Tone is everything <fight starter>

vernplum

When I started playing the guitar, one of the players I really wanted to sound like was Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top. Dunno how many of you are familiar with ZZ Top, but he always had a killer guitar sound; fat, singing, sustaining and 'bursting with flavour'.

I went to the guitar store and said "I want to sound like Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top!". At this time, I had no idea what 'tone' was.

The guy said. "Ok, here's a chorus pedal" and he gave me a cheap Strat and plugged me into a solid state Marshall practice amp.

It sucked. I didn't sound like Billy Gibbons, so I told him. He said "ok - try this - it's an overdrive pedal."

I tried it. It still sucked, but it was 'kinda metal' sounding so I bought it. I didn't know better. I still didn't sound like Billy Gibbons, but a genesis had started in my head. Over the last 19 or 20 years, I've spent loads trying all kinds of multi-effects, pedals, rack units, guitars, amps etc and only in the last 5 years have I really known what it is that I should be looking for. That is, tone.

What is tone? It's hard to describe. We don't have many good words to describe it. Everybody seeks a slightly different sound, but me, I seek a sound that sustains, where each note is distinct in fast passages, has a ringing treble register, a round fat middle not muddied by too much bass and a nice overall 'buttery' smooth sound where the notes meld into one another when you want them to. I learned this the hard way, by listening to all my favourite players, and wasting a sh*tload of money on stuff that never improved my tone. Of course, I didn't know what I was looking for, so how could I find it? I know now. Know what you're looking for.

Tone comes primarily from your hands; from you fingers - your control of the string - from your vibrato; from your picking hand. Then it comes from a good guitar made out of good wood, and if you play electric, then it next comes from a good amp - preferably valve. Don't waste thousands of dollars like I did. Look for these things first. Effects and all those junk are great, but they can never disguise bad tone; as soon as you play a line, everyone will know.

Players I think have great lead tone (to name a few)

Eric Johnson
Yngwie
Steve Vai
Allan Holdsworth
Gary Moore

Players who I *personally* think (you may not agree) have sucky tone:

Joe Satriani (thin)
Carlos Santana (trebly!)
Keith Richard (think 'Sympathy for the Devil')
Graham Coxon (the guy from Blur - worst sounding and played solo ever on 'House in the Country')

I'm drunk, but hey - my typing was great!

vernplum said:
Tone comes primarily from your hands; from you fingers - your control of the string - from your vibrato; from your picking hand. Then it comes from a good guitar made out of good wood, and if you play electric, then it next comes from a good amp - preferably valve. Don't waste thousands of dollars like I did. Look for these things first. Effects and all those junk are great, but they can never disguise bad tone; as soon as you play a line, everyone will know.

I totally agree with you. Tone is not entirely from your fingers. I wonder why so many people insist that tone is entirely from your fingers and it really doesn't matter what equipment you have. :roll:

And yes, Satch's tone is kinda thin... heh. :p

Personally I love mids... LOTS AND LOTS of mids!!! Thats my kind of fave lead tone... and most recently I've been smitten by Mattias AI Elkundh's tone... its... MIDDY!!!! Love it! :twisted:

I haven't gotten to the point of wasting thousands yet, but hundreds i sure have. Buying something and finding that it doesn't bring you close to the tone you seek sure sucks.

I think Michael Angelo has a great lead tone for songs such as 2x Again and Peace. The guitar's literally singing with so much vocal sounding "aw".

Still, i think Eric Johnson's the king of tone :wink:

After reading all of that, I can't help but wonder why EQ-ing so understated in tone shaping for guitars in contrast to basses. Maybe someone can shed some light in this for me?

well i strongly believe tone is in your fingers... but i would think this statement will only apply to situations where the changes in playing intensity...or picking aggressiveness can be heard. if you have a delay , chorus , phaser , talkbox, wah and full on distortion going on at the same time... its hard to tell what the fingers are doing... its all the little things that matter.

a strat thru a fender twin would sound different in different players hands... thats tone , and diff players got their own prefered tones as well.. i personally like santanas! nice what...where got too trebly?.. i think abit too bassy.. but very smooth nonetheless... slash's is damn nice too... but the kings of tone for me are SRV and malmsteen... killllller.

There are simply too many variables to give a definitive statement on tone: fingers, amps, type of wood, pickups, song types.

what can blow your mind doesn't mean it does for the other person. ultimately its what you listen to that gives you that musical hard-on.

i think satch's tone is fat....hmm thin? maybe its me....i got my mids full i love mids.

I hope i don't offend Satch fans by saying this but his tone on the G3 Live in Denver absolutely sucks...

3 more to add to that list (not in order of anything)

Andy Timmons
Neil Zaza
Blues Saraceno

tone kings...

pooo said:
i think satch's tone is fat....hmm thin? maybe its me....i got my mids full i love mids.

I hope i don't offend Satch fans by saying this but his tone on the G3 Live in Denver absolutely sucks...

yea.. u noe when the 3 started blasting on rockin in the free world? u can barely hear satch's.. malmsteens one is the sharper lah..

Yea, satch didn't really turn up the volume that much. If you noticed during the jam, malmsteen was signalling at one point to the tech to turn it up. But i have to add Vai's tone on that concert sounded good.

pooo said:
Yea, satch didn't really turn up the volume that much. If you noticed during the jam, malmsteen was signalling at one point to the tech to turn it up. But i have to add Vai's tone on that concert sounded good.

eh.. he signal to turn his one up ah? or satch's?

He signalled to for his tech to turn his volume up. Malmsteen's got little signs he uses to "speak" to his tech while performing on stage.

A lao jiao guitarist once told me.... He trained until every note u played was perfection... pressing the note down isn't enough... although equipment makes a difference.. but if ur fingering is perfect... u can make any guitar sing...

vernplum said:
When I started playing the guitar..

I think there are some pedal that does not have the metal sound but produce something that sounds clean and without much distortion. You can actually adjust the distortion knob to more or less you like.

Rgds
kool

Latest posts

Back