Tokai Guitars

neuro182 you are asking if it is lower grade compared to?

if it is burny MIJ or Tokai MIJ, then i would say yes. but then it's not fair comparing like that because it not apple to apple. first off the price is diff.

if it is tokai MIK, i would say no. i think both are equally good. but since they have both in singapore (yamaha & davies), i suggest you try them out for yourself. coz my taste may be different from yours. :)

ah, the orangeguitar guy... yes, i've tried his guitars before. friendly indeed. :) i didn't buy and he was ok with it.

If you looking for the les paul tone, then i suggest you check out sub's review on the burny. I know its a diff model but I think he mentions that the sound is burny's own characterisc sound

The only problem is that Davis doesn't have many tokai models. last time i checked they had a LS80F and some black ones, one wth a bigsby

jumbofret said:
Would you get the high end Tokai LPs or would you get the low to middle-end Gibson? Especially when budget, tone, playability, quality etc are factors (excluding brand name) to consider...

any day gimme a tokai .. with gibson's obession being

1) cost - the lower for us the better , the higher for you , even moreso better for us

2) nice glossy maple finish > than everything else

3) bad QC / lower standards of production

gimme a tokai anyday 8)

stars said:
any day gimme a tokai .. with gibson's obession being

1) cost - the lower for us the better , the higher for you , even moreso better for us

2) nice glossy maple finish > than everything else

3) bad QC / lower standards of production

gimme a tokai anyday 8)

Yup... Tokai anyday! :)

Well, tokais being cheaper than Gibsons are defintely true.

But like wat was earlier said the only tokais that can compete with Gibson in tone and build is the higher end models which cost almost the same as a new Gibby.

One more thing to consider is the resale value, if you think u like the tokai's tone and its a keeper thn by all means but if you intend to sell in the future. The gibsons defintely holds its value much better.

Actually, Tokai of quality comaprable to Gibbys are half the price.
For example the LS320 which is the highest end one, is only like 2.5K to 3K plus. it comes with brazillain rose wood and honduras mahogany. i don't think a LP standard can fight that. The only thing is the Brand on the headstock which i guess is worth at least 1K.

a gibby with that kind of material will cost you an arm and leg. :) but have you tried the LS320? is it really that good?

hear alot of people talking about it but haven't heard anyone tried it...

Well i agree that the specs on the highest end Tokai beats the price of a similar spec Gibson. But my Gibson defintely has it going for me. You just have to try the guitar out the flame on the maple doesn't add to the tone just makes it nicer but then it might be the thing for you. Im just bringing out the resale value in the equation.

"But like wat was earlier said the only tokais that can compete with Gibson in tone and build is the higher end models which cost almost the same as a new Gibby."

Which new Gibby are you talking about?? I agree with Raley, the Gibsons in that price range just pale in comparison with the high-end Tokais.

You are giving very biased and subjective statements regarding Gibson vs Tokai, due to your ownership of a Gibby. If one was so concerned over resale value than quality, I think he shouldn't even buy a guitar at all.

wonder how many "kids" here have actually play with the high end stuff other than just doing research and reading/studying about gear :lol:

Although I'm quite mad about the Tokais, there's still a sense of satisfaction owning a Gibson.

Personally I would rather a Gibson with a less appealing finish since i'm not big on flame anyway.

But being sensible, the value for money is much better on Tokai.

Definately a Tokai would have a lower resale value but then again, more and more ppl are starting to realise the quality of tokai.

I'm torn between a 2K Tokai and a 2.5K second hand gibby

The ALC range is the made in Korea range. Thus it would be the cheapest but i dunno about the models within the ALC range.

Also note that ALC refers to LP customs and ALS refers to LP standards.

Similarly for MIJ ones, LS is standard and LC is custom

In Davis the korean Tokais go for 800 if I'm not wrong. same as in Sub's review. Can't get the Korean ones from ishibashi so i gues you got no other option.

If you ask me, you can get a LS75 from ishibashi for like $1100 which would be alot better than a korean one.

I'm contemplating getting one cos i like plain tops but then the LS150 will be coming in Nov which is 2K. Decisions decisions. Too bad Davis dun have LS 100+ series to test

Back