"is there such a thing as the 'singapore sound'?"

Haha. Ronin's Version, Hardcore screaming version. WestGrandBoulevard the funky and melodious version(whatever). Electrico's version the electronic version. Hah.

Man, I don't make sense.

I still sing the National Anthem with pride. Just a little sleepy cuz it's usually 7plus in the mornin. Lol.

look at singapore itself. is there anything definitive about singapore. we're just a diverse lot. look at any aspect of singapore life and ull find something thats "not original", with the exception of singlish. so no there is nothing called the singapore sound. theres only metal, rock,pop,punk, and any other genre u can think of.

although, at least rudra created vedic metal.

haha..my school is a little dead when it comes to singing the national anthem..lol..

anyway,back to the topic,i think that the definition of the singapore sound is subjective..n besides music is universal..i dun care what type of music defines singapore as long as its good,i will take the time n effort to listen.. 8)

ronin doesn't become the singaporean sound just because they are from singapore. pug jelly was formed in singapore, and they are X_X

Does anybody remember the song "Why you so like dat?"

from the late 80s or early 90s i remember.

i had the cassette.

doesn't get more singaporean than that.

hi all, ya this phrase has been heard ever since the early 90s...hmm frankly don't really give a SH*T if any good music is made in singapore, UK or US whatever...but IMO, having followed singapore music for so long, i really think is comparable to most of the best (especially in today's context and music) much better than any UK or US music nowadays...but then again is subjective la...being brought up with 80s pop, late 80s rock and pretty much of the 90s...but from 2000 onwards, i pretty much avoided the radio not sure why...haha. one can just give ur ears a listen to ESP's FOR PEACE and wonder why some nuts out there still think singapore music doesn't have the "SINGAPORE SOUND"? do i care what sound? what is that? as long as it rings and etch a memory in my head and tugs a string in my heart...i dun really give a damn...

Anyway, as a testament and tribute to singapore music, Oddfellows, humpback oak, padres, ronin..whatever..bring them on! Let singapore music live on...critics or what...All u music makers of this sunny island..i salute u and just to share a tune from my then band from 1997- 2000 when we were still around...and played a few gigs here and there. did this on a 4- track machine and quite the best song we had written, well could have been recorded better though...cos heard comments like the vocals were too what? too this too that..the bass too what...too this too that! hahai hope u all enjoy...if is painful to your ears...my apologies! pls click on the link below to download =)

http://s4.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3UK9IVT3JILTX1GM0QUH15VNJ4

Some short notes :

one of our band songs then called THE
RESURRECTION back in '99 when our band were still
around. there was a lot of talk about the coming of
Christ and all that soothsayer talk then about the
coming millenium so i was quite inspired to write a
song about all that. my lead was playing around with
a riff and instrumental back then so i tot i could
write something around it. sat down one afternoon and
wrote the lyrics to this soon after....

LYRICS :

The Resurrection - Overture

Don't you think the sky is telling a story
One that makes you cry, one that makes you happy
We wait a thousand years just for today
The day you will by judged and i pray it's ok

Stop telling lies cos they tell none
Go on tell your friends the one's coming
Close your eyes, shut the doors
Brace yourself for the Resurrection...

In the dead of the night and you woke up
You're drenched in cold sweat
and your heart's pounding fast
Ask your heart what have you done lately
Or have your sins caught up
but you're blinded completely

Stop telling lies cos they tell none
Go on tell your friends the one's coming
Close your eyes, shut the doors
Brace yourself for the Resurrection...

And when everythings gone will we still be here?
To live the human spirit that we hold so dear
Times when you feel lost and running out of time
Rest assured, love will keep us alive

Your frank comments appreciated! u can still find my good bassist MERVYN who is playing bass in a pub band now..called ALTEREGO...havent got the time to see him yet but try to...if u reading this MERVYN...all the best.go support him ok....as for me..am pretty much retired just playing bedroom music..haha..cheers everyone, apologies for writing soooo longgg =) CHEeRs

http://alteregoband.blogspot.com/

cool. i agree with lars in the sense that if there ever is a singapore sound its going to be a mix of everything, according to how the different cultures have culminated since singapore's early history. even singlish- its essentially a mix of english and malay and chinese dialects. but thats exactly it: when is there gona be a sound or a kind of music that is gona be as unique but also as recogniseable as singlish, and still pleasing to the ears (haha)?

that said, guitarman said something interesting- that there has to be 'a corelation between an individual and a population.' id agree that dick lee's fried rice paradise just as an example is as singaporean as it gets, but if everyone reeeally agreed with that then we would have seen way more musicians/ bands being more influenced by him.

as for now, well, its just a little too late i think. thank globalisation :) just think: the europeans created classical, and africans (and credit to americans too) created jazz, but neither can really say they own their creation anymore. its all universal genres now.

anyhoo, i brought it up cause i thought it could help in my essay but i finished a long time ago so thanks. bye.

So Phua Chu Kang's SARS song has the "singaporean sound" since it has a WHOLE lot of Singlish in it? Lol. Ah well, music is music. Wtml is all these singaporean sound anyway. :lol:

Eh watch tv lah.

There was this band called the Culture Vulture which incorporates traditional instruments of the 4 main races of S'pore into their songs. Cant remember their song names though.

guitarman78 said:
pepper ... give a tribute to Taufik and Sly la ... they are national music icon now ...
Lol. Music icons yes. But I still don't get what's "Singaporean Sound". It's very ambiguous, don't you say? Lol.

Okay luhh. TAUFIK ROCKS! Haha. I don't wanna say Sly rocks lei. =( Lol.

Pepper:

it's true ... nobody can define what sounds like Singaporean music. Neither can anyone exactly tell how a band is from America, Britain or Holland? The line is thinly drawn ..... but we can give an aggregate by the pool of bands we've heard before. I guess that would be a guideline then. Furthermore, Singaporeans are heavily influenced ... as i've said ... we're young ... and still learning to mimic others. Originality is a good effort though .... all i can say is that ... it takes time ... so we have to be patient before we can get there.

Come to think of it ... maybe the only Signature we can have ... is the very thing that we can never get rid of .... Singlish!! Yeah .... talking about Singaporean Sound ....

talking about PCK .... gurmit singh is attending a church i used to attend ... Grace AOG. We used to make the PCK "use your brain" slogan on him when we were teens ... he will always be sporty enuff to give us back the PCK look ... right in my face .. at least that's not what every PCK fans get ... Not that i am one ok? :?

Singapore sound, to me, is the voice of Stephanie Sun.

There're many other sounds (voices, noise... watever u call it) that comes from this island... funny (ie boredphucks), crappy (kopi kat klan - why you so like that), americanish (countless :roll: )... n so on... but all these falls into other categories like reserves, B grades, and maybe even trash bins.

Back