Shin Min Papers Wrote An Article Complain About me Drumming

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, taking pictures of someone's property is not invasion of privacy, unless you can prove they did it unlawfully. you might have a case if they published a picture of someone in the house without express permission but even so it's hard to sue and win against the media/tabloid - if not the paparazzi wouldn't still exist. At the very most, you can threaten to sue for libel and ask for a written apology, and they will most probably publish a few lines to 'correct' their previous foresight.

In any case, I don't think the OP wants to pursue the matter so can we all let it rest and focus on bashing the bastard neighbor??! ___________

Personally, I don't think Shin Min had broached any legal or ethical means in writing about this story. As long they feel that it is of human interest and they can always defend themselves with 'the people's right to know'. After all, it is a tabloid. The only way you can get an apology if you can prove that the newspaper had actually defamed you, if not pretty much they can get away with it.

I think the Big issues here is not bout the drumming

Is about our neighbour Having respect

At least they could say to you face to face rather then called the Police.

n it really piss me of if my home appear on the newspaper without my consent

Hi everyone

I feel bad here, because The HDB & the people who had tried to help me (including the MP and the people at the CC) - - did says - - - “Not that You cannot Drum, but must live in harmony with neighbours, give and take and on your part Eric, try playing Softer, closing your doors, play less and Compromise with your neighbour for whatever reason on a particular day if they ask you to not drum because of that….it was about Compromising and Living in Harmony with Neighbours - - - - Which I did told the Reporters – but which was not published out.

This make me and them looks bad, and I really feel very bad here, cause they did not (for whatever reasons put that in) except told me – Yes, I know you said these here, but we cant write everything in details out (this is not fair to them too – HDB and the CC people)…cause minusing these facts shows they are one-sided which is 100% not the case. The only thing said to me by the Press was that if they call us – we will admit you actually told us all these (which was of course true)…..and that the Complainer was actually the one not compromising by not even wanting to talk to me here – so how to compromise when I do not know which day he/she/or their children needed me not to drum for certain reasons or so? - - - all these facts were not stated at all…and now it seems that – it is one sided which is not true here.

Press told me, that when a complainer complain, they have to write in a way to generate readership (I guess this of course is their job) - - but they have to state the facts and be fair to all parties.

By taking out some facts that they know (and not putting it in the Papers) and just what the complainer told them (even they know both side of the story) is somehow making the situation one-sided which – I feel very bad now to HDB and The CC peple who had try to (in actual fact) strike a compromise between both side and they are very fair people.

So sad.

hey bro,
I had a neighbor call the police on me drumming last year. He was initially afraid that I was some antsy violent guy or something so he did not dare talk to me face to face. In the end however he managed to see me in person to discuss the issue. In the end we discussed and agreed on certain conditions and all when I can drum and stuff.
Now we are on pretty good terms, he will sms me to inform me when he is drilling his wall or something and I will also not drum after 9 according to the agreement.
I feel for you in this issue, I only have to settle the issue with one unhappy neighbor, but you have several. But maybe it can be settled when you talk to each one of them face to face. When talking in person maybe they will begin to see you more as a person with a hobby rather than their enemy. I believe at least a few of your neighbors will sympathize with you as long as you show willingness to explain yourself and cooperate. That will already be an improvement in this situation right? :)
Good luck! All the best and I also feel the chinese newspaper is pretty not ethical but what's new right? Maybe one day a fellow softie here can get as famous as Liam Gallagher and help you by reliving the spirit of reporter bashing.. haha

Last edited:
The other drummer (drums very loudly didn't do anything reducing the noise as I was home oneday last week but he only drums in the afternoon where everyones goes to work, I guess he is schooling still). That's what I do - to compromise but they must come and approach me - if not how to communicate to strike a balance and live altogether in Harmony. I 'll do my best here - I only drum 7 to 8.30pm (that's only 1 1/2 hr - and I dont play too loud only on a Tuesday & Wednesday - 2 days only).

Maybe your complaining neighbour thought the other drummer is you. See your house so many drumsets, so definitely "must be you making the noise" right. So must be thinking that you say you'll compromise already, then every afternoon still so noisy.

Haha I know that some of my neighbours used to think that when I drummed, it was from someone else's house since that house always had church prayer singing meetings... but I'm lucky that my neighbours don't really mind (I think got a lot of other musicians in my neighbourhood)

taking pics without permission is very unacceptable though. have you decided what u gonna do next? about the picture of your house/drumset case..?

This is a small Trival Matter to me, taking pics of my home to me no-problem (as I understand that they are Reporters just wanna have pics to make the article more interesting for viewers) – I’m Ok with that and I am not angry. Just feel that they should at least inform me that they took the pics so at least I know about this that they will be publishing my hall’s pics……so it means there is no need to create this into a bigger issue – It’s not a matter now of winning or losing – but I only wish that they would have stated everything that I’ve told them which they did not (as how could they put everything down – and that might be true too) - - -

It just that those are important sentences I quoted not printed out, because if it does – It merely shows

(1) The Police, HDB and my MP – are looking at this situation in a very Neutral way. There was really no taking of sides and it’s not that they are not doing their job and handling this situation in a fair manner

(2) And myself on my part had really been trying very hard to compromise with the complaining neighbour but it is that they just wont wanna approach me so a common understanding can be strike (where there is a give & take) afterall we are neighbours and I do also personally understand that Drums are loud instruments – that’s why I close my doors, play so much softer compare to last time, and practice less (2 days for 3 hrs only in a week) - - all these shows me compromising here. On a personal stand, this is definetely not fair to these people who (not because they had help me) but because they really had handle this situation in a most fair manner

Not stipulating these other side that I've told the Press, might most probably create a Misconception that they are not handling the case in a fair manner, because after the neighbour complain - I am indeed still drumming...why? the Public might ask thenselves? isn't it.

alright sir! i mean, dir!

perhaps threadstarter can start by asking if the neighbours were the ones living a floor below?

I stay at the 2nd-floor and it’s a HDB Massionette, so there is no one residing below my unit (It’s a void deck).

Last week my neighbour (the one staying just beside my home) says to me while I was just leaving my home for a Band Rehersal at 7pm. This is what we spoke.

(N) That day got 2 Reporter waiting for you very long, I think about 2hrs and they spoke to us too. “they continue saying “We Never complain and I’m just staying next to you – the closest, don’t know who complain”. They should speak to you I think.

(ME) Yah I don’t know who neither, and I actually spoke to the HDB Officer before hand over phone to ask the neighbour to speak to me – but HDB says they are reluctant to, so what can I do?

Threadstarter:

Personally, I don't think Shin Min had broached any legal or ethical means in writing about this story. As long they feel that it is of human interest and they can always defend themselves with 'the people's right to know'. After all, it is a tabloid. The only way you can get an apology if you can prove that the newspaper had actually defamed you, if not pretty much they can get away with it.

No Shin Min did not defamed me (as I’ve stated) it just that – they did not put up the complete thing that I’ve told them and missing out was those importants things. Because if it was put up as stated by myself here.

Yes the Public will have a clearer picture then of the entire incident from the start to now up in the press of what actually happened.

But if everything that I quoted is put up (assuming), and also assuming that you are a reader here of the papers. What would you think (of course it’s very individual as everyone is not the same), but I guess people reading would feel that the complainer should talk to me and That I have indeed on my own Part tried very hard to come to a compromise with the complaining neighbour but in vain. MOst importantly the Public will and must know to me that - Truly the Police, The HDB, and the CC and MP are very Just people who had handle this issue in a very fair manner without taking side and they did not sit on the complain and do nothing (as they had already advice me what to do on my part which I had follow suit)

If this happens (this is how I feel) that why would anyone ever write or call the Papers ever again to launch a complain against something – cause it might backfire at the end of the day. Who else then would call them.

can we all let it rest and focus on bashing the bastard neighbor??! ___________

No never will. That’s not the way to resolve a problem.

I feel as a Musician, a drummer, a committee of Soft’s DXS – I have to instead highlight this very important incident as an example to all Fellow Drummers (and the majority of them are staying in a HDB Flat especially) that - - -- - We as Drummers must also have a Social Responsibility towards the public especially so towards our neighbours. This is our Image we cannot afford to let Public have a Negative Perception of us and we do this by – COMPROMISING in a reasonable way and we indeed have to try our very best here to resolve these with whoever the neighbour who complain against us – for Noise.

Meaning, Let’s as Drummers do our Part (to compromise automatically) eg Playing softer, closing doors, play and end drumming practice at a reasonable earlier hours (and don’t bang on the law that as long as before 10pm it’s OK), and agree in a reasonable way to come to compromise with our neighbours (eg my son or a family member is sick – so we don’t play that day, if it was told to us by the neighbour).

Because we as Drummers too have our own responsibility and must be accountable for all our action in a reasonable compromising manner. (realising the facts that drus can be loud) This way we will be able to enjoy our drumming passion.

God says “We Must Love Thy Neighbour”….but I really also hope my neighbour will love me too, but I really don’t expect that to happen….

Anyway peace all my fellow Softies, Musician here……I’m just trying to share this experience here, so we all can learn to be more tactful and be a better Musician in Music as well as a Person in a Whole…We are Responsible people and we love Music.

Last edited:
great post, super detailed.
indeed violence wont help, but really your neighbour has to grow some balls to meet you, only than can u compromise and sort out this trivial issue.

First and formost they did not barge into my home - they took the pics outside through my window as we have a common corridor there.

The other drummer (drums very loudly didn't do anything reducing the noise as I was home oneday last week but he only drums in the afternoon where everyones goes to work, I guess he is schooling still). That's what I do - to compromise but they must come and approach me - if not how to communicate to strike a balance and live altogether in Harmony. I 'll do my best here - I only drum 7 to 8.30pm (that's only 1 1/2 hr - and I dont play too loud only on a Tuesday & Wednesday - 2 days only).

Ah, I see. But the point remains that personal pictures of yours (i.e. your property) were taken without your explicit permission and then propagated on a medium that reached out to the masses. That is, in itself, an invasion of privacy.

Not only that, it serves to further incite discontent within the reader because of the not-very-obviously implied psychological backlash. The article was meant to be one sided and to put up a picture of your majestic drumset would not make your reputation any less bad than what has been implied in the article itself.

In short, failing to show both sides of the story on this shitty tabloid's papers can already constitute defamation on your part as it inadvertendly ruins your image.

Of course, if you're such a nice and bo chup guy who doesn't care about what it's doing to your image, then by all means, ignore it. I, on the other hand, will not stand for such a cheap, underhanded means of dirty money making. What better way to get readers than by sensationalising such a tiny matter?

Now, for the part about the other drummer, the reason why they probably didn't make noise was because the other guy drummed during a time where they couldn't really hear it. It is pretty obvious that 7 pm onwards is a time where everyone retreats back home, and the last thing that anyone wants is to be subjected to such unwanted noises.

The problem is not such a big problem, actually. The answer is very simple, although it can be a bit costly.

Soundproof your room.

Since the other neighbours don't have a problem with your drumming save for that one particular bitchy one, then you tell them these facts:

1. They have every right to a quieta and peaceful neighbourhood.
2. You have every right to freedom of enjoyment of your musical instrument.

Thus if they feel that they wish to exercise their right, they have to come to a compromise with you. Closing the doors and windows can only block out so much. You still need to fit your room with padded walls and special window seals (correct me if I'm not wrong). I think it is a VERY FAIR thing to ask them to bear part of the burden of the cost to install such items. Perhaps 35% to 40% of the cost?

Regarding the part where this ball-less pair of human beings refuse to face up to someone they want to cari pasal with, be the nice neighbour and write a non-aggressive letter to them. Show them that you're contrary to whatever preconceived notions they have of drummers.

Singaporean society.

Causes me much lulz \m/

Last edited:
Eric,

can i suggest that to clear the matter up, u get another reporter from another paper
(maybe The Newpaper?) to interview u. Tell them how u feel towards all these incidents.

Then it'll be fair enough for readers to judge. At least let readers know that u r not irresponsible like wat Shin Min suggested. Shin Min will not apologise for 'distorting' the interview since the Deputy Dir already mentioned that they wont include all the facts.

So i guess, get another newspaper to run another interview with u.

I've now as I call the Press (The Deputy Director himself) to convey my mesage to the Female Reporter (as I couldn't get her over the phone) - - - to please talk to the Complainer to have a compromising-Talk with me so that we can work this out as Neighbours. (this is how I should resolve this) not bashing the neighbour or blowing this matter big - - what's the point. It's a small matter. I believe this happens to many or might happens to our fellow Drummers and Musician oneday - - - so we all learn from this experience on -How To Handle This Kind Of Situation - In A Right And Ethical Way.

On the Press Side - - - They did not distort any thing quoted as I can see (just that it was put up in much shorter sentences, without those details I've quoted - but maybe it is true they cannot write everything down - become a very large article then) that might probably cause some misconception depending on how the reader perceived it....but generally if we read the papers - The reporter (the Female) did be Neutral I would say.

The only thing is I dont know how people will perceived it when reading this shorter version on my part as written (without the details) - - - I'm only worried that the general public what if thinks that (the Parties involve here means - Police, HDB and CC and MP) did not deal with this issue fairly, which of course - They had. without the detail part of it been written

PS:- My only option now is - hoping that the Press Reporter is able to convince and get the complainer to come talk to me - so that a mutual compromise & understanding can be achieved at the end of day....leaving everyone Happy. It's a small matter afterall.

This way - we (as Drummers) especially myself (as a Committee of Drum Xchange Singapore)must initiate and shows that we are reasonable, compromising and enhance a good image for Soft's DXS. It's a right and rational decision in this discerning community in Singapore, where we are to live in Harmony especially among neighbours.

I had to put myself into every parties involve now and look at this whole issue from everyone angle and point of view - - in the end I hope - - - Everyone will come to terms happily for it's really not a big issue - just ...Drumming For Passion.

Last edited:
=RudimentalDrummer

That Sin Ming new paper article caught my attention as well when i briefly flip through the papers.

Funny thing is that your neighbour refused to confront you directly. Does your neighbour has a bad impression of drummers?

If I were you, I really feel very very sian.

On the reporter part: It is very contridicting. She says that she (or rather they) cannot reveal the person who complained but then they secretly took that picture of your house. Huh??

Eric,

can i suggest that to clear the matter up, u get another reporter from another paper
(maybe The Newpaper?) to interview u. Tell them how u feel towards all these incidents.

Then it'll be fair enough for readers to judge. At least let readers know that u r not irresponsible like wat Shin Min suggested. Shin Min will not apologise for 'distorting' the interview since the Deputy Dir already mentioned that they wont include all the facts.

So i guess, get another newspaper to run another interview with u.

No brother, there is no need for that. As mention, I put this up here so that Musicians can read it and especially Drummers - on how I try to deal with the complain when it gets this far...in a very fair and calm maner - for the good of everyone. Because afterall I was the one who started this - because of my Drumming.

As mentioned - Shin Min did not says I'm irresponsible bro. They did wrote my part of the story that I 'm trying to compromise too here(if you read it). Just that I say "I hope it was written in greater small details of everything that I have said (which to them is not possible to write everything down, through say a Telephone Intervire in that eg app 45 minutes or so)..

Also, not puttinmg up certain things I've quoted (which to me is important as they can't put up everything doesn't really means they have distorted the whole truth here) - they merely did not put every details up that's all.....and we can't say they distorted the things. Because they did wrote what the complainer says eg " I have been playing 10 years, every night) which is not true - but it is the Complainer that told them this and they just pen it down (I dont blame them). Afterwhich they did wrote (though only a small part - that I dont think I should call it Distortion) on what I quoted - - though the sentences was short....but they did gave me my fair share too (if you have read it here too at the bottom part of the article). What they merely do was (Write out what the complainer told them 1st at the top portion - then they wrote mine and they did quote I play only twice a week from 7 to 8.30, only one and a half hours here) which is letting viewer knows - I did try to compromise too.

As I have mentioned again and again, the only thing I dont wish to happen here in this article is that readers get a misconception that the Police HDB and CC people and MP took no action here - because they really did tell me to compromise by all those I've mentioned somewhere here(which was not written in details)...so I hope people will not perceived it that way. It's not about me entirely. It's about all those people/organisation that had given both me and the complainer - a very fair option to recipocate and come to compromise. I dont know if these details if not stipulated by the Press (which is not distorting facts (I guess) since they say they cant possibly publish everything in details) will come to a repercussion on some misconception the public had that (Police HDB CC People and MP) did not do anything. I hope not.

I'm ok with everyone here, including the complainer - just wanna find ways (as best as I could) if opportunity arise to be able to speak and strike a compromise with - the neighbour

That's it.

Last edited:
=RudimentalDrummer

On the reporter part: It is very contridicting. She says that she (or rather they) cannot reveal the person who complained but then they secretly took that picture of your house. Huh??

Aiyah, nevermind about the taking of pictures of my home liao. Luckily it was not so messy, pretty well taken at that angle...nevermind lah - let this rest.

I believe The Press have their own Policy and (certain Ethical Part themselves) in that they must not reveal the Identity of any Complainer.....akin to HDB - they cannot reveal the Complainer to me, but can only help me by trying to talk to the Complainer and try convincing him/her to approach me - so that we both can come to a common understanding....This I understand .... so The Press likewise will and can only do that now, in which they are trying to help me here too.

Last edited:
the media are allowed to film and photograph public areas. obviously, your house is not a public area because if i swing by, i probably can't just go in and watch tv in your house.

the journalist is obviously a small fry, i suggest you throw the book at them. you can engage a lawyer and have them write a high-class gangster threat (CIVIL SUIT) to them. i think it would cost like 50 bucks for the bugger to write the letter, i'm not sure.

why go to these lengths? no doubt u are a really nice guy, but while trigger-happy reporters go around taking photographs of people's houses may not bother you, it certainly bothers me, and probably many others. to me that is an offence. please don't embolden these rogue reporters to do this kind of nonsense. you can bo chup these kinds of things, but your actions may implicitly affect others.

remember, the law is not meant to protect YOU, it's meant to protect SOCIETY. that's why the cops happily throw people into jail

as for the drumming, just drum lah. nothing is above the law and the law apparently doesn't give a damn. once again, don't you think that it is you who are being treated unfairly by your neighbours, and not the other way round? if you give in to this unfair treatment, what kind of precedent will you set for neighbours everywhere? once again, you may not mind, but it may affect others in a similar situation.

the HDB buggers are merely doing these things against you because they are being tekan by your neighbours. don't you think it is unfair to them? are you trying to encourage your neighbours?

maybe you can start a new hobby of singing old school canto karaoke, or using electric drills to drill holes into your walls, instead of drumming. you see, people always have a choice

my neighbour who lives above me plays drums.
but when he bought the drums his dad came down and talk talk abit.

when I have exams or I sick my mum will go up and ask the person to stop.
my mum finds the drum irritating and I sometimes do find it irritating also. (like when I playing game or listening to music)

but hey :D some things just gotta give..
so I jam along sometimes!

for your case, its the neighbour who dont wanna have a little chat with you, or not your problems 80% solves already. I think its some cheena f00k auntie/uncle who complain then dont dare show face kind.

my drummer's neighbour also liddat, keep calling police come, then he go buy drum pads, now I think okay liao bah? :/

I agree to an extent with shinobi. However RD it is clear that u are a super freaking nice guy so i think none of us here can persuade you to do anything in retaliation to what has happened.

If the press refuses to give the contact of the neighbour, why dont you look for the neighbour yourself? He/she has to be in your block to be able to know your exact unit. Most likely lives on your floor! And ask other neighbours what they know, all neighbours sure gossip gossip alot so they'd know something.

Then when you finally find this problematic neighbour, you can destroy the preconceived notion of his/hers that all drummers are ex-convicts who will rip your heart out if you piss them off, by talking things out. Then this neighbour will tell all her friends that drummers are nice people, and the world becomes a better place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back