Changing of 2 pin plug to 3 pin plug(Grounding)

When I cut the plug, there are only 2 wires.I just continue the grounding process without putting in the ground wire.So is my amp now considered grounded?

Hi,

I suppose you mean you do not have 3 wires but just only 2 wires.

This grounding can be done by terminating another single core wire to the metal housing of your amp.

The theory is that any excess leakage current induced from capacitors and circuit boards will interfere with signal output. Therefore resulting in humm or buzz and occasionally the little electrical shock.

By Grounding the metal housing, you are actually providing an equal potential difference of the housing.

So,
1)get a normal PVC 3 Core x 2.5mmsq (2 -3 Meters will do )Electrical Cable.
2)Open up your Amp.
3)trace the termination of the Live and Neutral.
4)De solder the terminations.
5)Take out the wires (2 core cables).
6)Put in your new 3 core 2.5mmSq cable.
7)Solder the live and neutral back
8)Solder the Earth onto the casing.
9)Put back amp assembly.

hope this helps...

Cheers!

Philip

Please refer to the above post.

when stripping off the 3 coloured rubber wires (red, blue, green/yellow) to expose the copper wires, is it OK if you accidentally cut off 1 or 2 stray copper wires? cos the copper wires are very thin and fragile. but there's alot of the copper wires though.

or got to redo the whole thing to ensure all the thin copper wires are intact?

Your welcome.

Try not to cut off most of it. A few strands is acceptable. Get a wire stripper, it will be much easier to strip off the insulation layer. ;)

By accidentally cutting a few strands of copper wires is not a problem in general.

but if you happen to cut off lets say half or more then it actually causes current (I) to narrow into the few remaining strands.

this will cause overheating and eventual failure.

Lets say you connect a strand of copper wire for example.
when you turn on the power, it will burn off, cause a spark! then your fuse will blow, and your circuit breaker will trip....hahah

Dont try lah...

Thanks a lot for this thread. I am a newbie and had hissing noises when using my headphones from the amp.

Saw this thread and changed the plug to 3 pin and the headphones is TOTALLY noiseless now!!

Nearly buy some expensive "noiseless" headphones, thinking that it will solve my problem. Phew!!

cn someone help me and tell me if grounding will solve this problem??

http://soft.com.sg/forum/guitar-rookie-corner/90101-noob-amp-question.html

"i juz bought a roland cube 20x a while ago..i notice whenever i play two strings together (usually the e and b strings) and let both notes ring out,theres this weird feedback-like noise coming from the amp. the noise is not really a hum,kind of hard to describe,but it changes when different notes a played together.kind of like a talkbox or something .this does not happen when the notes are played separately but only when two notes are played together. this only occurs on the lead channel and the noise gets more obvious as gain and tone increases.

Is this normal? hw can i solve this problem and take away the noise. "

:D:D
Hi Sittingduck,

I am quite sure you are not having problem with your amp.
This wierd noise is caused by improper tuning.
"E" and "B" strings when played together for example...
Its caused by harmonics within a true tone of a single note.
If you happen to tune your guitar using harmonic tuning, you will understand what I am trying to say.

Harmonics happen in a very special way.
In this case the guitar string is vibrating in 2 different way.
1) Normal Tone which you hear distinctively.
2) Harmonics which the same tone for example Higher "E" is vibrating with the same frequency pattern within the vibrating actual "E".

So when theres a clash between 2 harmonics you will hear paulsating clashes between same notes.

Please try to tune your guitar as accurately as possible (Digital Tuners will help).

I hope this will help solve your prob.

Cheers!

Philip

:D:D
Hi Sittingduck,

I am quite sure you are not having problem with your amp.
This wierd noise is caused by improper tuning.
"E" and "B" strings when played together for example...
Its caused by harmonics within a true tone of a single note.
If you happen to tune your guitar using harmonic tuning, you will understand what I am trying to say.

Harmonics happen in a very special way.
In this case the guitar string is vibrating in 2 different way.
1) Normal Tone which you hear distinctively.
2) Harmonics which the same tone for example Higher "E" is vibrating with the same frequency pattern within the vibrating actual "E".

So when theres a clash between 2 harmonics you will hear paulsating clashes between same notes.

Please try to tune your guitar as accurately as possible (Digital Tuners will help).

I hope this will help solve your prob.

Cheers!

Philip

my guitar is in tune 95% of the time and i usually use both my clip-on tuner and the tuner on the cube to tune.however the problem persists...

bt ur right in saying the sound does sound abit like "clashing harmonics" like when u use harmonics to tune

my guitar is in tune 95% of the time and i usually use both my clip-on tuner and the tuner on the cube to tune.however the problem persists...

bt ur right in saying the sound does sound abit like "clashing harmonics" like when u use harmonics to tune

Whoa...then maybe is the power transformer, 60Hz, 50Hz...
it may cause frequency clashes too.

But if other people have no similar complaints, maybe still down to tuning.
Try it tonight lah.

Is your intonation done correctly?
Sometimes its due to intonation.

Cheers!

it may cause frequency clashes too.

But if other people have no similar complaints, maybe still down to tuning.
Try it tonight lah.

Is your intonation done correctly?
Sometimes its due to intonation.

Cheers!

my intonation is nt perfect bt more or less the correct note till abt 18-20 fret (according to my tuner)...bt i dun tink intonation's the problem coz even open strings hav this sound

I have a fender blues junior recently imported from the US. The amp has three pins. however, the transformer has two pins and the wire is pretty thin i'm quite sure there isn't an earthing.

I use a transformer to convert 220V to 110V for my amp. How do i ground my amp? must i open the transformer and ground it? How do i successfully make sure my amp is successfully grounded to the earth through the transformer?

can any wise tech help me out? I don't wanna electrocute myself in the process :???:

p.s sorry for the large picture size. Imageshack is down it's my first time using this new thing

250trp3.jpg

Your transformer has a built in circuit breaker. So I wouldn't worry about grounding it.

If you really want to be safe, replace the transformer with a local one. You can get spares from sweelee.

Then get an amp tech to swap it for you.

Singapore electrical system is using 50Hz of cycle. As in all Alternative current, the sine wave creates this cycle. Well...I shall not describe that in details.

For the transformer it is stepping-up since the amplifier is bought for use in US. The transformer is an auto voltage detactable which can be step-up or step-down. There is 3 pin from your amplifier which means it is already grounded. The primary voltage input cable top is a 2 pin. First of all, do you have problem in grounding? If you don't, nothing should be done. The ground splash over should be sufficient inside the transformer...which I believe you should not have any grounding issue. Other alternative...fix a separate 1 core cable to ground but it may look unsightly. Do not dismantle the transformer as there's not serviceable parts for you unless you are electrically trained.

Saluti!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HpA6xhAvEo here is my amp buzzing at bedroom levels :(

I think it's not grounded still man. whenever i do not touch the strings under medium drive settings
(from my drive pedal) i get a buzz followed by a gradual light feedback. but when i touch it the metal parts the buzz is very noticeably lowered.

My pedal doesn't generate much noise as i tested with solid state amp. Maybe its due to other problems like the tubes etc?

anyway i'll continue the testing with all appliances off and try some grounding tips from the net.

Tetragrammaton and litice, thanks for the enlightenment :D. however i still do not digest the following:

3 pin US AMP---> 2pin transformer + circuit breaker---> Singapore power outlet

i don't quite understand how a 2 pin transformer is able to ground the amp when it's not connected to the mains earth hole. :confused:

Litice, i thought an amp circuit breaker's main function is to prevent you from getting fried into roti john:twisted: if something unfortunate happens (e.g. your amp screw up, surges, someone pours beer over your amp) and doesn't really help in grounding?

If you touch the strings and the hum is substantially lowered, it means you're properly grounded.

I heard the clips, it sounds normal.

Try testing it on clean settings. On gain, the hum will be magnified quite a bit.

With regards to ur transformer, it has a built in circuit breaker.

In our home, our mains are connected to the main ELCB which is a circuit breaker as well. Assuming, if the appliance gets shorted to the chassis, a large live current will trip the ELCB. With the ground completing the circuit instead of the neutral. As the ground is connected to the chassis.

In essence, the transformer performs the same, but instead of using the mains earth, it has its own circuit breaker built in. That's why it doesn't need a ground wire.

Btw, you are right, the ground wire prevents you from getting zapped. Or at least breaks the circuit so you won't get a continuous jolt. It only works if somewhere in the circuit there is a circuit breaker. Whether its the ELCB or the one in your transformer, it should perform the same.

Well.. you can read it in any secondary 1 and 2 science textbook. If you have them around the house.

As to why your amp hums more than a solid state, it could really just be your location. Try the amp out in another place.

In my room, if I stand back towards the amps, and at a particular location, the hum is very much decreased. Try not to point the guitar's pickups towards the amp or towards any florescent lighting.

Back