Changing of 2 pin plug to 3 pin plug(Grounding)

no harm learning. your children can learn from you next time...
alien-smiley-119.gif

Woot juz got my pathfinder 15 today and i switched the 2 pin with a 3 pin the moment i got home... No more hissing and whatnot... Mum didn't allow me to change it by myself so had to go over to my neighbour who was an electrical engineer to supervise me hah...

Heya guys, I just changed my mg15cdr's plug to 3-pin. While the hissing is gone, when I use the on-board distortion at any level, I can't set the volume higher than like 5%.. will have a SUPER FREAKIN' LOUD feedback that won't go away. Tried moving the amp and using it in different rooms in case is other electronics interference. It's okay at a very very low volume. Plugged in a Korg Toneworks G1 distortion processor using the amp's clean channel, and it's completely fine, no hissing/buzzing and no crazy feedback. Turn on the amp's distortion, and the insane feedback will be back :/

Anyone have any idea what's happening? Thanks!

initially when you cut off the plug right.. wont you also cut off some wire? cause it will be connected to the plug? need help. i have a blackheart little giant stack, the plug states 16A,250V while the other end of the plug that connects to the amp head states 10A,250V. would the 13A fuse be usable?

another questions, i read through this post but didnt quench my question. is it possible to just buy another power cable with a 3 pin head and use that directly to my amp instead of snipping off my current 2 pin plug power cable?

Last edited:
1) Yes, you'll cut off some wire. It's completely alright.

2) Yes, the fuse can be used. Like someone else said, most of our musical equipment won't go beyond 13A unless it's some crazy super high wattage equipment. The 13A just says the max it can go up to safely. Since your original wire that stated 10A 250V hasn't caused any fire yet, the 13A mains plug should be safe to use.

3) If your original wire is detachable.. YAH! Just buy a wire and attach to your amp. It will work.

ANYWAY, I dumb dumb went and buy a $7 adapter for my 2-pin plug from Carrefour (thought is $4.. darn mislabellings), thinking the top and bottom metal contacts are for the grounding (are they?), and it didn't ease the buzzing :-x Sigh. Will post a picture of the adapter when i get home...

yeah. my amp head is separate from the power cable. so i just get a totally new power cable would be okay? where would i be able to purchase one with the correct fuse?

Haha yeah, just get a totally new power cable can already. Not sure where you can find it, but I think any hardwarestore is fine? Selffix maybe. Bring along your original cable for reference so you'll get one with the correct connections at both ends.

It is actually good to understand the purpose of grounding your equipment. For the record "Earth" and "Ground" is the same terms used in different countries.

To answer Zack: Your inboard distortion on your amp may be affected with your discharge current against earth after changes. I pressume you've grounded your amp with a metal device. This can be complex as you've got to go through the PCB part which I won't recommend if you're not familiar with electronics. So, the choice is yours to choose what you prefer. Or go send to the Technical trained people to get it resolve. Otherwise, you may not need the inboard distortion after all. Or remove the grounding wire you've added in the first place.

Saluti!
Tetragrammaton

I will definitely try this with my Pathfinder. Very good info since I always get short shock with my pick ups :p

i just did this to my 2pin plug amp... its making much less buzz now, but there still is buzz... i guess its my house's power supply then =\

Grounding

Hi,

I suppose you mean you do not have 3 wires but just only 2 wires.

This grounding can be done by terminating another single core wire to the metal housing of your amp.

The theory is that any excess leakage current induced from capacitors and circuit boards will interfere with signal output. Therefore resulting in humm or buzz and occasionally the little electrical shock.

By Grounding the metal housing, you are actually providing an equal potential difference of the housing.

So,
1)get a normal PVC 3 Core x 2.5mmsq (2 -3 Meters will do )Electrical Cable.
2)Open up your Amp.
3)trace the termination of the Live and Neutral.
4)De solder the terminations.
5)Take out the wires (2 core cables).
6)Put in your new 3 core 2.5mmSq cable.
7)Solder the live and neutral back
8)Solder the Earth onto the casing.
9)Put back amp assembly.

hope this helps...

Cheers!

Philip

Last edited:
ok.. thanx. this helps.
then, what doest a 'ground lift' switch does? does it meerly connect & disconnest the ground wire to the ground?

i just did this to my 2pin plug amp... its making much less buzz now, but there still is buzz... i guess its my house's power supply then =\

it will still buzz because:

*your cable needs to be upgraded. for many of us using patch cables- these are the culprits to. do invest in low-noise/ noiseless ones

*if you play facing TV- it'll buzz. same thing if you fac your computer monitor

Back