Tone is everything <fight starter>

hofner said:
does anyone find John Frusciante (sp) tone very weird , unique and lousy at the same time?

he did alot of meaningless notes on the live DVD...

i agree but meaningless notes im not dat sure..but he's one of my favorites..he's got identity...i like his clean and light OD tone...RHCP ROCKS!!! :prayer:

Aiyah i think you all wana talk tone must find same fanclub one to discuss lah. If not ar.... there wont be any end to it.

Tone is so subjective.

for my taste (in no particular order)

john petrucci
yngwie malmsteen
eric johnson
joe satriani
SRV [even on a bad day he sounds fab]
carlos santana
steve vai

audio said:
hofner said:
does anyone find John Frusciante (sp) tone very weird , unique and lousy at the same time?

he did alot of meaningless notes on the live DVD...

i agree but meaningless notes im not dat sure..but he's one of my favorites..he's got identity...i like his clean and light OD tone...RHCP ROCKS!!! :prayer:
i find his studio stuff dam good...i hear already i fly...very difficult to play too...but onstage :roll: just hear the opening part before btw in the slane dvd.

I'm gonna be slighty extra here. Tone kings gotta be Wes Montgomery and Pat Metheny. Their clean sound owns all the overdrive/ distortion freaks you all have named! Just joking. lol!!!

Tom Delonge sounds nice! I guess got to be his fingers!

tom delonge sounds just like any other punk rocker out there?? but considering the fact he has a custom made strat/gibson es335 and mesa boogies... he really kinda sounds like crap..

Of course i'm kidding. Tom delonge sounds worse than my fart.

But both Wes Montgomery and Pat Metheny sounds make me steam. Nice jazz clean sound. I go after nice clean sound rather than overdrive tone. IMO, nice clean are harder to achieve than distortion/ overdrive.

His use of the SD invader on his strats made me feel prejudiced towards it, fearing it'll associate me to punk rock. But i've since looked at it at a different perspective :)

Yea i think clean is really hard to get. Maybe a little too hard to get :?

strat into a fender twin = good clean. so simple~~

i recall installing a duncan super distortion into my prs...and people who saw like giggling probably thinking i was some punk rawk kid... nb.. like i was ruining a prs..

duncan super dist is solid man...

ChanMin said:
strat into a fender twin = good clean. so simple~~

But you can't get the bouncy and clear tones of Wes Montgomery and Pat Metheny.

Strat into a fender twin sounds too thin. One of Wes Montgomery's tone secrets is using his thumb to play. Pat metheny uses the side of his pick to play. It really sounds bouncy and jazzy. And when you play a 7th chord to a bossa nova feel, the tone can drift you away.

i guess the jazz box tone is alot more robust.. more mids and bass ...they use very thick picks too i think.. or fingers..

to my ears nothing is "cleaner" then a strat thru a nice fender amp... more mids and bass might equal to a fatter sound... but the strat clean sound isnt thin at all man.. just more chimey / alot lighter..

different tones for different uses... the jazz box tone is actually very hard to sound clean.. people like joe pass can finger pick lightning jazz runs faster then i can pick em.... sad sial...

hey chanmin. did i recall wrongly or is it either dimarzio super distortion or duncan distortion. dun recall any duncan super distortion. anyway was there great improvement to de sound? im thinking come yr end im gonna put in a pair of duncan distortions into my prs. is there any hints of compression frm de pickups? im still trying to attain de malmsteen-ly smooth shred sound. petrucci sound oso if possible.

eh paiseh i think it was a super dist by dimarzio... but installed in music plaza by beez... i kinda forgot the details abit.. paiseh... yup its really a great pickup... on my guitar i can get a very 80s metal kinda tone..

in time i might swap the bridge for a tom anderson H2+ .... and a H1+ in the neck... the prices look really good on gain 10 ... the reviews also la.. but i need to try to confirm..

wah. u stocked with cash ah? r andersons better than duncans n dimarzios? personally pickups r de greyest areas in my knowledge cos ive neva had de chance to test out any. no way to test them anyway. thank god for harmony central. :D

thats the thing... the reviews on the harmony central webby dun really tell us anything concrete about the anderson pickups... but im really dying to hear it in action...

*major hint*fretless*hint*

tone is definitely subjective because a good tone is one that sounds good to you. For me, a great tone is one where I pay attention to the first time I listen to and will still. Did someone mentioned Mattias 'IA' Eklundh of Freak Kitchen? He difinitely so sure has a great tone. It grabs your attention immediately.

Tone???

well,see all ur comments it's kind of itch me a little bit =)
if we talking about tone,then we talking all about a guitar player made of! evry guitar player had a different kind of tone even for the newbie!
if we talking about tone,we speak the whole aspect of guitar playin...but what most important is the gear that we used not the human factors...once in the time Steve Lukather(TOTO) go down to the Eddie Van Halen(Van Halen) Studio 5150 and he played some of Van Halen tune using the exact gear that Eddie use(of course,it's Eddie Studio!)same guitar,same FX,same amps,same cables none of those things is change except the player.at the end Steve Play some part of The Famous "Erruption" Eddie Trade mark Solo!(since Steve is the one of the Eddie Admirer in Tapping technique! he can really copy the whole things so perfect!) but guess what,Eddie was there and watch steve playin his solo...after steve done,he step up and said this to eddie; "why my erruption solo just can't be same as yours?" Eddie short replied;"it's not the gears but the hand the heart and the head,man!"
So Tone is not only one aspect that matter,steve played with the exact equipment as well as eddie,the sound and tone that comes out is tottaly Eddie but the spirit is not!

if we speak tone in technical that would be the Guitar and the pick up is absolutely essentials!the elements!why every estabilished guitar player such Yngvie,Vai,Satch and many more have their own Pick up signature and Guitars?cause It's reflecting their character in playin.
if we speak tone in Abstract that would be the base character of every guitar player,including their musical abilities and so on and so on.

well,i guess that's all from my point of view,don't b offend,i just want to add some colour in here =)
take care and keep the Blast Licks Running Dude!

IMHO apart from your guitar / pups / playing the other half of your tone comes from your amp. I dont see how anyone expects to come close to his tone with a distortion pedal and a 15w practice watt amp. Sure modelling comes closer, but turn it up and it turns to mud. What you hear on DVDs / CDs have been mastered in a studio - thats a whole new ballgame. Even what you hear live is due largely in part to the sound engineer with a million knobs on his equaliser. Add that to the fact that no two people have the same set of ears. Want someone's tone? Shell out the moolah, and the time to get in your fingers. Anybody who tells you you can get Malmsteen's or Van Halen by buying a 300 dollar stompbox is just shitting you. Impressionable young things that some guitarists are.

Back