A Vacant Affair - Interview in 45 minutes & 3 locations

olibia

[highlight]A little titbit for all AVA fanatics out there; ENJOY THE MUNCH![/highlight]

[size=+1]PART I[/size]

Let's start off with some obligatory interview questioning – Where?

Rudi: Where? I can’t account for the rest of the band but I believe I got a call from Matt one day, when I was filling in for the then-Cheapthrills. Basically, he told me he wanted to form an outfit and asked if I was game. I was at home during the conversation.

Why did this start?

Matt: Why? The five of us are very passionate about music. We just wanted to write originals and play music. We also wanted to start taking things more seriously. Shen, Daryl (my previous drummer) and I decided to have some changes made to the line up. We replaced the two guitarists we had with Josh and Rudi. That was when my drummer announced he had other commitments to attend to and we respected that. So Hafiz offered to play drums for us. That was in early 2004.

Josh: Has it only been a couple of years ago? Thought I have known you guys since forever!

Matt: Why we formed AVA all boils down to passion. As a singer, I had things I wanted to write and talk about so we concentrated on writing originals. Through AVA, I have an outlet to speak about things that affect me, what I think about certain things and what I see around me. We hope the music we create influences youth in a good way. Music is not merely an enjoyable sound. There is communication within as well. Some in the audience who have watched us have become our good friends.

Next – How?

Shen: How did we get to where we are?

Joshua: How AVA managed to pull through the years, through so much to be where we are, generally comes from our perspectives in our music, in our friendship. We are always friends first before musicians. That’s the value we adhere most to. It’s the most important value that has seen us through all these years. Musically, we have grown and that has helped us relate to the audience group better. The more we play, the better the youths are able to relate to us. It is quite meaningful that way. Some people say whenever we play, it feels like we play to an audience of one with our hearts out, our song lines are meaningful to them. This is also why we started the band; to inspire and relate with people. And that really plays a big part, to getting where we are today.

Matt: We’re not saying we’re perfect, or that we’re role models, because we’re not; through music we want to communicate with people. We don’t think we are better than everyone else.

Joshua: The moment you put yourself on the pedestal you fail to relate. I guess that’s how we got there; being real.

Shen: We got to where we are today also because, in the beginning, we tried our best to play at all kinds of shows whether big or small even though most of us had several commitments to handle. At one point, we had to get people to fill in regularly for gigs as some of us would be held back in camp at the last minute, during national service. We managed to get through that phase and we are now a post NS band! All of us have our pink I/Cs and that’s awesome.

Matt: Time and time again, I constantly review us as a band. Sometimes I doubt myself, I have doubts about the band. Do people truly understand or appreciate what we’re doing? Is this going anywhere? One of the gigs we had (Rock For Wayne), Jude from West Grand Boulevard said to me upon leaving the stage after their sound check - “Good luck, you guys are the only hardcore band in the line up today.” The line up had bands like Electrico, Force Vomit, The Fire Fight and other indie bands. And it is true. We were the only post-hardcore “RAH RAH!” outfit that day. But the moment we took the stage to play, the crowd was chanting our band name. I was really shocked! In fact, we were the only band that received that kind of reception when we took the stage that night. Then it went on for many gigs after, like Baybeats 2007, Lime Sonic Bang, et cetera. It’s really overwhelming and touching.

Joshua: We only realised during that year, our worth in the music industry in Singapore. It was in 2007. People knew who we were, they knew our songs and our hearts and spirits behind them. When you see a big group of people massively coming together to enjoy our music, no doubt they mosh, it doesn’t seem like they are pleasantly enjoying, but to an extent there is a certain form of unity. You have minor disputes occasionally in the pit but what really touches us when we’re on stage is when we see people coming together.

Matt: During the Lime Sonic Bang gig, our set was delayed and we only started playing a while before midnight at Sentosa. I would have gone home! But there were still a lot of kids who stayed for us. I guess we do have a special kind of a connection with our crowd.

Lastly - What?

Hafiz: Each of us has different influences. What makes AVA so interesting to me is exactly that. I like a mix of everything. Josh is an indie rock kind of guy. Shen is pop punk. Matt has the Finch and Funeral For a Friend thing going on. Rudi is very Hundred Reasons and Glassjaw.

Joshua: Rojak lah!

Hafiz: And Aaron our ex-guitarist was very metal, with influences like Arch Enemy and Machine Head.

Rudi: I was looking forward to joining the band also because of the fact that; finally I have come across a vocalist who can hold his pitch, a guitarist who can riff solidly, a drummer that could pretty much play the entire Deftones White pony album… and a bassist who has a fascinating taste in his choice of colour.

It’s been close to 5 years now, since the birth of the band. How do you think the band as a whole, or yourself as a person has progressed through the experiences that you have gone through these years?

Rudi: I personally started going for local gigs at 14, 15… and those were the days that I’d stand and stare in awe as these great bands; One Man Down, My Squared Circle, Meza Virs, the entire old gun of nu-metal coming on and just tearing up the stage. You can’t help but imagine how kids these days feel when they watch a band on stage – some of them just space out, not only just enjoying the band but also visualise themselves up there. Everybody goes to gigs doing that kind of thing. This has pushed out a bit beyond my fantasy; not that I am playing in a full time rock and roll band but I get to get out some weekends… rock out with my friends, no bad vibes, see people attempting to do funny things in the mosh pits and tell them HEY STOP IT…

Shen: Sometimes get free pizza.

Rudi: I find that this is really really good as we are in some sense passing on a tradition because it goes in a cycle; I see bands rocking out, I get influenced by them and then somehow I form a band. And I start rocking out and other kids see us, they watch the band and want to rock out too, viewing themselves as possible clones of us in the future, that whole idea just amazes me. So I believe I progress as a person from being just a day dreamer to being an active rocker type. Which is really cool.

Joshua: Rock Idol.

Rudi: And I’ve went through an entire check list of all the rockisms-to-do and I can say I have done all the rockisms…

Shen: Guitar swing?

Rudi: Well I haven’t done a guitar swing but I think I can live without a guitar swing.

The licking too?

Rudi: The licking is not necessary because I don’t think it is very hygienic and I think when others do that they probably treat their guitars a lot more hygienically than I do… I put lemon oil on my guitar so it probably has acid residue and that will cause me a tummy ache. And that will be bad. Tummy aches are brutal.

Joshua: Anyway I think you have the highest frequency of diarrhoea among us all.

Hafiz: He likes to put funny things in his mouth.

Joshua: Everything.

[size=+1]PART II[/size]

Rudi: The fact that we are passing on the baton in this culture of heavy rocking screaming music that parents would condemn is awesome. Rock lives on! Rock on soft people!

Joshua: Live and let live. Take things as they come. Life is so dynamic… having 5 different individuals in a band…

Matt: Used to be 6

Joshua: Things have always been changing and still are so we learn to get used to accepting each other. We have learned that sometimes you cant force people to expectations of your own and we just got to take things as they come. For example, I’m going to Shanghai for work. Shen is going to go study… I guess friendship comes first, before raising the tension amongst us as band members. We’ve come a long way to learn and accept each other’s commitments, idiosyncrycies and even the things that utterly pisses us off. We’ve come to accept all of these. That’s what true friendship is about. Just hanging in there, even if the fella doesn’t change, just hang in there.

Hafiz: We’re still growing. Shen is still growing.

Rudi: OPTIC BLAST!

Shen: One of the most interesting things about us is that, we have matured individually, definitely. But as a band, we haven’t changed much since we started. When we started we were down to earth people who play music. And we are still the same down to earth people playing music right now. I don’t think that is something that should be changed at all. And I’m glad it hasn’t.

Rudi: Playing in a band has sort of made me a more confident person. Previously I was really shunned from playing heavy rock music that was too loud… neighbours complain… everybody gives you flak. I don’t think playing loud music puts my head in the clouds but it just makes me more confident in the things I want to do and knowing that there are people who like it, is an additional bonus.

Joshua: It feels good being accepted.

Rudi: I used to show some of my friends the music I listen to and they would go HUH? FREAK!

Joshua: I kind of realised we’re all really weird in our own way. Rudi is ultra freak. Epitome of freakness. 100% mutant gene. As for myself I was really isolated as a person since young. I couldn’t relate with schoolmates with stuff. That was me.

Hafiz: Shen is a super flirt.

Joshua: Well he is an outcast because all the guys hate him. He is always picking up the pretty girls. Hafiz?

Rudi: Hafiz has grown fiercer with a solid edge

Joshua: Hafiz came from a hard background, life wasn’t easy for him and we all respect him for that. So that’s his mutant story. His heritage, blood line and stuff.

Rudi: He’s morphed into a handsome man… handsome Single man, confident, fierce, heart of stone… that’s gonna go into the interview right?

Shen: And Matt is now a bonafide wrestler named Heart Pain Kid

Now this is an easy one: most memorable experience.

Shen: That’s not easy at all…

Rudi: There are a lot actually. On one occasion, we played in Malaysia, KL. A band member went missing for a short while. I shan’t say who it was… well at that point of time it was more worrying than funny really.

Hafiz: Matt woke me up and went ‘hey someone’s missing!’ and then I went back to sleep.

Matt: This boy was supposed to meet Rudi about 2-3 in the morning and he didn’t have auto roam on his phone.

Why were they meeting that late in the night anyway?

Rudi: Well we were chilling out with LOVE ME BUTCH, (check them out, they are under Voideck music!) So Shen decided he wanted to go for an appointment

OH so it was Shen who went missing?

Rudi: oh NO NO NO NO not shen, shanny, hanny, hafee, HAFIZ decided.

Hafiz: Hafiz!!??

Rudi: ALRIGHT JUST SCRAPE THAT. The most happening moment… well actually I don’t remember any ‘HAPPENING’ MOMENTS’ because I have a real knack of being unhappening. The funniest one was during Baybeats last year. I was real nervous but told myself OKAY I’M GOING TO BE CONFIDENT so I wanted to give an ultra rock entrance on stage so what happened was, I gave the ROCK ON sign and then proceeded to pick my guitar up from the ground. I grabbed it by the neck and wanted to wear it by swinging the guitar over my head, onto my shoulder. So naturally, being unhappening, I suffered from a big knock on my head instead. That was rather embarrassing. And totally unhappening because people in the front were laughing and I was all shut up shut up shut up. It was super unrock.

Joshua: AVA’s funniest home videos all start with RUDI. Self inflicted injuries. And also inflicted on others.

Rudi: There was another time we had a funny guitar incident. The head stock snapped into Joshua’s head and he started to bleed. We have videos of it and I felt so damn bad… there was so much blood……. I felt like just putting my guitar down and sitting in a corner…………..

Matt: Don’t talk cock!

Shen: ALRIGHT ALRIGHT, a memorable gig. We had a Substation gig and there was a guy from the crowd who was super hyper. He came on stage but he was pissing us off a little because he kept backing into us on stage. He climbed up to dive in the crowd. So while his back was facing me, I head butted him. And that’s that. I head butted someone on stage.

So the most memorable gig was when you were violent towards someone else.

Rudi: Not many people can say that they head butted a stranger on stage…

Fair enough. So anyway, generally, when on stage, you guys can be considered a high-energy band. Is there an inspiration drawn from elsewhere, for that? Do you think about something or someone somewhere before each performance...

Matt: It is not so much about inspiration…

Joshua: It is more of how we connect with our music. When we write it there is already a certain emotional and a certain energy source present, we recognise that and click with it every time we do a show. At least that’s what happens for me. That’s the heart of the song when I play… the energy comes from the reflected heart of the song.

Shen: We believe it is the same performance to be given no matter the number in crowd. We have to give our 110% during shows. We try our best to give it our all at every show. Basically the general rule is… if you don’t feel tired after a show, it wasn’t a good show.

The show earlier was great; are you tired now?

Shen: Pretty much.

Matt: Shen is always tired.

Joshua: And sleeping.

Matt: My answer is similar to Joshua’s; the way we write our songs, the only way to convey it properly is THIS. “Here, this is A Vacant Affair. That’s what we are”. We don’t have any pre plans for a show. The music that we play has hardcore, heavy rock and metal influences… it’s a mixture of everything. So when we play, it comes out high-energy. As I said, that’s what we are. Of course, we constantly remind each other to rock out and all when we are take the stage. But we don’t frequently think about things like… oh, at this moment we have to do a jump because the crowd will love it. Everything’s more or less natural.

Shen: Do we really look that way on stage?

Hafiz: I was actually being lazy earlier in the show.

Hard to tell when drummers are seated.

Rudi: Drummers are generally lazy.

Shen: That’s why they always sit.

[size=+1]PART III[/size]

Right... next question, in your mind or imagination, fantasy, is there a perfect stage or show?

Josh: That has already came true, when Funeral (for a friend) came.

Shen: The previous year, all of us were very into Funeral For a Friend. We were speculating, imagine one day Funeral For a Friend came down to play and we opened for them. Everyone went “no lah! talk cock lah! won’t happen one!” And later in the year, it really did.

This just proves you have to talk cock more often.

Josh: I guess as a band that is a dream came true. Amongst all the bands that had influenced us musically, Funeral is the most common one.

Hafiz: It is the band we can all relate to most.

Josh: And draw inspiration from – the energy, drive of the songs. It’s not just about guitar wanking but it’s about the feel. Funeral stands for that.

Matt: I’m sure we each have our own ‘perfect show’ – perfect line up… who are we going to share the stage with… in a perfect ‘gig’. But as a collective, opening for Funeral For a Friend was it.

Was the equipment alright during the show?

Hafiz: It’s not really about the equipment…

Matt: Rock is more than equipment!

Rudi: It’s the vibe!

Shen: We did get to meet the band…

Matt: I spoke to Matt Davies for 2 minutes……

Hafiz: Matt cried.

Matt: No I didn’t!

Shen: It was the day before his (Matt’s) birthday so I guess that was the best birthday present ever.

In your opinion, what makes a local band in Singapore successful?

Rudi: I had been thinking about this for a long long time. It’s quite funny you mentioned. In general, there should be a unified effort sparked at a point and you know you’re going to head somewhere with the band. If it’s just going to be a couple of kakis jamming and you’re going to go on stage and look like what you are... So I guess what I'm trying to say is the band needs to have chemistry.

Chemistry makes the local band successful?

Rudi: Chemistry is one thing. It’s a conscious effort that all bases are covered. Guitar tuned properly… strings don’t break…

Matt: Success is quite subjective. Everyone has a different explanation of what success is.

In context of the local scene here?

Matt: Well I think one of the most important things of a successful local band is the connection with listeners. The listeners must be able to relate to you, at an emotional level. And even if the record is out, it doesn’t stop there. Your sincerity and passion must be shown at LIVE shows as well. I really cherish this connection between the crowd and us. Although I don’t speak to every single of them after gigs… post gig chats? I already see participation during the gigs. And I’m not even talking about moshing. I’m okay with moshing but sometimes they get a bit too violent… at the end of the day when I look at some of them when they sing back to me I can really feel the connection, that they know what the hell I’m talking about. That it feels like they understand and probably went through the same shit. And I’m really really glad for that.

Shen: Are there any more local qualities? Is that what you mean?

Hafiz: Personally it’s presentation. Presence on stage. How music is portrayed too. Anyone can write a song but it’s how it’s put across to the listeners.

Rudi: I can see a lot of bands skipping the basic building block of writing decent songs. A lot of bands are eager to go on stage to live their rock fantasies but to make a band work you have to get the basics honed down; good solid songs, tight melodies, making sure that the riff you’re playing is not another band’s riff….

Matt: A good example is The Fire Fight. I’m not being biased but they spent a year or more in their bedrooms, in the jamming studios writing stuff making sure this is what it’s gonna be, practice and practice… and their first show, BAM. Everyone was floored. That’s the way it should be.

Have us a peek into your recording process. Is it any different from recording the full-length album now from when you recorded your EP?

Rudi: While the EP was… here’s a couple of songs, let’s just string it together and get it out. As for the current album that we are recording, it is a conscious effort to write an album which would have the ideal structure… work on the nitty gritties that will make this album our favourite. We’ve drawn out song charts that you’ll only see in the band’s ‘making of’ DVDs… you know what I mean? We stress about parts, argue… which bar? Can I do this little nick, how long is one bar, how many counts… you need more examples?

Matt: Basically we sat down and decided that if we were to do an album we gotta take our time. No tight datelines… we will not be taking forever of course. So every song is very thought after. We are trying new things that have not been tried in the EP, things that are newly influenced. In music everyone is constantly growing and learning and moving forward. The EP was in 2005/6. this is AVA in 2008. It is not going to sound like what we did in 2005/6.Tthere has to be progression. And I feel that there has been, in our new songs especially, they are definitely different.

Great. Last words?

Josh: I hope… through so many people we’re tried to reach, I hope that the enthusiasm shown towards our music is genuine, and that it really means something for them that we have these lyrics, this music… and not simply a mere ‘this is cool’ factor, to know a local band at this level and they act like it as well.

Rudi: Live shows are cool. But at the end of the day we hope the youths listening to our music and moshing are doing it for a real reason. Throwing punches in the pit… it’s not funny when done intentionally. We hope they really feel the connection and understand and see what goes on in the big picture.

Meanwhile, rock on, softies!

[highlight]end[/highlight]

thumbs up to the treadstarter, interviewing singapore's very own band. You get to know something more about AVA through this 'meet and greet' thing.

fixit- dude, where have you been?!? nvr mind, dont answer that, start going to local gigs, observe the bands well, remember the ones you like musically, go back home and myspace them, then if you like them, then support them! haha

Shen: ALRIGHT ALRIGHT, a memorable gig. We had a Substation gig and there was a guy from the crowd who was super hyper. He came on stage but he was pissing us off a little because he kept backing into us on stage. He climbed up to dive in the crowd. So while his back was facing me, I head butted him. And that’s that. I head butted someone on stage.

Superman. I remember that dude...

Hafiz: He likes to put funny things in his mouth.

Joshua: Everything.

Very suggestive reply. Hahaha.

Really enjoyed the read, sorta reminded of the Boredphucks interview way back! Good interview.

Olibia - this is a great interview thank you.
you should start an online Singa-music-zine (or find someone who already has something (aging youth, rampaige etc.) If you don't already.
You have flair for this!

yes i certainly have to agree with someone that you have a flair for this. start a blog or something!

Fun Fact Number 1.
A Vacant Affair was AVA before Angels And Airwaves was formed.

Fun Fact Number 2.
The initials of Angels And Airwaves is AAA. Dont ask me why they call themselves AVA.

Fun Fact Number 3.
Therefore, A Vacant Affair 1 - Angels And Airwaves 0

Cheers.

Back