Fav bassist

redname said:
u miss out melvin wong & din for the local bassist.

The amount of good local bass players can grow to quite a long list... Mhd Nor & Colin Yong are the other two that come to my mind...

Local Bass players who have been around:

Ignatius Bong, Joshua Wan, Jonathan Sim, Mhd Nor, melvin wong, din, Charles Goh (where are you sir?), Bani Rahman

Local up-and-coming Bass players:

Colin Yong, Clement Yang, Reuel Ramos

Please feel free to top up the list.

hmm fav bassists? quite a few..

(1) Duff Mckagan (formerly GN'R, now in Velvet Revolver)
(2) Rachel Bolan (Skid Row)
(3) Billy Sheehan (formerly Mr.Big, now with Steve Vai)
(4) Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
(5) Johnny Colt (The Black Crowes)
(6) Rex Brown (Pantera)
(7) Nikki Sixx (Motley Crue)
(8) Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)
(9) Jason Newstead (Metallica)
(10) Dave Ellefson (Megadeth)

3notesAbar, ya man, where is Charles Goh???? He is like completely disappeared.

when i was much younger, i took lessons from him. what amp lah, just plug into the hi-fi set man! and he still sound so good! faint.....

Nathan East of Four Play, John Pattitucci, Mike Porcaro of Toto, John Myung (DT), Billy Cox (Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsies).

les claypool for weirdness, flea for the power, steve harris for the gallop, jaco for playing i shot the sheriff, aston familyman barett for the 'control'.

for local, got to be syed (bushman singer) when he was playing bass in stomping ground (abt 10yrs ago!) coz he can jump higher than the drumset!

Marcus Miller for his creative lines. One heck of a slapper. I can't believe no one mentioned Abraham Laboriel!! He's considered a legend today in the likes of John Patitucci and Marcus Miller man ...

i like Mike Dirnt, though he isn't the best bassist around. i also enjoy jaco pastorius, les claypool and victor wooten.

locally, my fav bassists are wendy phua :D , felytone and desmond of electrico ! :lol:

Jameson and Bob Babbit for their impeccable groove.

And the bassplayers who played with the likes of Death and Opeth (i.e. Steve Digorgio, Martin Mendez) cos the best players are not peeps who can pull off flashy stunts, but those who know their place and function in their genre of music and rhythm teams.

Btw, you folks think Gary Willis is only guy who rocks the fretless world, check out Steve Digiorgio in Cynic and Death and hear how the fretless is utilised beautifully in speed and death metal.

just a side qn, how would you guys 'qualify' someone to play fretless? am very interested in fretless but well, how would you guys adapt?

Ken said:
Jameson and Bob Babbit for their impeccable groove.

And the bassplayers who played with the likes of Death and Opeth (i.e. Steve Digorgio, Martin Mendez) cos the best players are not peeps who can pull off flashy stunts, but those who know their place and function in their genre of music and rhythm teams.

Btw, you folks think Gary Willis is only guy who rocks the fretless world, check out Steve Digiorgio in Cynic and Death and hear how the fretless is utilised beautifully in speed and death metal.

man .. .check out Alain Caron if you want fretless madness .. ..

fretless takes practice lah .. cos the intonation and stuff quite different from fretted basses .. have to develop alot of muscle memory to play the fretless accurately without sounding off .. OH .. Michael Manring also .. fretless madness .. and Yves Carbonne .. some french subcontra bassist .. meaning that he plays one octave down compared to a normal bass range ..

really thinking about fretless now. maybe it's just an infatuation or a manifestation of my over-wrought imagination, i dunno. but i'd ask wendy this sat :D since ive never tried fretless before, what kinda tone would i expect?

Back