changing string gauge, need your help

blahblah

im planning toc change from 10s to 9s and i asked a lotta people they say the guitar needs adjustment...where's the cheapest place to do it and how much?

Well, we need to know some stuff abt your guitar...

What kind of bridge does it have?

If its a fixed bridge, then its relatively simple.... only problem might be intonation... but thats a simple job...

In the case of a floating, then you will have to adjust the locking screws that hold the springs to the guitar body... plus handle intonation... thats a little tougher...

should be a floating bridge unless your trem is blocked. Anyways, changing from 10s to 9s shldn't be difficult. you just need to re-adjust the intonation, action and the trem spring and claw. I changed from 9s to 10s, only tightened my trem claw, adjusted my intonation and action. tt's all. don't adjust your truss rod unless its needed.

blah. from, what u told me that u changed to 10 from the stock .9. i believe ur neck is screwed already. u probably need more than a string chasnge setup. need a neck setup. bring to mike lah. price is resonable.

has anyone screwed up their guitar's neck by simply changing to a less thicker gauge strings? please share if that happened to you...

sorry for sidetracking, if i were to change to a heavier gauge, i need to tighten the truss rod do i? Or do i loosen it? please help people.

i've never adjusted the truss rod due to change in gauge..just normally only..this is my educated guess..the force the strings put on the neck causes neck bow (towards ceiling) so if the string gauge is heavier meaning more tension on the neck i guess it's gonna go further toward the ceiling..however there might not be a need for truss rod tweaking..just check after installing strings if there's a bow..also need to reset intonation and action due to new gauge of strings...

a word of advice: don't mess with the trussrods unless you

a-wanna screw up your guitar
b-wanna get your mom/dad to buy you a new one
c-are an experienced technician
d-experienced user who knows your sh*t

hehe...=)

anyway, i agree, 20 bucks is quite a reasonable price...

i don't agree. we should all know how our guitar functions and know what to do when problem arises. I'm not too sure about the truss rod though, I think logically speaking, we should tighten it to counteract with the heavier strings. turn only 1/4 at a time, and let it rest for a day, thats for sure, if u over adjust the truss rod, u have a new 2-piece neck.

yeah to answer your question, it's tighten..make a mark on the truss rod before u do anything tweaking so u know where u started and can go back shld u need to..and always start by loosening the truss rod a little..it doesn't hurt and will give u a rough feel how tight the truss rod already is..and don't force anything if u find u can't turn and already applying a bit of pressure..might damage the neck..

there's always over-precaution when it comes to truss rod tweakings, i feel that it's something a layperson can manage if s/he is ready & know enough about guitars- what to do & not to do. but yes, the truss rod tweak is a make/ break, but it's not too technical to be an exclusive job for the repairman...

sorry to hijack the thread, but i've got a similar question and would appreciate help.

my guitar is strung with 9-42s. the D string(24) broke and i needed to replace it urgently but couldnt find the exact gauge so made do with A string (32). is it advisable to leave the string on? would it cause any harm to the guitar?

thanks!

Latest posts

Back