Fav bassist

rylche said:
really thinking about fretless now. maybe it's just an infatuation or a manifestation of my over-wrought imagination, i dunno. but i'd ask wendy this sat :D since ive never tried fretless before, what kinda tone would i expect?

mwah ... mwahhhhhh .. mwaaaaaahhhh .. mwah mwah mwah ... mmmmmmwwaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh ...

fretless tougher to play compared to fretted lah .. but it takes practice ..

Re: ..

rottenramone said:
fretless tougher to play compared to fretted lah .. but it takes practice ..

yah balls. a whole load of aggaration

only gigged with a fretless once...eeeek no lines!!!!

scary right!!? .. imagine the place is dark and you only have your side markers to guide you .. actually i prefer without lines .. somehow or another i find that line really distracting lah ..

i don't have a fretless but i manage to play fretless a few times, i'm okay with the low notes, can get in tune but when it comes to the higher registers that's it man .. hahahah ..

no lines are cool !

but imagine playing on the higher register w/o lines.
a few mm worth of overshot/undershot is a sharp/flat/another key.

some fretless/upright player says abit of plus/minus at the fretboard of wrong press is ok, Sharp or Flat of a G key still sound near to a G.
some ppl dun tink it this way..

tokin bout fretless~ Alain is gd and not to forget Steve Bailey
Muahs Muahz~

btw victor bailey's tone sounds like he's playin on a fretless.
check out primus(les claypool's tommy the cat) slaping on fretless.

Re: ..

rottenramone said:
nope, they go in blind.

i tried an upright last month. my fingers are still aching.

siao lah .. i wonder how they manage man... .. shiok right?? .. i tried playing the uprights at swee lee warehouse that time .. not easy man.. have to use thumb technique to get to the higher registers.. and imagine people like stanley clarke .. brian bromberg and patitucci are so good at it .. sickos ..

Fav bassists would be, JONATHAN SIM, BANI(yamaha),AZMAN (yamaha), alain caron, marcus miller, john myung, nathan east, tetsuo sakurai, the bald dude playin for casiopea now and the bassist from t-square, i could NVR actually remember their names.

Turin Porter (Doobie Brothers), Skylark (Doobie Brothers), Mark King (Level 42), Les Claypool (Primus, Flying Frog Brigade, Oysterhead), Dave Lebruyere (John Mayer), Rocco Prestia (Tower of Power), Verdine White (Earth, Wind and Fire), Ben Kenney (Incubus), Alain Caron, Ogawa Tetsuya (L'Arc~en~Ciel), Darryl Jones (Rolling Stones), Pino Palladino, bassist from Suede.

visa said:
tetsu from l'arc~en~ciel is the most awesome bassist evarr

He's the guy that got me really hot about bass! :D

He's got an interesting choice of notes, and wicked tone to boot.....

Only think is that he sometimes overplays a little on some songs. My favourite basslines of his are from All Dead (Tierra), Anemone (best Clicked 13 Singles), Fate (Ray), Be Destined (Dune), Love Flies (Real), Stay Away (Real), Dive to Blue (Arc)....there are a few others, but can't remember at the moment

his "overplaying" is still really damn tasteful and musical and fits the song well!

in addition to the ones you mentioned (particularly stay away), I also love Driver's High, Ophelia, Route 666, New World, so many awesome basslines @_@

visa said:
his "overplaying" is still really damn tasteful and musical and fits the song well!

in addition to the ones you mentioned (particularly stay away), I also love Driver's High, Ophelia, Route 666, New World, so many awesome basslines @_@

Oh shit.....now that you mention it, Ophelia has a killer bassline! So did New World and Driver's High!

Thanks for joggin my memory, bro.....hahaha

Oh yes, Kasou is another personal favourite of mine....

lol.. yes.. stu hamm.. doesnt overplay, but he adapts very well to the song. really brings out wad real bass playing is all about.

jpj is awesome too. gotta hear the lemon song. heh.

not forgetting jack bruce, john entwistle, and the absolutely amazing billy sheehan. haha

my current inspiration: Michael Manring

manring.jpg

tetsu is really inspired, even though i dont really dig jrock. when i first started out, my hero was mike dirnt, but i still adore the fella. nice playing, not awesome but solid.

Flea form RHCP..... Cant believe he picked up bass at just the age of 16. Late-bloomer, but appreciate his talent.... Also Billy Sheehan is one of my faves.

Back