Singapore Youth Flying Club - Anyone TRIED? and GOT IN?

Hi!
I'm 17 this year (Jan baby) & just got posted to a JC through JAE. I'm also female. I've in a dilemna if I should go JC and try to join the SYFC or go to Tpoly's Aviation & Management Services which now also allow students to try for a PPL licence.
Basically, the only ambition i have is to work as a commercial pilot in future. Probably going to have to try Jetstar/Silkair/Tiger Airways.
Reading all the post here, it seems its very hard to get a PPL in SYFC and its very stressful to cope with SYFC & JC at the same time.
Lost lost lost.
D:

HI! are u in JC or poly now?? They are emphasizing on recruiting passionate JC students as the wealth of poly students is in bulk there and they need JC students.

You can add me at my msn and i'd gladly help on ur journey into SYFC but everything else depends on u meeting the requirements and passing the interview and medical.

able to PM me. :)

Shoutout to JC students newly recruited or not, if u are interested in flying and passionate about it let me know!

do note that poly students can also apply but u have to be fresh o level graduate and starting ur 1st freshmen semester.

heres an advice for those that do get in to syfc, try to complete your sorties as fast as possible just spam the booking.

Hey marc im joining SYFC soon just called em up today. Anything i should take note of through the interview/medical stage besides spamming 'i want to join rsaf'? and do pm me ur msn would like to have an in depth talk with ya

Calling out JC 1 or JC 2/ Year 1 polytechnic students...

Currently, SYFC has a scheme whereby if I (ME MARC) introduce a JC1 or JC2 student and if he/she got in SYFC, i will get 1 COE (certificate of experience) hours.

Basically, if ur a jc student and u got in, i get 1 hours of free flight as i have graduated from the course. So if u are a JC1 or JC2 student and wishes to try out for SYFC, albeit being in JC1 or JC2 or mugging for A levels, you can apply!

PM me only if u are a jc student and wishes to apply.

Year 1 poly students who wish to apply can ask me qns via this thread or visit www.syfc.sg for more details! Sorry yeah.

PS, im a poly student myself too. :)

I hope this thread is still alive...Anyway, mind if i ask what exactly is poly formal wear? will a collared shirt(not polo tee), jeans and covered shoes be okay as formal wear for the interview?

I'm currently a Poly first year student waiting for my interview coming next month.

flying

no matter what, if you do get in, NEVER go into a sortie unprepared.

Basically rule of thumb is mental fly mental fly mental fly. Keep practicing your checks until they come out like a rap (of course not just lip service la), and best is get a fellow trainee to mental fly with you. Your friend can keep giving you injects (i.e final approach too low, watcha gonna do? Pitch up. Too fast watcha gonna do? Throttle down. So on and so forth).

if you wanna be a military pilot, you'd appreciate the PPL rather than go through Air Grading Course when you enlist.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, was from SYFC as well, served for 6yrs there from one department to another, feel free to ask any qns about SYFC and its relevance, I'll be glad to reply. Btw, any PPL grads here? (regardless if you graduated 20yrs ago or whatever.) PPL grads pls PM me, I need some help from you guys. Thanks alot!

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, was from SYFC as well, served for 6yrs there from one department to another, feel free to ask any qns about SYFC and its relevance, I'll be glad to reply. Btw, any PPL grads here? (regardless if you graduated 20yrs ago or whatever.) PPL grads pls PM me, I need some help from you guys. Thanks alot!

Hi,

Im in my 1st year in poly, 2nd semester.
Im really interested in joining the SYFC.
Its an ambition of mine to become a SAF pilot and eventually fly commercially

I wear spectacles but my degree is within the minimum requirement.

Question:
reading through this thread, it seems that I should've applied immediately after I graduated from Sec school. Being halfway through my 1st year in poly, can I still enrol?

What are the training costs?

hope someone can reply me quickly :)

Hi LukeJames,
Yes,you may still apply for the Basic Flying Course conducted by SYFC using your GCE 'O' level results.
However, you will need to pass the interview followed by a medical screening before SYFC decides whether you are accepted or rejected for the course.
The cost of training is free but you will be required to pay for some of your personal items such as checklist, t-shirts etc. The total cost of all these items usually do not exceed SGD$100.
For more information on the application procedures, please visit www.syfc.sg
cheers,
Airforce762

Hello, sorry to bump up this old thread.
I submitted my application to SYFC alr. Interview is on 29 Jan.
Any tips on how to prepare for the interview?
Is it easy to pass the interview?
Btw, i am going to JC.

Hello , I recently applied to SYFC and was wondering when do poly students get called up for the interview and how long do poly students have to wait before they start actual flying ?
Regarding the medical , there were rumours going about that the boys have to undergo the ACES medical . Although a class 2 medical is required for a PPL in Singapore . Does SYFC has it's own medical standards ?

Hi Flyboywannabe,
there is no exact waiting period for poly students before they get called up for the interview but usually the interview for poly applicants will commence within 4-6months after their application.
As for the commencement of their course, it depends on how soon they are able to complete and pass the medical examinations. Generally,the commencement of the course will be delayed should the applicant be called back to the aeromedical centre for additional reviews. Assuming that all goes well, poly applicants should be able to start their BFC course in approximately 1 month after they cleared their medical. As for actual flying, BFC trainees will have to complete the 1st month of groundschool and pass a CAAS Theory Exam before they can start practical flying.
It is not a rumour that SYFC follows the ACES medical. As an organisationa that is fully funded by mindef, SYFC has the responsibility to ensure that they are able to supply a quota of pilots whom are fit for military flying duties and thus, SYFC do not follow the criteria laid under class 2 medical.

Does that means that a large majority of the applicants actually get ' chopped ' during the medical stage since the ACES medical is known to be very stringent ? Will every applicant be granted a chance to the interview ?

Yes, a majority of the applicants will get 'chopped' during the medical stage and hence, based on the outcome of an applicant's medical screening, he would more or less know the chances of his RSAF pilot application.
An applicant will only be granted a chance to the interview provided that he has met all the application criteria set by SYFC.

Hi,

I'm 20 this year and I would like to try out flying. Am I still eligible for SYFC in that case? Also, was only informed that there would be a medical screening after reading this thread, so, do people with scoliosis stand a chance to pass the medical screening?

Thanks!

Back