VOX: DA5

subversion

Vox: Da5

9557_md.jpg

top-da5.jpg

VOX DA5
List: $270

Let us welcome another practice amp killer to the fold; VOX’s DA5. At a single glance, this amp is as tranny as other practice units; why should we deem it a ‘killer’ of other small built, lower wattage units?

Build/ features
VOX means business with the upholstery & overall built of the DA5. There aren’t any production line oversights to render it a lower-class amp. The only gripe here would be the battery access (yes, the DA5 runs on 6 C-size units) cover; the wooden panel is removable via a ribbon strap, the quality of which would not see through countless handlings. This is further distressed by the tight fit of the panel itself.

In line with its preservation of that vintage VOX impression, all the DA5’s controls are top & rear located. The manufacturer went as far as the inclusion of that unmistakable diamond grilled front; so in terms of looks, the DA5 is simply desirable.

Features-wise, the top panel offers a 3 group selection- the power unit, an amp section & FX section. The amp section is undeniably the voice of the DA5. On board are 11 clean/ drive type options, the parameter & levels are controlled by the gain & volume neighbouring knobs. In the name of simplicity, this amp features a single tone-shaping knob. The FX section has a rotary selection knob for the modulation offerings. This allocation also features a digital edit module which isn’t self-explanatory but comprehensively covered by the owner’s manual. Suffice to say, the tap, EDIT (knob) & bypass buttons give the player access to he selected effects’ parameter, speed & status (ON/ OFF).

Over at the rear, the amp allows for line out/ phone, aux & microphone access. Despite being a 5W device, the DA5 further allows power reduction to 1.5/ 0.5W.

Tone
Effectively, the DA5 offers 3 voicing types- clean, mild drive & high gain. The cleans in this amp are simply impressive, especially with single coil equipped guitars in the works & that’s before the suitable modulation is dialed in. Bringing the delay, chorus & reverb settings into play, the DA5 is all music.

Mild drive fans will not be disappointed with the blues/ crunch modules. Things get very addictive with a Tubescreamer pedal plugged in. Similarly, the high gain modules offer a differentiated amp voicing rather than giving the player a variant of the same drive type. If you wish to plug in your favourite drive type pedal but prefers a slightly driven amp response, the ‘Drive’ patch is there simply for that delegation.

Moving on to the modulation selection, it is rather unfortunate that a particular requirement isn’t available as an isolated offering (e.g.: flanger), nevertheless, VOX ensures the predetermined pairing remains sensible & useful (e.g.: Chorus + Reverb/ Chorus/ Delay, etc.). The depth of the FX on offer is simply commendable as it makes the overall output seems to be coming out from a bigger amp, especially at higher volume settings. Touching on the volume subject, the wattage selector is a gem feature here. If you wish for volume saturation but do not intend to exceed a certain threshold, lower the wattage operation & there’s no loss in character; applause for the thoughtful consideration.

Last say
The DA5 does fine in isolated use but plugging in your preferred pedals makes it more personal. Upon hearing it in use, you would understand why it is capable of eliminating challenges from other practice units & smaller wattage combos for that matter. The inclusion of a noise gate is another praise-worthy feature in the package. This amplifier is more forthcoming (drive-wise) on PSU operation & with that in mind, the amp will generate tolerable background humming only to be amplified by a poorly insulated guitar cable. All in all, the DA5 is a winner with starters & players looking for a portable unit for outdoor/ back up use. Outstanding tone, features & asking price- a winner in every category.

Rating: 9/10 (highly recommended) 8)

• Adequate modulation patches on board
• Overall bulit/ features
• Price

Dislikes
• Dodgy battery access panel
• Modulation adjustments require 2-handed operation

PS: Amp on SALE (24 Nov- 30 Dec), going for $185
Thanks brother Saiful for the review invitation!

Last edited:
How's the overall sound quality compared to the Roland Microcube? Not comparing the amp models/features, just wanting some feedback on amp feel and sound quality compared against the microcube...

the vox da5 has a fuller sound. As for the microcube, i dont know if its too digital or maybe its the lack of rough edges in its sound, but it just sounded very fake and lifeless to me. Single coils sound bad on it

my 5cents

just bought tis amp few days ago..
just a 5 watt amp but its hella powerful
i still need 2 reduce da watts to 0.5 when im playing at home
great pedal models n effects
da onli problem is tt its lacking a equalizer but for da price n size
its awesome itself

[Info] I have a MS-2 and really not that satisfied with it though is a Marshall. Not that clean and the OD oso not that nice. I also intend to get a portable amp that have a quality tone and it run on battery.

[Vox DA5/ MicroCube] How big is it or whats the gauge of the amp cause you cant really call it portable if its only afew cm smaller then a 10/15watt. Maybe you guys can post a picture of the amp beside a guitar or somthing.

[Where to get em'] Micro at Swee Lee and Vox a t CityMusic?

da cube is smaller den da vox
so da cube is much portable

or mayube u could go over n check it out urself

the microCUBE isn't very much smaller than the DA5. i would say they are pretty much similar in dimensions, the CUBE is wider. how big is the DA5? it's about 10" tall...

da5pic1.jpg

definitely the one which lets your guitar sing- try them with your guitars if it's within your means.

some people find the DA5's 8" driver too miniscule to manifest a full-sounding tone but whatever trick the VOX people included in this little ditty, it avoids sounding useless for sure.

WEEE! Bought DA5! Phew pretty LOUD man. Oh yea for the lower wattage thing is good for guitar but if you plug your mp3 into the DA5 the sound will sounds different. Cause when I switch to 5watt its clear when you switch to 0.5watt, some instrument you cant even hear.

Its a nice portable amp, when we compare to the range of portable amps and cheap practice amps cause my 15watt CRATE sounds better in terms of sound. But I'd still love the DA5. Cute,Small,Able to bring out to and jam or play music!

I was so excited so I bought the batteries and brought my amp to a pavilion to play so happen that there's a dude and his chick(they'r like HipHop dancers) trying to dance his RnB with this chick on his hp speakers, then I tell my gf "watch this"! I just turn it up the lowest volume with Megadeth's "Kill the King" and I like OWNed him. Crap man,pretty hot gurl though =)

Last edited:
Good usage. Haha!

I've recently gotten one for myself too. I got the one with the brown tolex, looks pretty amusing when placed beside my ac15.

Good piece of gear.

Back