Drumming In HDB how to deal with "noise"

I guess if we Drummers need to reduce noise level so as to a level not causing a Disturbance - there are a few methods (many are stated here already)

(1) SoundProofing - but very expensive (Last Option) if really really wanna drum

(2) Electronic Kit - eg a Roland TD9 - cost around 4.1K - - the best one to me.

(3) I'm testing this out now (as Advice by my Drum Instructor) -- - - and will feedback if it will really reduce the sound to a very minimal level - yet - - Not having to trade of with Losing the Touch and Feel of a Real-Drum

I'm trying Option 3 now - - tonight, if successful - -- thanks to Alvin

Guess I have to compromise at my best nowadays - through the best option available.

Well maybe if people ask u to play the guitar go buy an electric and blast the amp?
or a keyboard that makes it sound like an electric guitar lol

hi !!

Heyy!! I live in a HDB Flat near to Jurong west stadium . hahas !! Sometimes when there's a soccer match i would join the cheerleaders drumming . HAHAS !! LOLS !!

Anw , i have a Pearl Target series . I dun usually play with silent kit . I've been playing my drums more than a month . No complains at all . Except for my sister . My Bro sometimes becoz last time he played too & bring his frenz to come over & jam . hahas !! But i recommend put silent kit on all the cymbals,hihat,snare,toms & bass drum . So our neighbours would not complain .

Last edited:
I've been using hot rods to play on my kit for a very long time, one thing is that you need to remember the feel of sticks. So I planning on getting silencers for silence practising.

Sometimes I cant take the loud hitting of sticks on the kit myself too. And proudly to say, havent gotten a single complain yet. Muffling on the 18" bass drum, Remo rings on the toms, and no muffling on cymbals. I dun hit too hard, just enough to hear through my earphones and no compromise on the strokes of course.

(this was quite some time ago.) i saw a "container" like a covered 'thing' to be place around the drumset.. to really really minimise the sound of the drumming. Like a private jamming mini mini mini studio.(wat the heck)... it costs about (at that time) $1600/- if i am not wrong. maybe u could recce for this item. i saw it at peninsular/excelsior. basement.

Get an acrylic set and fill it up with water!

It might work if you think about it, wouldn't it?

Hahahaha, cost a bomb though.

Just curious, but are condos more "tight" on the noise pollution issue?
Cos condo complaints are to the condo management...

is there such a thing as a "quieter" kit? (i'm not talking about mutes/muffles)
you know, maybe a pearl rhythm traveller or a yamaha manu kache junoir.

would those be softer than a yamaha stage or a pearl target, given that is is smaller in size?

there is no such thing,at least i have never heard of it.

The sizes of the sets usually are for people with different built like midgets,children,teenager,and an adult sized kit. it also slightly represent different sounds/key of the toms and bass kicks.

if you'd realize,a smaller set that is tuned to a regular adult set would produce a sound of a different feel. the only way for a 'softer' set is to either:
1)Put sponges into the toms/bass
2)put pads on all tom and drill a hole in the middle to fit the hi-hat and cymbals.
3)buy from SOFT for the true 'Soft' drum set.

number 3 is fool proof =)

I think it might feel quieter, although not by a large amount. Think about it, smaller drums will move less air. Of course, there's a lot of other factors too, like skin, tuning, shell material, how hard you hit it, and so on, but all other things being equal, I would expect a smaller kit to be less disturbing. Still, it would be loud enough to disturb people. For example, for a period of time I was using a 13" bass drum. With the right choice of skins and similar amount of muffling so it's more bass-y, I managed to make it sound quite a lot like my 20" bass drum, just more punchy and only slightly higher in pitch. However, comparing them side by side, it is definitely much softer than the 20" bass drum. This is simply because the skin is so much smaller, so the air it moves is much less. It's just less powerful. Like comparing an amp stack with small computer speakers.

And besides the exact volume it is playing at, there's also the "feeling" when you listen to it. I think long, boomy or sloshy drums or cymbals feel louder psychologically than short, sharp sounds, when played at the same volume. Smaller equipment usually has a shorter, more punchy sound, which hits you but doesn't surround you.

I have a rhythm traveler, and although I wish i had a full size kit at times, I thank my stars i don't. I strongly believe that this one's quieter than others. Main reason, apart from the smaller size, is that the toms have only 1 head - the batter head. They don't have the bottom head for resonance - that largely lowers the volume of each hit. Which is why, the snare seems abnormally loud, coz being a snare it has to have 2 heads!. Will try and muffle the snare by stuffing some fibre into it soon. But yea, the rhythm traveler is much smaller and quite soft compared to a full size kit. The kick is also VERY soft compared to that of a big kit, given that the shell of the kick drum is half the depth of a conventional kick drum shell!

Hmmm...

Guys, wat about soundproofing ur rooms? If not the professional way, @ least the DIY way. Will it work? Or @ least minimize the noise a little bit. Then HDB drummers can juz play as loud as they want! Huh? Huh? Huh? :)

The curtains does help treat the room pretty well. I have 2 walls covered with "cinema" type curtains. I wouldn't cover all 4 walls though cos I think the room will sound too dead.

my band's got a full pearl forum kit in our small HDB studio, there's simply just one sponge wall, and we cover the windows with kind-of-thick blankets and close the door. But when we play we play with the rest of the music too so i think it makes the difference to neighbors - we haven't had any complaints.

just imagine it in your head if you aren't a drummer - just the drum tracks alone without any other instruments on any song, over and over and over again. how plain? maybe the music helps in accepting the drumming as part of music

That's a really good idea. But sometimes a drummer has to practice by himself/herself... his/her band can't come to their house and jam everyday.

Back