V-Picks

brendon

We have been recommending V-Picks to electric guitarist for awhile now and would like to invite you to A/B your picks against them. Do drop us your honest reviews!

Related Info:
V-Pick on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn7L...om/data/accvpicks.htm&feature=player_embedded
V-Pick Reviews: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=300176
V-Pick Official Website: http://www.v-picks.com/picks

vpicks-1.jpg

Last edited:
The V picks are great, it helps to improve my picking speed and tone.
These picks have the most minimum wearout and last much longer than other picks. Generally, its an essential tool for most serious guitar players.

+1 to the seller (Brendon) for providing excellent customer service :)

The V picks are great, it helps to improve my picking speed and tone.
These picks have the most minimum wearout and last much longer than other picks. Generally, its an essential tool for most serious guitar players.

hmmm, do they go well with sweaty palms?? cos i love the jazz III but it slips off thanks to my sweat glands :(

v picks are the best picks ive used, the tone produced is whoaaaa
and brendon is a guy who goes outta the way to help you.

that aside, i get tired easier playing with a v pick, perhaps its too thick haha

exactly. superb superb customer service.

i order a couple of vpicks. and they nvr arrived the first time. he sent me replacements, and, they too didnt arrive. i didnt want such a thing to happen another time so i met him in person. and, he gave me a free v-pick to try out, on top of my own orders. i mean he just lost 4 picks in the mail and he didnt question my credibility. i could have kept and picks and lied to him i didnt recieve, but REALLY, i didnt recieve anything in the mail. very nice to meet him indeed.

i ordered 2 medium 1.5mm picks. i'm a long time jazz III XL series (the bigger one) user. i tried to find a vpick that would be as close as the v pick as possible to the jazz III. i didnt buy so many because i have a bad habit of losing picks, and i really want to find out if it really delivers what it promises.

dsc1717.jpg

first impressions were, they're really hard. no flex to them, similiar size to my jazz III. first thing i did was to tune my guitar. my guitar was muted and i noticed a very pronounced "chirp". i dont experience such things with my jazz III. also, i dont know why they "stick" to fingers cos they dont for me. i have a dunlop tortex and i find that one sticks much easier.

i'm a/b - ing the v-pick with a jazz III. honestly, not much difference. i honestly cant hear. disappointed, a lil..

but brendon passed me a 2.75mm v pick, same size. i compared that one with my jazz III. i finally hear the difference. the vpick sounds louder, fuller, fatter. my notes become more pronounced. it is an improvement u dont even need a experienced musician with a very sharp ear can tell u. ask ur mom to hear and she'll even tell u it sounds different.

as for it improving speed and technique, i have yet to experience it yet, could be due to the fact the pick i've been using for so long is so similiar in shape compared to the v-pick.

expect more orders from me, brendon! thank you so much for that free pick. you were completely right, i really prefer the thicker pick.

a big +1 to brendon and v-picks.

Last edited:
I'm a v-pick convert.

used to be using dava control picks that had a little flex to them, yet i'm able to adjust my handgrip for leads. Although this was comfortable, it results in a very bright tone. VERY VERY bright and sharp. shrilly in fact. The edges of the picks also wear down very fast. I burn through picks faster than strings.

Ever since I picked up my first V-pick, everything changed. It added this whole mid-rangey-ish tone to my sound and I'm really liking it. Comfortable, yet doesnt gets roughened up! Thick, but it feels good now. Once you're accustomed to those, its what you're gonna use.

I sound like a fanboy, but in all due respect. V Picks have been one of the cheapest and best investments in my tone for all my years of playing. (as compared to a whole slew and multitude of other devices....)

They also help you to train your picking attack, technique and dynamics. Awesome.

Brendon has stellar service as well.

Nothing goes wrong with him!

i bought 2 V-picks a long time ago and I've been very happy using them (not all the time though cause sometimes I just prefer a thinner one)

The chunky nature of the V pick allowed me to play with a more distinct mid-range-ish sound with a nice bass end to it as well, and some of the harmonics you can get playing with these are just sweet.

my first impression receiving them was "wow $6 picks, it's really just a big piece of plastic" but after playing with them for a little while, well i thought $6 was worth it. I mean, we spend thousands on Gibsons don't we?

The only reason I'm not using Vpicks now is because after I lost one of the two I bought during a performance (one of the drawbacks of a pick that is made of clear plastic) and I want to make the last one last as long as possible.

Hiya, been using V-Picks for about half a year or so. Love the full tone which the V-Pick gives compared to the Dunlops I'm using as well. V-Pick also has a good grip. However, I do feel that it's not as 'fast' as the Dunlops i use. Maybe it's my technique i guess. But overall I'm very satisfied with the V-Pick. Cheers =D

I just recently picked up a v pick for the first time yesterday, and i must say I'm quite blown away by it. The tonal difference it makes is so stark, you'll never look back.

Aesthetically it already looks great by itself. The ingenious thing is that the transparent colour goes with any guitar of any shape and colour. Gone are the days where you'll have to wonder if the weird faded colour pick you swear by looks well, weird, with your brand new guitar you just bought.

These picks are built to last. As opposed to conventional plastic picks which show signs of wear and tear with heavy usage, with the high quality plastic v picks use, i would think that it would really take a substantial amount of abuse to inflict some serious damage on the pick.

The feel of the v pick is very very different as opposed to many close substitutes in the market today such as the big stubby etc. And you won't know what you're missing out on unless you pick one up. the pointed end at the tip of the pick aids in the precision of your guitar playing and the small surface area also helps to increase the speed of your picking as a whole. As all thicker gauge picks feel, a v pick adds substance to your playing. In a sense that when you're playing you really feel that you're playing something and making a statement.

Tone wise there's a considerable amount of difference I can hear. For arguments sake I shall compare it with a Dunlop jazz 3 pick which i have been using for the past half a year. Because of the thickness of the pick, the sound that rings out from your strings sounds much fuller with particular accentuation of the mids as opposed to a lighter gauge pick.

Well you asked for an honest review, there are a few limitations to a v pick. Firstly, the transparent colour is sort of a double edged sword. The cons of it is that it gets easily lost because it blends in with wherever it is put. Secondly, players may find it hard to strum using this pick because the sheer thickness of the pick makes strumming a tad harder to execute as compared to a thinner pick.

I have about 12-13 V-Picks of various sizes/shapes in total, but I've been using mainly the Small Pointed and Ultra-Lite Pointed. The former is used on electric and the latter for acoustic.

The V-Picks impart a subtle brightness to your acoustic, which is especially useful when the strings are beginning to sound dull. The V-Pick Acoustic, especially, worked wonders for the all-laminated, GA styled Yamaha APX that I used to own. That guitar was plagued with all the no-no's of acoustic guitar construction (laminated construction, barndoor preamp, small body, etc.), but the 2.5mm Acoustic V-Pick gave it the sustain, attack and resonance of a much larger bodied guitar, and the glassy overtones filled in the gaps left by the laminated woods.

I use the Small Pointed for my electric playing, which makes it much easier to perform pinch harmonics. In addition, the 'adhesive' nature of the picks makes the V-Pick feel like an extension to your picking hand, effortlessly contributing to your playing rather than forcing you to grip it harder and harder as you start to perspire.

However, I feel that the thicker V-Picks are somewhat plagued with the one-trick-pony syndrome at times, especially when confronted with rhythm guitar parts. For one, the additional picking force that the V-Picks impart exacerbates any fret-buzz on guitars which are set-up for low action, which is why I prefer my Dunlop Jazz III's for such applications. However, the V-Picks still remain my number one choice for leads.

All in all, I would recommend trying a variety of V-Picks to see which works best for you. If you do not have the budget to purchase an all-solid wood acoustic guitar, the V-Pick Acoustic will work wonders, while leaving only a sub $10 dent in your bank account.

Playing style:

Fast chord strumming for funk

Picks used before V-picks:
Dunlop tortex 0.6mm

I use the tortex because they have exceptional grip and are cheap.
I also like the tone and they are slightly flexible.

V-pick pointed medium (IIRC)
I used this, Brendon gave me one when I purchased a guitar almost a year ago, but they were slippery as I have very sweaty palms.
The pick kept going sideways especially during fast strumming.

I felt that the tone differed from the tortex because they were not flexible.
The attack was too mechanical, clinical to my liking.

For some people, they might be great picks and suit their playing style and "human nature", but for me, I found them too stiff and too slippery. The tortex were more suitable for me.

Note: As with all music related products, it's best to try it yourself. These picks might be the ones for you. And thanks Brendon; great guy, have 110% confidence when dealing with him.

V-picks

I have about 8 to 10 of them.. diff types for diff kinds of playing.

Honest reviews abt them,

If you are someone who's abt tone and getting 'fullness' of sound from your instrument, V-pick is the way to go.

It does give you much more volume to the harmonics, dynamics and overall feel. In a general sense, the sound coming from your instrument tend to respond effectively to the V-picks.

On top of that, the cool thing is the material it is made from. V-picks have been tried and tested with different types of acrylic during it's production and has eventually concluded with one that provides sustainable playability (able to withstand wear and tear ) and also it's anti-slip/sweat grip ( great stuff for all you sweaty palms / or engrossed shredders working your stuff ).

So at the end of the day, if you don't try it you'll never know.

And there is so much we can blabber about it.

Still you gotta try it for yourself, that's the best way.

I own two v picks , the v pick screamer medium and the v pick pointed small. Prior to my v picks i was using dunlop jazz 3 picks.

I wanted to try a v pick as i was really curious about the v pick being "sticky" and adding tone to your guitar playing. I was particularly interested in the v pick screamer which promised to get pinch harmonics really easily. Hence i purchased a v pick screamer.

The v pick screamer to me gets slightly nicer sounding pinch harmonics as compared to a jazz 3, maybe due to the cut and thickness of the pick. The pick also makes your playing sound fuller, unlike the jazz 3 pick which is super playable but gets a very thin tone.

The bad part of the pick is that i find is really slippery especially when there is sweat on the pick. The fault may be on my part as i am used to a small controllable jazz 3 pick and a "medium" sized v pick is actually really big. I believe a small sized v pick screamer would fit me better but then there is no small size for the screamer. Hence i decided to try out the pointed small.

The pointed small plays like a dream as the thickness of the pick and the way that it is cut makes it very playable and fast pick. The tone that you can get also beats the jazz 3 hands down and it is more sticky as compared to the jazz 3.

However, after some pick wear i find that the rough edges creates a slight pick stratch sound which is rather unwanted. It is also quite hard to do pinch harmonics as compared to a jazz 3 maybe due to the thickness of the pick making you have to dig your thumb in more to get that pinch harmonics.

In general i would suggest the v picks as a good affordable way to get more tone in your playing without resorting to high gauge strings etc. However, they may not suit everyone and if you are a jazz 3 user you should buy something sized small.

Brendon is also a terrific seller in providing very immediate response and delivery to enquiries and sales. I wish him great sales in the v picks :-D

Been using Vpicks ever since the guy making my beloved little yellow Kradl picks, which I absolutely swore by, went out of business. In between I tried and dumped about half a dozen others - from Jazz IIIs to speed picks to what have you. The first time I tried a small Vpick which I thought would fit my profile, I didn't bond with it - however once I moved to the medium pointed it was an instant moment of clarity.

Advatages - it's obvious. You have 3 sides, and they last longer. The thickness makes it really comfortable to get and keep a good grip, the material and pointiness are perfect for accurate yet smooth picking - sweep picking with this is a breeze and it just nails the liquid feel down. Tone just sounds thicker, more defined, clearer and you can feel it when you dig in. It's also versatile enough to allow for more delicate soft picking and legato - multi purpose all round picks. Surprisingly, the thickness and size works great for a travis picking style with a pick too (ie thumb and forefinger gripping pick, middle and ring fingers used to pluck the other strings) - because it allows you to FEEL the pick - so that's another bonus.

Brendon's a great dude too, really helpful and prompt and has actually very readily and amicably replaced FOC stuff lost in the post (through all of Singpost's fault, of course) - to me that's great customer service. Give the Vpicks a go, and chances are you won't look back.

PS - not too long ago I found some extra Kradls lying around that I kept aside for a rainy day. I gave them a go to see if I still liked them as much as I used to. Verdict? Well, anybody want some unused Kradls?

Last edited:
hey brendon, here's my review for Medium Pointed.

Been using it for the past year. I was practically skeptical about the v-picks. I was using jim dunlop tortex picks previously. When i receive the medium pointed and test it out...boy i was a believer. The 1st obstacle for me using the medium pointed was the thickness. After playing around about 15 mins, i was getting used to the pick and the big sound it produce. =) Well, i tried going back to my old dunlop tortex pick but failed miserably. Now i'm stuck with v-picks and i shared it to my guitar teacher and he loves it.

Thanks!

Here is my honest take on the V-pick

Was previously mostly using jim dunlop tortex picks and several other kinds for testing before i bought the v-pick medium rounded from brendon. The first thing that got to me is the thickness of the pick compared to normal picks. The thickness just needs some time to get used to which doesn't pose much of a problem instead it provides a greater sense of feel holding on to a solid pick personally.

The v-pick has 3 rounded sides that serve to play longer and i personally feel that the rounded edges allows the pick to slide off the strings easier when strumming and the pick actually does stick to the fingers better than the pciks i used before which is a good thing for me.

V-picks may not work for everyone as it requires adjusting to compared to contemporary picks which may not be a bad thing afterall so get one and try it out yourself!

And not to miss mentioning Brendon is indeed a super nice person to deal with and his delivery is just more efficient than you could ask for.

Cheers
Alv

I would have to agree that Brendon's service is top-notch. My Zorb-It got lost in the mail too, and he replaced it FOC, fuss-free, the very next day.
From what I'm reading here, it seems like Brendon's losing a lot of items via the postal service!

I have 3 V-picks. The medium one with rounded edges, the small pointed and the medium pointed. The one that I use mainly would be the medium pointed.

I love my thick rosewood picks. They sound awesome, but they wear out quickly. The V-pick medium pointed was the absolute solution to this problem. They sound as good, if not better than those thick rosewood picks, but they don't wear out.

The V-picks makes everything sound bigger, rounder and a lot fuller. This is especially noticeable on single note melody lines. The rounded edges also makes things faster, and they don't give you that squeaky sound commonplace with most other picks. They are also ideal for some gypsy jazz playing.

Aside from how they sound, the V-picks are also a definite pleasure to use. They are comfortable to grip and most importantly, they just stay in place even with vigorous picking/strumming.

And lastly, the equilateral shape of the pick gives you three picking edges for added longevity. You'd probably lose it or have it stolen from you before you actually wear the V-pick out.

I remember picking up a guitar at brendon's place in january and when i pulled outmy dunlop stubby, he offered my a rather BIG V pick and i gave it a go. There was tremendous difference in clarity but i did not really like it cause it was a bit too big for my liking. but tone wise, it was a world of difference. i did not know they had smaller normal sized V picks or i would have switched..

brendon:

I'll pick up some V picks from you tomorrow and do a A/B when i pick up my guitar in the afternoon.

Save some for me ya!
C U tomorrow!

:)

Last edited:
V-picks really give a good impression for me for the first time i using it , it produce good tone and sound . I really love the pick in the tone producing . I only don't like the thickness of the pick . It abit hard to pluck then it thick. I think brendon is right i not use to the thickness of the picks . Overall it the only pick that i try of all that produce a very good sound and tone .

I own 4 of them. The glow in the dark pick really caught my eye. Its nice. Its fast and non slip yeah. Accidentally broke my Medium pointed, but used chloroform to put it back together haha

Back