Interview with Michael Kalember (MisterK)

soft

Administrator
Staff member
misterk.jpg

1. When did you start playing music?

Well I learned piano at age 6, saxophone at 13, drums at 15, and bass at 17. Before I went to Berklee I took classes at University of Wisconsin, where I studied string-bass, piano, and classical voice. I didn't really seriously look at the guitar until about 7 years ago. All along I participated in school bands, jazz-ensembles, swing-choirs, pep-bands and even marched in a drum & bugle corps for a couple years. My first real rock band was called Hard Tommy, followed by Sweet Talker which was marginally successful. Then I was the lead-singer/ bassist for a group called Martyred Angel, and finally joined Raven Bitch (where I took over for the bass player, after he slashed his tendons punching a window). BTW, Raven Bitch was my brother's band and had quite a bit of success. But in 1988 him and I both decided to quit and go to Berklee.

2. How was life at Berklee?

Berklee was the coolest and yet the weirdest place I've ever been. I still remember the first day I stepped in the front door, and walked down the stairs to the basement-lobby... whoa! It was like walking into a rock-concert after the band had already finished playing and everyone was going home. There was paper (mostly flyers) strewn all over the floor. Garbage cans were overflowing with soft-drink cups, and dudes were sitting all around the floor in small groups or along the walls (practicing their guitars, reading, or doing drum-rolls on the carpet). And it was by far the weirdest collection of people and cultures I've ever seen gathered in one single place. One minute you'd see a Jamaican rastaman carrying a boombox on his shoulder, the next a hair-metal dude in a spiked leather jacket, and the next a group of Japanese nerds scampering by (chatting about lord knows what amongst themselves). Girls in combat boots weren't uncommon either, but I particularly remember this one 'bomb-shell' type babe from Sweden (she was some famous singer there). Man, she was such the 'diva', hahaha.

I remember there was this constant sound of music everywhere... not one particular song but the combination of all kinds of different stuff being played simultaneously, by all sorts of instruments. The piano practice hallway was the craziest by far. Imagine hearing 20 pianos at the same time all playing different stuff. If you didn't love music, I think the sound would drive you nuts. And the teachers, LOL.. sitting on the tables (in jeans), swearing, telling stories about getting drunk or wild gigs they've played or crazy people they've met. I remember my conducting teacher said on the first day. Everyone in here gets an 'A', so don't even bother come if you're not keen (you'll still get an A). Funny thing though... everyone came for every class. Ya, and the 4AM recording sessions were kind of insane, especially when you had an exam the next day at 8AM. Here's a word of advice to musicians planning to attend... If you're not REALLY good already, you'll get stuck playing with average musicians, in average (or even lame) ensembles. So practice up before you go! Once you're there, plan to practice like 6-10 hours a day.

As 'abnormal' as it all sounds... all the while it never felt sub-standard, cause all the stuff I experienced and the knowledge gained there were priceless. For instance, I never learned to use a certain brand or model of mixing console... Rather, I learned how mixing consoles work, and how to sit down at any, anywhere and quickly figure it out. And my prof Dave Moulton was the coolest teacher ever (and his Ear-training For Producers and Engineers course ROCKED!) But if you ask me what I miss most about life at Berklee... It would have to be eating crispy, greasy, oven-baked Sicilian pizza for breakfast lunch and dinner, everyday for 3 years straight.

3. From America to Singapore?

It was a girl... It's always a girl. But don't ask. We're divorced now, but the B!%@# is still trying to screw me for every cent I own. That said... I love Singapore (for the most part), except it's WAYYY to hot and humid. Me and Singapore will stay together for the kids.

4. What is your current equipment set up?

MacPro, ProTools, DigitalPerformer, and just about every soft-synth & sample CD I can get my hands on. I have a few guitars: '81 Strat, Alesis XGuitar, some Kramer thing, a Yamaha APX-5 acoustic (which I like for it's thinner sound), and a modified '79 P-bass (my baby). All decent axes, but sure, if I had lots of money to burn I'd buy a few nicer ones too;) Basically, I spend my money on Ram, HD's, food and rent, hahaha. Oh... and I use a Zoom effects board, Boss compressor/sustainer, and a RAT Pro. No amp... I just plug into my com. But an amp would sound 10x better. I'm monitoring with Yamaha MSP5A's and some AKG headphone/monitors through a Beheringer mixer, and using a Rode NT2A, when needed.... All nothing too fancy. But, it's as they say: It's not what you've got that matters... it's how you use it;)

5. What are you working on nowadays?

I'm working on some websites, teaching guitar, doing a few voice-overs... Oh, musically? I have a ton of stuff (mostly in my head). So, I'm trying to get all that 'existing' music recorded and sung first, so that I can say I have an album's worth. Once that's done.. who knows? That said, in the process of doing the old stuff, I was distracted into writing 3 other new songs and doing those first, haha.

I really like to 'play fun' with stuff, like UmBahRella and my latest creation 'Anxiety (it's sucking out my brain)', but I have a lot of other serious stuff too, ranging from tough-edgy metal, to progressive more intelligent songs. I also do tons of other 'commercial' music (like TV theme songs, jingles, background music, etc.). But that won't be going on my album, hehe. Metal is my passion and my hobby. But ya... paying bills is still more important and takes first priority.

6. What do you think of the current state of music in Singapore?

The music scene has come a long way, since I moved here in '91. I'm really impressed with the quality of musicians I'm hearing nowadays, and I'm simply blown-away by the number of metal bands that are popping-up everywhere here (like poppies). Rock-on!! There are a number of bands that totally kick my ass, either for their sound or their content, or their songs, or all of the above.

But, one sad thing I've noticed where most bands are concerned. Maybe it's because of friendship or 'brotherhood' or whatever, but it seems like every-time I hear a band with an awesome guitar player, the drummer can't keep a beat. Or the whole band is tight, but the singer sucks like hell. Or the drummer is awesome but the rest of the band is crap. You guys need to re-work some of these combinations, until you get a few that work right. You... 'budding Yngwie' can't be afraid of hurting your friends' feelings by going with a better drummer and you sucky-bassist shouldn't be insulted when your 'Weckl-like' drummer teams up with some guys more his standard. I mean, just walk through the jamming studio a few times and you'll see what I mean... take the drummer from room one, and the guitarist from room 2 and mix them with the singer and bassist from room 3, and you'll have a great band. But no-one seems to be doing that. So in my mind, from that respect, the scene here still seems a bit weak or stagnant. Where are Singapore's SUPERBANDS?? By the way, I'd love to organize one and produce it. So metal-gods... please make yourselves known to me.

7. How did you find out about SOFT and what do you think of it?

SOFT is SOO WAY COOL!!! I stumbled on it from a web-search (then forgot about it) then my girlfriend reminded me about it. It's without a doubt the single best resource for musicians in Singapore. My hat goes off to you guys, and I salute you! Well done!!

Last edited by a moderator:
This post's picture looks like the last thing you'd see if you get one put through your head by an assassin.

Or when you get knocked out in a street fight and you are drifting to a state of unconsciousness as you lie helpless on the floor.

Hahahahahaah!!!

:mrgreen:

haha yeah , like those action movies :

right hand man : "i'm sorry boss, I screwed up this operation. we lost the goods. please give me another chance!"

BigBossK : "I don't gain if I keep you, I don't lose if I kill you... so see ya"
*lock'n'load* *bang*

i disagree that good musicians should get rid of weaker musicians to find other good musicians to form bands with.

get into that habit and you'll never be satisfied. having several big egoes in a single band also cannot work. every beatles needs its ringo.

it's better to simply communicate as a band, and let the weaker member grow into it. It takes effort and commitment on the weaker guy's part, but you'd have build chemistry, friendship, communication and other little things that make a band tick.

i see it like a sports team. a team full of stars seldom works out. a team of competent players with good chemistry and communication = killer

Last edited:
visa, i dont think we are asking for super star players. We are asking for good players. Just like how you cited the sports team, if your whole team is good but you keep losing games because your goalkeeper put the ball into his own goal, how?

There's this saying that a band is as good as its worst player.

I think need to see if the worst player just needs more practice to be better or is blur as sotong to decide the member composition. =)

pf "There's this saying that a band is as good as its worst player"

kinda true. in audio it's called "in sound, your strongest link is as strong as your weakest"

gosh... no!

the last thing in the world i want to do is break up your bands... Visa has also made an excellent point (the other-half of the coin so to speak).

What I meant is: be smart enough to recognize when the potential is there to put together something really fantastic, and don't let egos and friendship come before making a smart business decision (i.e. replace someone if necessary). Also, to anyone who gets replaced, don't take it bad... rather get mad and practice harder, then one day you'll 'show them!' how good you've become.

On that note, being in a band is also about the 'brotherhood' of the members (or brother/sister/whateverhood), so don't go kicking-out your drummer unless it's absolutely necessary, cause that'd surely cause bad vibes, right?

Last edited:
I like Both Mister K and Visa ideas, and I had both experience. Late in 1992 I was in a band recording session and at that time only the Malays mainly conquered the Rock and Metal music scene, we were desperate and our drummer could not catch up and so does our bassist, so we kick out the drummer and the bassist and my second guitarist were converted into a bassist and man how we discover that actually he played so damn well in bass and got ourself a new drummer that can really perform.

But now after taking a 15years break from playing music, we decided to form back and guess what my old original drummer was performing way so much better now, I guess it's come to practice, the more you all practice the tighter and perfect your skill will be.

Like Stu Ham use to say in his interview, he was really sux when he 1st started to play the bass, but now his 1 of the pros that play the bass like water.

Last edited:
My opinion is that the best band may not always exactly be the best musicians. I think that Visa's idea is good but the best musicans together may not give the best results either. Practice is e most important thing. so Practice!

Well good news! As I mentioned.. 'I'd love to produce a promising band' And well.. Absence of the Sacred actually made themselves known to me, and together we produced a new KICK-ASS album called Era of the Apostate. (This album is also mixed and mastered by me, plus I played bass).

These guys were HOT! Great songs, good feel, and the right attitude! Funny thing... they ALSO needed a bassist... so long story short... I joined the band!

While I'm not really 'available' to join other bands right now, I'd still be happy to produce/mix/master CD's (or play bass, guitar, keys, sing, etc..) for any groups that are 'up to a professional standard'.

Soon to follow... Some High Quality Audio Samples of AOTS New Tracks ;)

AOTS3.jpg

Absence of the Sacred-2008

Latest posts

Back