TU-12H question...

spectator

Hi guys...

About the BOSS Tu-12h... Tuner...
Is it good 2 leave it on thru out a gig?
Cause its the 1st in chain n i plug in out den to the nex pedal...
Guitar - TU-12h - Pedals - Amp...

So the tu-12h basically is always own n picks up everything i play even chords n stuff...
Will this spoil the pedal?

N 1 another thing... Will the TU-12H go out of tune? How to check this? N is it repairable?
Cause my church has this clip on tuner thing... That is not really well taken care of... (dropped a lot of times)... N it doesn't really work well haha...

Thx guys...

Yes, it is fine to leave any kind of tuner on through out a gig. It is meant to work that way. One thing i recommend is not having your guitar go through a tu-12 and then out from there into another pedal or amp.

The tone suckage on the tu-12 is horrendous. What you would probably want is to run a tuner out from a volume pedal into your tu-12 or a a/b box. That way you can tune silently. Nothing worse then letting the whole world hear you tune your guitar on stage, imo.

Guitar
|
Volume pedal or a/b box - ( tuner out/split out from either goes into the tu-12)
|
Pedals
|
Amp

This way the tuner is not in your chain.

The tu-12H is a workhorse. I know of people who have used it for up to 10 years with no problems. Sometimes all that is not workin might just be a loose battery clip.

Agree with NanoShred. Keep it out of the direct signal path by using an A/B box. The TU12/TU12H sucks a lot of tone from the signal.

Just wondering, since we are talking about tuners over here, why do people willingly pay so much for a Peterson Strobostomp tuner?
I mean.. It's still a tuner right?

Just wondering, since we are talking about tuners over here, why do people willingly pay so much for a Peterson Strobostomp tuner?
I mean.. It's still a tuner right?

It is a tuner that is much more accurate then a tu-12 or korg dt10. Accuracy to 1/10th of a Cent (30 Times More Accurate than LED / Needle Tuners).

I own one too and absolutely love it. Nice and big screen. Bright and tracks faster then any of the other tuners i have used and owned. Have since kept it at home and use the tu-12h ,as drinks and clumsy audiences drop their stuff all over the board. Don't wanna risk the LCD to beer and high heels.

Highly recommended if you have a good budget

i guess its all up 2 how much u are willing 2 spend on a tuner...
n how fussy u are...

some ppl can hear the difference of 1/10th of sharpness...
Some can't...

I'm happy wif my tu-12h... its white ^^ cream rather...

*shrugs* Being in tune is important... I dunno why one is considered a "tonewhore" when being in tune is like... fundamental stuff, you know what I mean?

That said, the difference between the TU-12 (or similar) and Strobo? I don't think its WORTH the $ unless you can hear it. One simple way to just test is to tune up regularly and then play an E chord... okay? Now play an A chord - it would be not/a little/quite/jarringly out of tune. So let your ears decide how sensitive you are.

I had an old MIJ (yes, made in japan) Tu-12 that would be really old. Worked well and kept working...

strobos gotch da mojossssss! :mrgreen:

but I'm still loyal to my vintage Sabine. its works!

Hmmm.. Hijacking this thread here..
What tuners can be kept in the chain without sucking tone? In the same loop as everything else i mean..
Besides the Strobostomp..

great info Godspeed... thanks for that link haha.
i'm not a hardcore gigger, i dont think i'll go for the legendary peterson tuner.
i somehow feel inclined to just get a normal chromatic tuner, and stick it to my pedal board. and just switch the cable jacks when i tune...

No prob man.. I'm just wondering if the buffered bypass will really suck the tone..
I'm planning to get a TU-2..
But I remember an experience with my Zoom mfx.. I thought my metal muff didnt quite kick it..
Until I run it straight to the amp, with the mfx excluded.. Boy that was some brilliant tone!
Just don't want this situation to repeat itself if you know what I mean..

The thing is... Boss pedal buffers... they are alright. Really. They are okay. Not the BEST but functional and you wouldn't lose sleep over reliability.

However.

Stack 3, 4, 5, more! Boss pedals up... and then you can start to hear how your original tone is affected. To my ears, compression sets in.

Worse, if you run fuzz pedals like me, you would most likely HATE a buffer before your fuzzes. The buffer would make your fuzz sound like you maxed the tone control to 13.

I don't need buffers... mainly because, I'm using true bypass pedals, quality patch cables with low capacitance, quality instrument/amp leads with low capacitance and ... I'm not running 30m of cables. I can live the amount of treble that is taken off my tone compared to running guitar to cable to amp.

If for some reason, I have to run really longggg cables or I have to use crappy cables, then no issue. I run on a clean/dirty loop - there's always a pedal on in either loop, namely, a compressor and a dirt pedal. Compressor acts as a pseudo line buffer. Dirt pedal, just turn up the tone control.

I don't enjoy the compression/glassy-er/brighter/thinner/etc effects of a buffer... but then again, if I had to use them, I wouldn't play any worse...

Worse, if you run fuzz pedals like me, you would most likely HATE a buffer before your fuzzes. The buffer would make your fuzz sound like you maxed the tone control to 13.

I have only one fuzz pedal which I've take a liking to..
So you're saying BEFORE the fuzz would be disastrous? How about after?
Thanks for input man.. Really appreciate it..

After is usually okay....

Before the fuzz... just turns it into... velcro. Heh. Some fuzzes are buffer-friendly though.

Back