Changing of 2 pin plug to 3 pin plug(Grounding)

I just finished grounding my amp.It's a little better than before...much much more quieter...but there seems to be this feedback coming at certain times.Is that normal?

dryfinish said:
can we just switch the cable with another cable which is already 3-pinned?
erm it depends on your amp..some amps have detachable wire while some dont..an eg. of one which have is a laney TF700II a one which dotn is a marshall mg15cdr..

i just grounded my cube 15 but now having a big problem. theres this loud hum whenever i connect my guitar to the amp. The hum only goes off if i touch the metal parts on the guitar. Anyone experience the same problem?

turtlemuscle said:
question : will all wires have these 3 sub wires within them? i.e. will it be possible that there is no ground wire?

Not necessary, many domestic appliance only have 2 wire core as power. It's how the manufacturer wants to design the circuit. As in your radio, TV, DVD, hi-fi....etc a lot dont come with the earth wire.

Noting the progress of this thread, I have expected the outcome. That the author not only have helped some people, he also has lead some astray, while others come back with more questions than the original intented matter.

Even something as straight forward as cutting the wire and re installing a local 3-pin plug. There are people who are just not technically inclined to do a proper job for this. That's why we must be careful when offering advise. A well intended assistance can and will easily back-fire. Especially in such stuff like technical advise, where the surest way is still to offer is still one-on-one assistance, general advise must be given as such, generally.
(eg. it's advisable to change your power plug to local 3-pin compatible plug. Do it youself, only if you have the experience and is confident, else get someone who is confident to help you. Be it your friend for free or pay someone)

One last note to all.

Remember!! You are dealing with potentially LETHAL voltage and current, proceed cautiously. It's not worth to risk your life for a lousy plug.

mikemann said:
turtlemuscle said:
question : will all wires have these 3 sub wires within them? i.e. will it be possible that there is no ground wire?

Not necessary, many domestic appliance only have 2 wire core as power. It's how the manufacturer wants to design the circuit. As in your radio, TV, DVD, hi-fi....etc a lot dont come with the earth wire.

Emmm.... I think you're not veri rite about tat. The reason for having a Ground wire is When the outer casing of the equiment is metal. This will Ground the item when there is a power leak so as not to let the user which might bi touching the outer casing have a stock. The grounding of a circuit board or PCB can bi wired to the "N" of a plug. This will cut alot of cost and the noise of the PCB can bi taken out with CAPs in the right place(As in the VCC and VDD of chips used) but it still best to ground it for the best output.

As in items such as amps it's really bad without the grounding of the wire caz of the mag in the amp will pick up noise from the surrounding but that is when the vol is at low. When the vol is at high, the mag coil in the amp will have enough power to surpress the noise from the surrounding.

Hope this will help... :wink:

Dear Darkrhino,

You are not wrong in your explaination. Just that your arguement in the context of the posting is different. I am talking about chicken and you are talking about duck.

I am not talking about guitar amps with reference to that.

There are times when earthing is actually not desired, and it itself is a double edge sword, as a safety feature or as a current flow facilitator.

Also bringing technical jargon like VCC and VDD on an IC chip to a layman's forum is not very helpful either. I think general layman's explaination is more productive. I am sure you have electronics engineering backgorund to say those things, but we don't need jargons to sound intelligent.

Maybi i am wrong about using the terms VCC is the pin on an IC chip which the power goes in and VDD is the "ground" pin.

But i don't understand how can it bi a "double edge sword" most of the time engineers can't ground enough.

I do think this is related to the topic as ppl will like to know the advanatages of grounding their amp.

I didn't post this to flame you. I just letting u know why there are items with only 2 pins.

darkrhino said:
But i don't understand how can it bi a "double edge sword" most of the time engineers can't ground enough.

I didn't post this to flame you. I just letting u know why there are items with only 2 pins.

Grounding is grounding, earthing is earthing. Again talking about 2 different things. Imagine your left hand holding the live wire and your right hand holding the earth wire, and there is no earth leakage breaker, or a malfunctioning one. Another point, ground and earth are 2 different things (or technical jargon, 2 different potential points). Tying them together is to achieve a simple 'common' potential point to work with. So the terms are loosely used as one or the other.

The 2-pins issue is very easy to explain, the goods are manufactured mostly for lets say, europe or america. That's just the plug they use. So of of the production of 500pcs a day, 10pcs are allocated to Singapore incidentally. So you think they will change the power cable just for 10 sets??

No offence taken, I just pointing out another side of story too. Hahaha....

mikemann said:
[quote="darkrhino]But i don't understand how can it bi a "double edge sword" most of the time engineers can't ground enough.

Grounding is grounding, earthing is earthing. Again talking about 2 different things. Imagine your left hand holding the live wire and your right hand holding the earth wire, and there is no earth leakage breaker, or a malfunctioning one. Another point, ground and earth are 2 different things (or technical jargon, 2 different potential points). Tying them together is to achieve a simple 'common' potential point to work with. So the terms are loosely used as one or the other.

The 2-pins issue is very easy to explain, the goods are manufactured mostly for lets say, europe or america. That's just the plug they use. So of of the production of 500pcs a day, 10pcs are allocated to Singapore incidentally. So you think they will change the power cable just for 10 sets??

No offence taken, I just pointing out another side of story too. Hahaha....

I understand wat are you trying to say here but if you look at a circuit, earthing wire is also wired to the ground (or VDD) to remove the noise from the ciruit. Tat's why i say grounding the amp will help in removing noise.

About the 2 pin thing, it's realli about cost vs 3 pins. Caz in the US there is also a 3pin, but all are rounded. so when they make the plugs, they know for sure 2 pin rounded can fit into out countrys power points. tat why they sent them here. But den again tat is only for amps like VOX. For the fender which i have at home, the plug can bi take out and change to a suitable plug for the power point.

Can I use a converter instead? I tried that before and it doen't work. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with the converter since it looks old...

please correct me if i am wrong.

converter wouldn't work. the 2 pin sloted into the converter doesn't pass the ground coz the ground wire is isolated from the 2 pin.

Glad to know there is at least a knowledgeable electro-musician in this forum. Thanks for enlightening the forum members. The pix could have been sharper, but still the message is clear.

In my other life, I used to sit in the SISIR committee for Electrical Standards in Singapore. The committee did a lot of work in drafting the Singapore Standards and on harmonising our standards with IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission).
Now I am simply a guitar player.

Regards to all.

i'm not too sure man.. now what's earthing/grounding.. btw.. i use a peavy blazer.. there's a lot of hissing and buzzing whenever i try to max the gain on my pedals... the hissing is slightly less when i touch the metal bridge.. but still not quiet enough for me.. help.. thnx.. haahh.. :cry:

Latest posts

Back