Tone/Style Comparison (DS-1 relinked)

Which tone do YOU prefer?

• DS-1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TS9DX

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
You know, 3 6-way rotary switches will kill. So so so so kill!

Hahhaa... alrighty man, now to find another ts9dx unit.... :D

Say,how abt if i put the internal stuff into a cusotm chassis, will do aye? 8)

*dreaming of MODS MODS MODS!*

erm ... as a randolf ds-1 user... i must say that the clip doesnt do the ds-1 justice... ive used it alot ...for all kinds of genres and styles... as a booster or just lead tone... even metal chug. maybe i'll post a clip when i get back to sg. the ts-9 dx sounds nice too!

Daniel, you should just go buy another DS1 la! haha. Look at how many people have already voted the DS1?!

Hey Chanmin, thats strange... i could never ever get good chug out of the DS1, even when I was using the mighty X2N! it just was flabby and thats it.

Poooo. Don't. Please don't. :lol:

erm... it doesnt sound VERY killer chug-ish though... but i used low gain ... and an emg 85. and i downpick really hard with heavy palm muting. did fine for me...

i get better wiht my amp ofcourse... but jamming etc... cant complain... i some times bring one pedal to jam only.

I see CHanmin... Well, I just find the DS-1 nice for thick leads or an almost fuzzy tone. And thats it for me... I wents thru so many DS-1s... haha.. its a joke i tell you. Buy, sell, buy, mod, trade, buy again, gave away. :lol:

Hi man,

Ok i prefer the normal ds1..followed by the boosted ds1...i hate the ts..
..any way ..to my ears,i feel u boost a bit too much on the ds1..
thats the reason i`ll prefer the normal tone..

the "normal" ds1 i can hear the pick attack ..but on the boosted ds1 i feel there are too much gain...

off course in real jamming the tone might varies.Not sure how u record those bro..btw what kinda tone that u like to hear??

if u want variation best if u can get a preamp so that u can put aside abt 128 patches..off course u can still use those lovely pedals in conjunction with the preamp...

haha.. man... no no... just playing around. :)

Personally, I prefer my TS9DX sound. I always went back to the DS-1 because i love that fat sustain it has, but otherwise, I find it does not do anything else as good as I would like it.

For the clip, I think the DS-1 was level on just a bit higher than unity gain, gain @ 9oclock and tone at... erm... 11?

Also, I was running into a medium-high gain channel already...

I find the TS9DX gives the most variation of tones, esp after being modded. It covers a whole lot of ground, and its very responsive, even when gain is maxed.

ah... ic..

i prefer boosting the ds1 with od 1 ..but all pedals are stock..
and im thinking of modding my beat up MT2 for a bogner kinda tone..

well..good luck on the tone quest...

ShredCow said:
haha.. man... no no... just playing around. :)

Personally, I prefer my TS9DX sound. I always went back to the DS-1 because i love that fat sustain it has, but otherwise, I find it does not do anything else as good as I would like it.

For the clip, I think the DS-1 was level on just a bit higher than unity gain, gain @ 9oclock and tone at... erm... 11?

Also, I was running into a medium-high gain channel already...

I find the TS9DX gives the most variation of tones, esp after being modded. It covers a whole lot of ground, and its very responsive, even when gain is maxed.

Ah, but you forgot to mention the switch positions Moo.
:D

penguin said:
ah... ic..

i prefer boosting the ds1 with od 1 ..but all pedals are stock..
and im thinking of modding my beat up MT2 for a bogner kinda tone..

well..good luck on the tone quest...

The modded MT2 in my own setup is used as a 2nd OD flavour with the drive knob at zero and the flexible onboard modded eq section tweaked to
provide a different shade. I patch the MT2 after the CS3 before the SD1 mod and the DS1 Switchblade which is last in my drive chain. I do attach my Keeley Comp which is a really a glorified Dynacomp at the end of my chain after the CH1 mod and DD2 mod. The setting on my Keeley Comp is almost zero for the sustain knob to make it almost act like a limiter and the level knob to level taste.

The MT2 when modded gives you great tonal flexibility because of the 3 band eq which I really like alot. The MT2 is actually a DS1 with 3 times the distortion which you'll either love or hate but it's really the eq shaping flexibility that makes it versatile.

The SD1 like the TS9 makes a great OD pedal whereby I include a switch for selecting either the Germanium or LED diode for different clipping characters when needed. The germanium sounds great from 7 to 9 o Clock and has a soft "fine hair" type of saturation tone. The LED mode has a more robust and dynamic type of crunch which responds very well to picking dynamics when needed.

So my drive pedal setup of a CS3 mod, MT2 mod, SD1 mod and DS1 mod does provide me a wide range of drive flavours and is applicable with slight knob and switch adjustments when I need to switch from Strats to Lps to Shred style playing when the music calls for it.
:D

embryo yup its true..the eq, makes the MT2 a sweet pedal..
i`ll use it patch before a GE7 (its just use to alter the tonality and loudness) other that that i played dry ..no delay watsoever.. but sometimes i add abit of reverb on the amp...

bro any other suggestion for a modded MT2?is there any way to convert it to stereo out put?I`ll like to plug it to two diff amps perhaps one dry and the other with a bit of delay..

wat are your thoughts on this..

need to install a CPU + OS into a DS1 lah. lol.

"DS1 - now comes with free game when u mod it at Randolf! Use the tone knob to turn left, gain knob to turn right, the switches to shoot and fly!!!! No more need to spend extra money on a Nintendo DS!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

penguin, wouldn't a delay pedal do? A Delay pedal already has 2 outputs, 1 mono/dry and 1 effected, so all you need is a Delay pedal to do what you want, 1 amp dry, 1 amp delay.

Raymond, did you know. Thst while the DS-1 can do the nintendo DS, it CANNOT do more intensive stuff?

The TS9DX version will allow for XBox games. More knobs = more controls. JRC chip = Pentium XXX.

8)

Latest posts

Back