Whose your favourite guitarist in the world?

Edge
vai
satch
bob dylan
robbie robertson
dave weiner
stevie ray
HIDE HIDE HIDE HIDE HIDE
Slash
Izzy
Dave Kushner

To me ... e best guitarist is one who plays wif his heart n soul during e performance n tht really counts...! :wink:

Sultan said:
I think Mark Knopfler is THE BEST guitarsit.
He was the front man for DIRE STRAITS and he is now going solo.
Anybody who play lead will know that his style is one of its' kind.
He uses finger style and also a pick.
And lastly..he sings and at the same time..play a lead...
Who can do that......
Vai,joe satchi,eric johnson..etc...are great..but they can't sing and play at the same time.

No disrespect, AND I am not saying Knopfler is not GREAT, in fact I really think he's good.

But there are many artists who play lead and sing. The most famous of all, JIMI HENDRIX.

Then of course there are the hall of famers, Eric "slow hand" does it all the time. Paul Gilbert "riffs" his head off whilst singing, heck... SHeehan does it too..and er..yeah, Vai does it too, so does Malmsteen (when he does Hendrix).

I believe many R&B, Blues players do it all the time too....funk and country too.

For the finger and pick skill, really, many latino acoustics have mastered the hybrid style long before it was famous. Plus, another person, Jeff Beck made it famous too. So knopfler can't claim all credit....though he was really really good.

....I think the guitarist from THE KNACKS is power too. The way he did the solo for "Sharona" ....'major' mind blowing :D

Dun care of wat u r or how skillfull u r is the feel that u get while playing guitar n to improvise oneself. I agree to wat comments given by hamlet coz the secret thing is that WE R IN THE SAME BAND..... HAHAHAHA....

improvisation is the key to great music and one genius.No point if u know umpteens scales but u r stuck in the rut.

1st of..any one heard the new sonic youth : sonic nurse album?
they have an awesome guitarist, nah actually they have 2 awesome guitarist,thurston moore and ranaldo lee with lots of chemistry. try listening to the song unmade bed, the instrumental portion of the song. There are 2 guitars playing, 1 solos with loads of feedback, the other plays bell-like harmonic notes. And man! words fail to do justice to such an awesome chemistry and melody between these 2 guitarists. And yeah they sure do know how to turn feedback into music , they can make feedback feels like rain, in the song the dripping dream. They're one of the pioneers of guitar feedback that influenced nirvana heavily.

i guess all guitarist are good in thier own right..each n everyone of them bring something different to the table...
my 2 cents..

I think you got it all wrong guitar_phreak .
G3 guitarist do not sing...I think everyone agree with me.
They are instrumentalist..c'mom.it's a fact..
Steve Vai/Malmsteen/Satrani/Eric...they are current guitar instrumentalist.
All play good guitar.but none can sing.

If there are 2 contestant that play well....
Who is the winner...play and sing...or just play....
Mark Knpfler hits are numerous and combines with its guitar playing ...iit's awesome.....Clapton and knopfler play together often..you will realised that knpfler always stand out..but knopfler always respect clapton...cos he is good....but everyone knows..knpfler is hell of a player.

Go and buy...Dire straits..live album..DVD or CD..title...Alchemy..
See him play at least 7 types of guiatar with solos...
Acoustic guitar on romeo and juliet.
Classical on Private investigation.
Jazz guitar on Love over gold...
Strats on sultan of swing.
And of course......GIBSON....money for nothing and bros in arms..
and many types of guitar....
That means that Knopfler..play all kinds of music....rock..classica..country..pop...metal...heavy...
Can any guitarist do that.....
Slow rock...Brother in ARMS
Pop rock..money for nothing...
Classical...Private investigation.
Hard rock...Telegraph Road.
Instrumental...Going Home.
Folk accoustic...romeo and juliet...
Jazz rock...Your latest trick...
Country....How long...
Sentimental rock.....Sailing to philedephia...
cheesy pop...walk of life...
C'mom....you name it....all great guitar showmanship......
Who can equal him....he is jack of all genre.....
Period...Long live MARK KNOPFLER...
Check out his latest album...BOOM LIKE THAT...out in sept 2004.

Jimmy Page
Slash
Kirk Hammett
Jimi Hendrix
John Paul Jones(I'm not a bass player but I still like him!)
David Gilmour
Ritchie Blackmore
Joe Perry
Pete Townshend(i think thats how its spelled =P)

disappointed dat nobody mention the leftie Conrad Simon or Frank Marino..they are as good as Joe, Vai, Malmsteen, Steve Morse.. :(

Sultan said:
I think you got it all wrong guitar_phreak .
G3 guitarist do not sing...I think everyone agree with me.
They are instrumentalist..c'mom.it's a fact..
Steve Vai/Malmsteen/Satrani/Eric...they are current guitar instrumentalist.
All play good guitar.but none can sing.

You are obviously a big direstraits fan, so no point arguing with you. Just that, yes those G3 guys are instrumentalist, but they DO sing in some of their songs. Vai does his own vocals on his albums, Satch man does his own vocals too, and malmsteen....surprise, he sings on some of his songs too. For the G3 2003, you'll see all of them singing on video.

As for Direstraits, again, I think they're really great, the guitarist is mind-blowing. But there are other bands that are just as good, other legends, aka Eagles, Extreme, Deep purple, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Rainbow..etc all whom have crossed many boundaries and did some jazz/country/classical...etc

My point is, Dire straits are great, but there are other bands out there that are pretty good and not worth "writting off"

don't forget Jeff Beck, Robben Ford, Johnny Winter, Al Di Meola, Albert King, Sonny Landreth ,Coco Montoyand the Gales Brothers .

Thks for commence guitar_phreak.

YUP.....Those you mentioned are very good band and guitarist.
Jummy page..
Augus young..
Hnedrix...
Gilmour....etc....

This topic..was "who's your fav..axe in the world.
Since there are ,any choices and different taste...
I thought that by naming 1 player that stands out instead of common axeman.like Vai,satrani,hammett,malmsteen...etc...
It would be quite boring...
So by naming Mark Knopfler......I hope you all axeman...can play like him.
I play learn guitar all becos of Knopfler....
His music is very inspiring...and many guitar solos...that all axeman should at least attempt to play...
I reccomed...the VCD/CD live....Title..."Alchemy"...Is cheap..only $12.00.
Trust me...watching him play for 2 hrs of non-stop lead solos....
You never want to put your guitar down.

Note:princes Diana was the greatest Fan of dire striats.
And Alan Shearer must always hear dire straits...in the tunnel b4 going out to the feild to play football.....

"Have a safe journey home"...Going Home....By Mark Knopfler.

Too many to name...

Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Carlos Santana
Jimmy Page
Slash
Eric Clapton
John Petrucci
Eric Johnson
Joe Satriani
Angus Young
Mark Tremonti

just to name a few.... SRV's my favourite i guess..

Oh yar...
To name 1 more underrated talent...

forgot his name...but he's the guitarist for "The Knacks"

Listen to the song "My Sharona"...

The solo is played on a major scale, very simple major scale, but the way he pays it.....man...WAY COOL.

And it really makes the song cool...no senseless shredding here... soulful fast licks...one issue of guitar one had the score sheet i think...many years back.....looking for it now man...

Back