Drumming in life

wiremesh

I probably shouldn't be typing this at all..? But i just like to know ur views as fellow drummers.

I've been feeling very down, since the last time my bassist stood me up during the drumfest semis. I know music is something i grew to love, i mean i was whacking on pillows with my hands ever since i was a kid, i'm a decent drummer who plays funk,rock,pop and everything else i can muster...but somehow being a musician....well...to be honest its the only thing that keeps me going along in life. Somehow...i've been like the black sheep..of the family...everyday my parents tell me that i have no future in music, that drums wasn't gonna be my job and all that...that my cousins could study well and i couldn't...all i could do was music. That i was gonna suffer in life...being in Singapore, its quite true that without a proper education/cert u "may/might" not go anywhere..

But dun people living in this life feel that it gets kinda boring? I mean living in a system. And just becuz i voiced out that i wanna be a musician when the future comes..i get blacklisted. Its just so not fair. I'd rather live my life with meaning den earn a couple of thousand bucks and work my ass off...without having feelings for my job. sorry i'm bitchin...just feeling a lil down... =(

I've had no formal training in drums, just played in church for a few years and did a few recordings (christian). I was just wondering if i wanted to make this...a part of my life, how do i go about doing this? I'm not asking for attention or what not...just wanting to get some tips...like how do i let me people see,like and hear my playing, where can i woodshed without disturbing neighbours and yet without having to pay a hefty 12 bucks an hour for woodshedding? Being in a band feels great, it gives ur another side a chance to explore and blend in with the music. But then again, how do u be versertile enough to play fast as in really fast like those Avenged sevenfold drummers or ian paice and bla bla...yet be able to play with solid sound control of some professional jazz musicians...

I've never really practiced on the drumset at all, everything i do now...comes naturally...i love drums no doubt, but i hate it when i get dissed by the elders, and especially my parents...for doing it.
Sometimes you really feel like giving up...its like everything you've done was totally for nothing. Especially in the local music sence....."hey dude wanna go see a local band?" "WAT?Local??Siao ah must be lousy lah". "Wah lau eh..den if next time my band got gig how?" "IGo igo..cuz u friend mah..and i also know u can play well".
When will we be able to open the eyes of our own fellow singaporeans...for them to accept our music. lol...

I'm not trying to say that i play well...eh as every fellow drummer here knows...we have monster drummers in Singapore too... :) I won't say that i'm a lousy drummer either..but i play..decently well enough.

Currently i'm serving my NS, in my evenings i jam with the new band i'm in called Shiroi. Sometimes i jam with other bands too and with my "friend" An(bassist). I get my practice on a remo drumpad...eh i do funk,rock,pop, a lil fusion a lil swing hip hop...bla bla....my dreams as a musician, is basically to make really really good music, music that people can relate to, and as a band...i'd love to be the driving force behind it...yet not have the band build its world around me...also to be..a good time keeper...yet being solid and colorful when needed. I don't need to be an overrated rockstar or something...but if i'm able to make it, some appreciation from the crowd would be nice....

Just thought i'd dropped a lil of what i'm feeling...hope u guys dun mind..and maybe might be able to share with me some insights..of your lives...especially those who have made it in the Local drumming scene.

How do you get someone to sample your band music?
How do you get someone who might be at least interested to listen?
Would it be better to go indie? Or find a producer?
Is it possible to still study hard in poly yet do music? Or be better to go all out?

I guess i'm asking all these weird questions...eh mainly becuz i've never really dared to ask anyone..so ya heres it at one shot lol....sorry guys so much questions....boom....its also to at least know, enough proper knowledge as a drummer...be it for the band or not. I really hope to be a drummer known not only for the things he can play, but also as a person who can inspire others to pickup the same instrument, not being cocky and have some rockstar aire...

thanks all....its quite a long post lol...

I shall try to answer some questions you posted with my limited knowledge. Hopefully it'll help you feel a little better afterwards :)

How do you get someone to sample your band music?

Record decent enough demos. Try to push your demos out to people in whatever ways you can. On myspace, give them out at your gigs etc.

How do you get someone who might be at least interested to listen?

If your music is good, people will listen to you. Just get your music out there. Push your demos around. People will notice.

Would it be better to go indie? Or find a producer?

You can be indie and still get a producer for your studio recording. A producer is someone who can help shape your band's sound by offering advices and fine-tuning your sound/song arrangements. You don't need to be a major act to have a producer for your band.

Perhaps what you mean is to go totally DIY? That's fine, if you guys really know what you're doing. If you don't, getting a producer (or 2nd opinions from sound engineers) will help your band improve a lot.

Is it possible to still study hard in poly yet do music? Or be better to go all out?

Yes. It's all about time management.

Hope this helps a little :)

About the studies and music thing, it's possible to do well for both! You just have to be prepared to sacrifice alot of other things.

I can't say much for myself but there was a time when I was a lot like you. I wanted to screw my studies and go into music full-time, practice 8 hours a day, generally wanted to be a real music hero in singapore, or at least a drum hero. but i realised that no matter how good i become in this business, for a drummer at least, i will never achieve the things that drummers overseas will achieve.

not to say i'm dissing the government or compensating for annything i lack. in fact i'm very sure that if i had been real hardcore with practicing i would've been a very good drummer. right now i'm just average, having not practiced regularly because of grueling school hours and general lethargy and lack of motivation. still, recently i tried to transcribe and play the rodney holmes cowbell groove and was surprised that i could play it within an hour of fooling around.

i interviewed concave scream recently and there was something that pann (the guitarist) said that struck a chord in me. i asked him if it was possible to survive by doing music fulltime and he said that "is surviving enough? it's definitely possible but surviving doesn't equate to lifestyle needs. living in a cardboard box sounds like surviving to me."

i don't know if i can be anyone to give advice but i will say this: if you are talented (and you will know this) and have the foresight to working in the music industry, then go for it. Throw everything out there. Someone will recognize you for sure. probably not here, but someone out there. If you are not so talented, keep a dayjob, and keep your love for music as a hobby. play in an indie band, teach, etc. you'll never experience the full "music biz life" but you'll never tire of the hobby. and you'll be able to experience another side of life.

and if you're really really good, it doesn't even matter what restrictions you really have. just apply for a scholarship to some school, maybe berklee. several of our local guys did that, although the ones i know are mostly classical musicians with insane chops. you'll be rewarded extensively. I can't pull this off at all because of my family's expectations and needs. they too, disbelieve in the viability of the music biz. and i agree, but only for this place.

if i was a talented (as in REALLY) singer/songwriter, that would stand a lot more chance than being a drummer, sadly.

can someone ask jimmy lee about his industry experience? i really can't say much but someone like him would be able to. i don't know a single pro drummer here who doesn't teach at all. maybe tama goh but that's about it.

hey wiremesh, kinda could identify with the few points you brought up. so chill out yeah? you ain't alone, literally. i am serving NS too! :) take care man ... thanks for being honest. in doing so you have also expressed some of my stress and concerns :)

I believe it's very individual.

Tell you a story, my friend, a Graduate from Berklee in Jazz Paino and Music Arrangement came back with the degree, opened up a shop, play for a while and totally left the Music scene - totally dissapointed with this in Singapore (well but not everyone is like him of course).

I only realise not too long ago that being a Professional Musician or Drummer is no easy life in Singapore, I respect this people alot because they probably have to struggle very hard if one wants to make that his/her profession.

You know bros, actually I'm quite ignoramt till recently..all the while I thought that Bands ger paid very very well (because they play 6 times a week)...I thought they could bring home S$5000.00 to 8000.000 a month - but no as I later found out unless they are very very reknown professional players (not many are paid very very well here in Singapore).....but I heard during the good old days in the 1980s to 90s yes band are paid very well....places like Hard-Rock pays well but not all venues.

In my own personal opinion, given a choice today - I myself will not be a professional Drummer but maybe a midnight warrior if I can (just play a few times in the night) and have a stable dayjob...cause as I say - It's really tough being a Musician.....and that's why I respect all the Professionals here....they live on their Passion which is not easy to sustain here.

Yes a person can study and yet still do great in Music...I've heard of a Fantastic Band in Singapore Poly (a groy of bandboys there) who play very very well and are so creative - - - - my friend says "You should hear Eric how they play MARY HAD A LITTLE LAMD" in Jazz...Phewww.www

Back