The 7 String guitar, and beyond..

heck man,im gonna get a 7 string soon.nothin fancy,just a good old Rg7321.Sure i cant play jack sht on a 6 string but im a lazy bastard and i hate tuning up and down just to practise scales or play different songs.with a 7 string ive got standard tuning plus an extra b string.very convenient.imagine one minute play avril lavigne the next u play system of a down? 8)

wow. avrils system must be down. ahahaha. btw u could try schecters too. they make gd guitars and they also have a fixed bridge 7 stringer.

why dont u guys post some pics of ur stuff?

just was looking thru the forums and this interested me to see some pics since the photo album thread. :)

hmmmmmmm...

when guitarists think abt 7strings, they usually think abt an xtra low B. why not have a high A instead. (or some other tuning?)

echoist said:
when guitarists think abt 7strings, they usually think abt an xtra low B. why not have a high A instead. (or some other tuning?)

The hi A has been tried but its too fragile... as ppl like Vai found out.. it breaks too often unless you use 0.07 and then, its still very fragile.

ShredCow said:
The hi A has been tried but its too fragile... as ppl like Vai found out.. it breaks too often unless you use 0.07 and then, its still very fragile.
hehehehhhhe... yeah, that might be true. but still it might open up a different sonic perspective. i was wondering if any locals use that.

i chanced upon an article on Rusty Cooley and he uses an 8string with a low B and high A in 008 gauge. but the fretboard is fanned tho, with the low side 25.5" and the high side 23.5". maybe that lessen the string breakage. but wait, i think i saw a pic of a local metal band performing with an 8string too in a thread of a Metal gig in Substation. hmmmmmm...

you're right man.. rusty's fanned fretboard allows for that 0.08 to be tuned to A without overstretching it... on a 25.5 inch, it gets very tight...

I believe you're referring to this??

DSC01769.jpg

The high A on my fanned fret (23.5" on high A) is 0.07, and even with that scale length and string gauge, it's still very fragile. I won't ever bend it lol. I have to solder the strings on the ball ends to keep em from unwinding.

I had to order super lite strings for the high A from the States, and I broke 4 of em within the first 2-3 weeks. So I've dropped the tuning down a step, but since I have 26 frets, it allows me to reach back up to high A anyway.

fretless6's guitar is a real beauty... I love the top and inlay...

Other alternatives to such problems would be Bumblefoot's Mutant Cow or that fugly Hand guitar!

check out these Ibanez 7string Jcustoms.. SWEET! :twisted:

RG8127F_VV_00_01.jpg

RG8127F_BX_00_01.jpg

Flamed Maple/Mahogany body
5pcs. Maple/Wenge neck
Rosewood fingerboard
Abalone Dot position inlay
Edge Pro 7 bridge
DiMarzio® Air Norton 7(H) neck pu
DiMarzio® Tone Zone 7(H) bridge pu

Haha. There's an Ibanez 7 string S on ebay. Been there for pretty long, months. About 1k odd SGD. It'd be an extremely worthy investment if not for the TRS trem...

Back