Changing of 2 pin plug to 3 pin plug(Grounding)

hi, first off, wanna say that this is an excellent guide to grounding your amp.

Dwarfstars: grounding helps ALOT to reduce the hissing you get from your amp. Basically it provides an avenue for the 'stray' current to flow away from the circuit and not end up as hiss from your speakers (pardon my layman explanation, i'm not much of an electrical engineer - and i think neither is dwarfstars :))

BTW, it even says on a piece of paper attached to the original plug that this amp must be grounded before use (and it shows a simple grounding diagram)

i just grounded my Peavey, and may i say again, it makes a HUGE difference.

dwarfstars: this thread teaches you to do it yourself, which is what i did from reading the posts at the start of this thread

Just change my Marshall MG 15CDR plug from 2 to 3 pin 13amp plug last night. All the buzzing and hissing is gone too, even my squire strat does not have any hum when I play on it now.

cheers
purplehaze3691

interesting.. but if i'm not wrong there is some convertor which allows you to ground the rounded 2 pin plugs? thats another alternative.

Most of the amps we get in Singapore are surplus production which were intended for the European market.

They have the wrong plugs on them and need to be to converted to the British 3-pin type.

Cut the damn thing off and install the right plug. All the noise will stop and you will be very happy. Trust me.

Green wire to blue wire, red wire to socket.. EARGHHH :smt044

I got my amp from china, and it had those wierd-pinned ones, totally sucked. So I brought it to an old speaker-stuff shop, and got it fixed :)
Well, it worked perfeclty, and it didn't cost much. So if all this is too confusing, why not take it to a shop?

Just a comment. Good guide though nice and big images

IMHO it would onli help when the ground source is cleaned and insulated from others.It is a matter of floating current which loop back to equipt which will incur the hummmmm....

i think most power cables connected to amps have live, neutral and earth... but its the head that's just the prob...

chop the head off and fix a new head... make sure the right wires go to the right places and make sure the individual copper does not touch each other... should be fine like that... any other stuff... well can't help it unless u totally shield ur amp and buy high grade cables etc... not not worth it to reduce that +1dB of noise...

just make sure you know what you're doing before you chop it off.. ahaha.. i chopped off the stock one i got from a Epi Valve Jr head (US version) and inside had different coloured wires (got white, green and black). Didn't bother wiring it up. Heng i got a replacement one from a computer shop, works just as well.

white geen black?

whoa... siao liao... ahaa... i think on the net must have some stuff to explain which is earth which is live and neut...

my guess is green is earth, white is live and black is neutral... but just my guess... don't try

hmm.. nope i just found out that white is neutral, think black is live.. but yea.. the US uses different colour codings for their power..

just changed my 10w amp from 2 pins to 3 pins

maybe it's the quality of my amp that prevent me to listen to any differences, but i'll say it's worth it, now i dont need to look for adapter :D

:( i tried my just now...

the usual humming nv goes away and there's this new zzzzzz sound when i play my guitar too warm or loud :(

Latest posts

Back