i guess ....

I believe culture can be gradually cultivated .... it's a trend ... a corelation between an individual and a population .... we don't really have a long history and depth in music ... we are relatively young and our influences mainly comes from the west ..like babies, we ought to learn from them who preceeds us exceedingly. hence its hard to say create a genre for ourselves ... but it can come if we allow the history of local music to be written and passion passed down. Singapore will keep trying and some bands will make it big enough to change something bit by bit. And when it happens ... be proud that we are one of the bulidling blocks of that which is distinctively ours.

I wonder what should we call it? SingRock? SingPop? SingMetal? LionheadMetal? Any takers?

sanyorita said:
RONIN - black maria woohoo!

i dunno if ronin is the representation of the singapore sound..i mean i like their songs but to say they represent the singaore sound is a bit off ah..

i would say MAJULAH SINGAPURA would be the singapore sound :twisted:

YEAH...I MAY AGREE WITH U BUT HEY, WE STILL HAVE TO BE PROUD OF THEM LARH.... hahaha.... it's MADE IN SINGAPORE for goodness sake...

maybe we need a band doing singapore national songs.
imagine ronin or west grand boulevard going 'we love singapore! Our homeland! forever, we will stand , UNITED!"
sounds very 'singlapora' (nt a speeling mistake :lol: )

17wil...that's really original arh...hahahaha... BANDS SHUD DO THAT... and spink_grrl101...ya larh... i think singapore sound should really be really SINGAPOREAN...u noe the songs shud supoport the things that make sound SINAGPOREAN...with the singlish...the "lah" etc etc... weeee!~

Latest posts

Back