if it doesnt twang, it's not a telecaster

bedokkids

Hi,

all, like to open a thread to share information about the Fender telecaster.
the twang sound is due to the fact of it's pickup postion and combination or the shape of the body.

so does a Humbucker ,P90, filteron... contribute to the twangy sound?

quote example like.. J5, jim root sign model.. the 70s telecaster?

thanks

if you want the twang, you'll have to have the 2 singlecoil classic telecaster, nothing else is gonna come close.

humbuckers, p90s, filtertrons etc are all not going to sound anything like a classic telecaster sound.

The 70s thinlines are unique in the sense that they're the only guitars to use the Fender WideRange pickups, which are the ONLY ones to use a CuNiFe magnet. Nothing else is going replicate the classic thinline sound, not even the reissues, simply because they don't make these pickups anymore.

i have two telecasters, a CIJ 62 Telecaster with Tex-Mex pickups and a thinline with P90s (well, humbucker-sized P90s) and they don't sound anything alike.

Take note that due to the scale length and construction, putting humbuckers or P90s on a tele is not gonna make it sound like a les paul/prs/etc either.. It's just gonna be a totally unique sound

The woods used and the pups used definitely contribute to twang. No just the pickup position.

Can you imagine those 80s Kramer superstrats? EVH having more twang because his pickup was slanted? Woah...

if you want the twang, you'll have to have the 2 singlecoil classic telecaster, nothing else is gonna come close.

"humbuckers, p90s, filtertrons etc are all not going to sound anything like a classic telecaster sound."

> singlecoil is the main contribution to twangy, ok.. how abt pickup like like dimarizo t zone, kent armstrong. can i image it as a hot pickup with more agggresive sounding twangy? thanks

The 70s thinlines are unique in the sense that they're the only guitars to use the Fender WideRange pickups, which are the ONLY ones to use a CuNiFe magnet. Nothing else is going replicate the classic thinline sound, not even the reissues, simply because they don't make these pickups anymore.

> always heard about thinline.... so which guitarist use thinline..for what kind of songs... thanks

i have two telecasters, a CIJ 62 Telecaster with Tex-Mex pickups and a thinline with P90s (well, humbucker-sized P90s) and they don't sound anything alike.

> what's a tex-mex pickup? which guitar use that?

Take note that due to the scale length and construction, putting humbuckers or P90s on a tele is not gonna make it sound like a les paul/prs/etc either.. It's just gonna be a totally unique sound

> i would imagine a thinner sound..maybe brighter... ? right

before this discussion carry on...

Define: Twang

and

Does everyone agree the said definition of TWANG.

cos I've read kids talking about Tele neck pickup it teh TWANG....

> always heard about thinline.... so which guitarist use thinline..for what kind of songs... thanks

These days, alot of the brit-rock/indie bands uses the thinline...or rather, guitars with the wide-range pickups such as the 72' custom tele, Tele deluxe or the thinlines. Examples include Coldplay, Franz Ferdinand, Radiohead, Blur, Rolling stones, etc. Of course there's no specific guitars made for specific genres of music but I guess jingle-jangle stuff can be covered by teles pretty well...(I know Subversion will show us how his metalified tele can cover metal too :mrgreen: Hee)

As for the original Seth-Lover Wide-range pickups used in the original (not reissue) teles...yeah, they're pretty rare these days and are quite hard to acquire. I know it cos I just sold one on ebay for $500+ ;) But frankly, they don't really contribute to the main 'twang' of teles...safest bet is still the bridge single coil...I think it's the combination of all the features of a tele that makes the twang, twang...the string-thru body, the pickup plate (or whatever they call it), the saddles and maybe even the tiny headstock (don't quote me on this one...hahah)

Twang is a technique, usually by country pickers ...similar to fiddlers syncopated ( is any rhythm that puts an emphasis on a beat, or a subdivision of a beat, that is not usually emphasized) sawing action.
And the Tele just happened to be the popular candidate!

I agree with Goosnique.... It's a technique and most players preferred the tele as their axe of choice. Not all teles twang like for example Jim Root's signature and the James Burton Signature because of the pickup choice and placement. But it's hard to really find a modern player who uses teles for their twang, or maybe I'm wrong?

Last edited:
These days, alot of the brit-rock/indie bands uses the thinline...or rather, guitars with the wide-range pickups such as the 72' custom tele, Tele deluxe or the thinlines. Examples include Coldplay, Franz Ferdinand, Radiohead, Blur, Rolling stones, etc. Of course there's no specific guitars made for specific genres of music but I guess jingle-jangle stuff can be covered by teles pretty well...(I know Subversion will show us how his metalified tele can cover metal too :mrgreen: Hee)

As for the original Seth-Lover Wide-range pickups used in the original (not reissue) teles...yeah, they're pretty rare these days and are quite hard to acquire. I know it cos I just sold one on ebay for $500+ ;) But frankly, they don't really contribute to the main 'twang' of teles...safest bet is still the bridge single coil...I think it's the combination of all the features of a tele that makes the twang, twang...the string-thru body, the pickup plate (or whatever they call it), the saddles and maybe even the tiny headstock (don't quote me on this one...hahah)

finally seth was sold off,

your left handed tele still around?
is the nut a 42mm wide?...

:mrgreen:

Oh yeah, i heard the bridge plays a part. 3 saddles traditional ones for the most authentic sounds.

Actually - why don't you ask someone who actually builds teles about it? Malcolm comes to mind.

Anyway, I don't think the Tele is all about twang. The most magical guitar I've ever played was a Tele - and I was shredding on it with lots of gain. And the tele was as traditional as it gets - real deal single coils, fat 1 piece maple neck, traditional saddles and stuff...

Something about a Tele makes you wanna hit it and make music. Not fiddle with the whammy bar and the 128 pickup configurations available.

And that bridge single coil can sound really mean and gnarly. Not all polite. Esquires come to mind... just check out Billy Gibbon's tone at the NAMM show.

Something about a Tele makes you wanna hit it and make music. Not fiddle with the whammy bar and the 128 pickup configurations available.

And there's something about the lack of a forearm contour that really stops me from buying one. No matter what brand I try, be it Fender, ESP, or even the EBMM Axis, That body shape just doesn't agree with me...:???:

tele is like the soulmate that i need, in time of solace

tele is like a glove that i wear, almost too comfortable as if nothing was there

tele is like the matured woman, who aged with increased beauty and wisdom

tele is like the size of well endowed man whose prick fit perfectly right in my hand

tele is like the one that spoke to me after playing it, even though i really dont appreciate the appearance initially

tele is not about twang nor country nor style for me, it is one that fit me, like a free size condom.

twang is fender amp, snapping strings, hard attack and attitude, lastly then cum tele

tele! lin nah mah eh, tio si geetar lar. Twang li eh si lang tau lah!

I have to agree that those body shapes with forearm contour and tummy cut are really the most comfortable ones for me as well...I've shunned Gibbys for a loong time due to that and despite acquiring a new Gibson lately, my opinion still stays...

But hey...you can one of the Fender Custom Shop teles with forearm contour: http://www.themusiczoo.com/fendercustom.htm

...or the Jeff Beck version:
http://users.telenet.be/ilovefender/jeff.htm

:mrgreen:

P.s bedokkids...sorry, the tele is sold!

before i got my serious guitar, i always wanted a tele...
considering how it bites and cuts into the mix, with that raw and edgie sound when you overdrive it nicely into a tube amp.
i happen to love the shape of a tele as well! however... because its such a unique instrument and i'm not so diversed into the kind of music i play, i decided to be practical and got a strat instead.
twang = hard pick attack, attitude.
im still gonna get a tele in the future though..

so much.. on the bridg pickup.

what abt the neck? it's seem pretty low output is it?
say i replace it with a humbucker.. a fat tone will be achieved i suppose so?

did i make a mistake?
the twang is refer to the sound achieve only with strumming.
or the overall sound achieve through soloing. shredding..
with a light overdrive?

a tele can go into massive distortion with the right amp/pedals, even if the output of the pickup is on the lower side. Its not so much of good or bad, but just different from subjecting a humbucker to distortion.

other then changing to humbucker, one of the most common mod for tele is actually changing the 3 way switch to a 4 way switch, rewiring to get a fourth setting, combining the bridge and neck pickup together in series. That will fatten the sound of the instrument. But it will still sounds like tele, except with a fatter tone.

The sound of tele, pretty much has to do with the construction, the bridge and the saddle.

for twang characteristic, what i believe, would be refering to the bridge pickup, clean, into fender amp, push hard, together with the string attack and such. Bright, snappy(strings hitting the fretwire) and piercing to ears for some.

for some good solid tele action, check out recordings from the late, great geetarer, danny gatton. Basically most, if not all his recording was done with tele, fender amps and wee bit of echo/delay. Listen to the tele sound, the attack and his attitude. Its really some great music, made with telecaster.

Back