Guitar shop at peninsula plaza

.... the $60 dollar solid top..... is at the corner.....

.... cheap japanese parts.... tink at the 5th or sumthin.... a balding old guy... this one looks quite cramped n small....

both indians not malays.....

santa fe guitars...?

I read with interest the various comments about santa fe guitars and all the various guitar shops in peninsula area...now I'd like to throw in my 2 cents worth...

Santa Fe Guitars - I have actually bought a few Santa Fe strats from that Dan shop...1 new during the initial period sales at $180 and 2 more pcs 2nd hand at $140...WHY I bot so many ? seems that after I modded them ppl who saw in the the clubs I was playing at (it was my back up guitar) seemed to always buy it off from me...

The santa fes basically have the same components (i.e bridge, pups, wood etc) as ALL the other budget guitar like TGM, Samick, etc etc...Most of these budget guitars originate either in Indonesia or China but patrs are made in Taiwan. It would not surprise if there was one manufarer producing guitars for diffirent shops under diffirent in house brand names. Diffirence with Santa Fe is that they have medium jumbo frets as compared to mini or normal frets on the other guitars. The tuners were not too bad (diecast - def better than the othe type cheapo diamond box tuners) and the finishing etc were "half" decent (def value for $ compared to other cheapos incl SX or other inhouse brands). DRAWBACK - production standard is variable - some pieces were really badly made while some were quite good at that price...I chose mine carefully being an expirienced buyer...One man's meat is another man's poison...

On the shops in peninsula...I have excellent rapo with most of them...
davis obviously has the best selection of quality high end parts esp fender/gibson...I have always had the best service from them from David himself right down to his daughters...Guitar 77 - Dennis is a real nice guy and has pretty decent stuff but a while ago I bot a Mex Sambora model...came home and found out it had all sort of probs includin the floyd rose being blocked, loose mounting studs etc...it was 2nd hand so no fault of him doe...juz reinforces my belief about the "Luck of the Draw"...when buying 2nd hand guitars. The rest are ok too....Dan Enterprise...2nd deals are great as & when they have them including fenders & gibson BUT please BARGAIN/ BARGAIN / BARGAIN..... hell I did & got decent deals... The Indian dude owner is basically an ok guy but he kinda old school and hates disrecpectful ppl & treats them so...butter him a bit - deals sure can jadi one....Ashleigh which is sub-co of Dan....Fat dude there has got MAJOR attitude problem....me & him had issues in the past too so I dun go there nowadays...as for being cheeter of nuob...I guess he nvr try on me being expirienced...but nuetrally speaking...Im not impressed with anything they have on offer there...

Good idea to check in the forum abt products b4 buying but beware of ppl who may or may not have hidden agendas in their replies...

My frank views......

at first i tot that fat dude frm ashleigh was nice. i once went there to try pedals. he told me that wherever i go i should try first. even though i didnt buy his pedals he was still nice to me. then another time i went there to look for a gig bag. the chea[est he had was 35bukcs whick was over my budget(i bought the one at davis. 25 ony.) then i said ill look around first. he didnt look too happy. then i asked if i can try one of his amps n bt he completely ignored me! i asked again coz i tot he didnt hear bt he pretended to be interested in his cash register. i walked out of the shop n swore nvr to go there again if its the last guitar shop on earth.

Re: santa fe guitars...?

fgl said:
- production standard is variable - some pieces were really badly made while some were quite good at that price...I chose mine carefully being an expirienced buyer...One man's meat is another man's poison...

how do u kno if the guitar is well/badly made?

noiseandchaos said:
:) thanks for all the help really. Much appreciated.

i shall shop around before deciding again- cause my budget is below 700, i know its very little but can't be helped, i'm just a secondary school kid! :D

i dunno if its still there but guitar connection has a $700 cream coloured epi les paul. caters just to ur needs dun it? haha.

fgl: I guess everybody associates Santa Fe guitars with Ashleigh! haha...
Are the Santa Fe guitars really made of alder? Do they have swimming pool routing? Since you are an experienced buyer who chooses the best and tweak them, wouldn't the remainder be... not as good?

Jumbofret (my fav kind..) :lol:

I bot my santa fe's from Dan Enterprise 2nd hand shop...coz as I mentioned Ashleigh the dude there abit problem case... :butthead:

Like to share abt the sants fe's I bot

Body 3 or 4 pc JELUTONG...i.e local wood - definately not alder....
Body is slightly thinner than tex/us strat...but very close to squier afinity series. Same goes as bridge...

Pick guard - BEWARE - not compatible wt fender or other licensed strat pick guard - Unless you wanna refill and redrill pickguard screw hole.Pots, selector, wires, output jack stadard taiwanese type but pick ups a tad bit better than other similar range guitars...a "litttle" more "weight (tone)" on them but they still squeel at high vol...PUP cavity is swimming pool but wt lower channel to accomodate longer humbkr screws...they didnt plan it well coz the normal back cover scers will punch right through into the body cavity - a hassle if you are sheilding the interiior or the cavity.

21 frret neck - basically ok. Truss rod ok...frets med jum - better than other similar range guitars BUT most examlpes I sw needed some sort of basic crowing / polishing...things you cud do yrself...gd ref the stewart mcdonald guitar repair guide. Fretboard is ok basically, neck satin finish ok lah but a nice wipe down with red english oil will help bring out some nice grains..BEWARE sum examples I saw had wring outs & other imperfections...

Plastic nut SUX on all pieces - replace at all cost. Tuners - ok but pros may wanna replace them asap :cry: .

I bot these santa fe's, scrapped the names off....Thers no listing in international forums coz I believe these are in house brands like e.g Symphony music guitars...JD, TGM (Tan Guam Ming?)

At first glance fender style headstock but it's actually much larger than strat headstock..got some reasonable 2nd hand pups e.g dimarzios etc with new pots, etc and used them as my back up / jammers guitar. Not too bad...then sum ang mo customer would offer to buy em...so I sell loh... :D

AT $180 new (offer period) and $140 2nd hand but still mint - I tot they were an "OK..lah" buy...for back up guitar. Esp when compared toother pricer similar range guitars...Modders can easily sell the parts U dowan to offset cost of other parts which U can get 2nd hand (e.g in luther music site). :lol:

For those who have a slightly higher budget you cud try for 2nd hand mex fender - alot in some online local classifieds... aprox $450-500+ range?

My personal view only...cheers :smt039

I am your fav kind??? Really? You're too kind. :lol:

Thanks for the reply... Yes, I knew that you bought ur Santa Fes from Dan... Was referring to Santa Fe guitars in general...

That's the 1st time I heard Jelutong used in guitar bodies! haha and I remember the time I went to Ashleigh and seeing "solid alder" on them... Scrapping Santa Fe off the headstock is like one of the best things to do to a Santa Fe! :lol:

I haven't stepped into Dan Enterprise before, maybe I will do so in the future.

ello bro...JUMBO FRETS are my fav kind lah....

Dan Enterprise.... sum tymes got good deals but must also see the owners mood...strange but true....he bad mood den...

Having said dat...I do tend to sum tymes sympathise wt him - alot of noob kids go there act yaya ask stoopid queastion, play guits etc den dun buy - of course he tu lan... Sum ppl come ask..."You got fender / Gibson...duh have...Santa fe...eryerh...etc? These noobs talk big but donno can play properly 1st of all or not ....

I heard Davis wont even allow testing unless cfmn buying 1st - dun know if true but tdats wat ppl told me...

Anyways Dans...BARGAIN /BARGAIN /BARGAIN /BARGAIN....then bargain sumo...

eh...dun quote me on this ok? juz sum frendly advise...

jumbofret said:
fgl: I guess everybody associates Santa Fe guitars with Ashleigh! haha...

wat about Ebernezzer guitars ..?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Personally ... i would try my best not to buy anything from Ashleigh or Dan ~

ITs like an Ibanez rip off, just + -er and change spelling.

Ebenezer ... or something.

Seriously, these guitars, are not even worth your buck. Even if you plan to re-intonate or upgrade, you could spend that money getting a better model in the first place.

Paying $210 for a chunk of nonresonant, overly finish and sloppily put together chunk of wood. Are you rich or something?

The Samick Greg Benett series. No kidding. Great value for money guitars. Davis has them. If you buy a particular model he might even give you the gig bag for free, as he's done many times, when I bring my friends to get their starter guitars.

Yup, BlackMoo's got the spelling right: Ebenezer. Basically, the name is a word play on Ibanez. The "I" in Ibanez is pronounced as "E" (like Ichiban), and I am delighted to say that S'poreans have no problems in pronouncing Ibanez correctly. Whereas in the US, the "I" is pronounced as "I" (see Tonelok demo CD for example). In Japan, they pronounce Ibanez as "e-ba-ne-zu". But many S'poreans have yet to pronounce Pokemon properly... :lol:

Agree with BlackMoo's recommendation on the Malibu 1, it's very value-for-money. Greg Bennett's the man! :D
I wish Davis would bring more Samick GB stuff... Such as the IC 30... Malibu 3 and 4 has somehow been phased out by Samick tho... :(

Note that the Malibu and Interceptor series are all made in Indonesia, but that's not a bad thing! Really!

Yeap. Its a see to believe thing. I've never seen such value for money guitars before. Decent performance at a price which won't hurt our pockets.

personally, i recommend cheap ones $200+ would be samick GB, craftsman, SX, real great for beginners. no point wasting ur money on those unheard of brands, maybe u buy those and follow yngwie malmsteen go smash it :lol:

Back