Doing a vibrato while holding a bent

Mobius

Does anyone have any tips on how to do a vibrato while holding a bent? Saw Eric Clapton did it and was pretty impressed.. Tried to do it but when i vibrato i just let go of the bent and it sounded like crap.. :oops: hahaha...Any tips?

use 3 fingers to bend and do the "up down" vibrato. thats what i do during bends.

if u got a tremolo even better, when i bend 15 or 17 frets on my strat i use the tremolo to shake a lil lol. to have the vibrato feeling. dunno thats what i prefer to do.

The trem bar is a great way to get quite wide and dramatic vibrato when doing a bend but of course you can do it without the bar - look at Yngwie - he does really wide vibrato when doing bends - sometimes up to a tone +- from the target but with precision oscillation between the two that makes it effective.

Like everything, you have got to start slow.

First do your bend up to the target pitch. Make sure it is at the correct pitch. Use your ears. There are few things worse than out of pitch bends.

I normally overbend first, then release to just below target and up/down again when I do vibrato on bends. What this means is, from the target pitch, increase your push a bit more so the pitch goes higher, then release so it comes in under and do this as many times as you like. It's easier than this sounds, but you have to start SLOW.

I feel that in order to get a good vibrato, time and experience really plays a great part. If you ever see Beez, you can probably ask him to demo a vibrato and give you some tip. I used to just bend w/o vibrato. Now its vibrato all the way. 8)

hifi_killer said:
when i do the vibrato while bending, i tend to shake the guitar. is that suppose to happen?

If you put lotsa effort into it it's bound to shake around a little :D YJM does that a lot, most noticable when he's sitting and playing :wink:

doing vibrato with the whammy bar is one of the worst ways of cheating. Don't take the easy way out!

Vaiyen said:
doing vibrato with the whammy bar is one of the worst ways of cheating. Don't take the easy way out!

uh. watch neil young's whammy infested solos then. just watched one today... it's omg.

there's a judicious way of whammying ala Vai and Satriani, and then there's the manic wang-bar abuse that a lot of amateurs like to indulge in.

If you ever see Beez, you can probably ask him to demo a vibrato and give you some tip.

Went down to yamaha PS last week....they are under renovation and heard from the sales people their guitar tech which is Beez wont be back till the renovation is over...which is around the end of this month..haiz think i have to wait...

Btw thanks alll for the useful tips everyone!

Errr i just saw beez today. showing a strat style guitar and a HH config guitar to this auntie. he was playing some blues and jazz. then when he on distortion, sweeeeeeepppp like crazy. hahaha

Vaiyen said:

No it isn't! :)

Think of the vibrato bar as an extra weapon in your arsenal - not a shortcut way of doing something, merely different. If somebody wants to do all their vibrato with the bar, that is in no way cheating and I don't get this 'you got to do something a certain way' knee-jerk purism.

Latest posts

Back