Sweep Picking

Hmmm.... a rake is a sweep, just 1 direction. Like down all the way, done. Or up then done.

Some ppl refer to rakes in the sense that its a muted sweep ending on a loud note... others refer to it as a small sweep.

phil: interent shredder=any shredder with a website:) the only unmentioned rule is gotta be fast haha!

Cool videos!
But why does it seem that you are alt picking in the slow portion of clip1?

sorri that's my bad! the first note of the sweep can be picked upwards so u simply sweep through the next 5 notes!

My definition of raking is different though.

A rake is when you hit one note only, preferably on a high string. But before you hit the note you hit the strings above it muted. Its mainly used to accentuate the note you will hit clean.

so for example, I am going to hit an A on the 5th fret of the high E string. This note will be held by my ring finger. Instead of just picking the note, I mute all the strings at the fourth fret by lightly touching them with my left hand's index finger. Then, just whack with your right hand

It'll sound like 'krck krck krck' then the note. This is what a rake is to me, dunno if my explanation was clear enough though, let me know if there's another definition to this technique??

Personally, I sweep the G, C and E major and minor chord shapes. I'm sure you know how to play these chords barred, so just sweep em. remember to lift ur fingers after hitting the note to mute em.

Don't hesitate to 'barre' if ur sweeping on the same fret on different strings (mainly on the A major shape). I used to play everything with a different finger, but I find it much easier to just roll it. It feels funny and probably isn't too clean, but its faster and easier.

As with all speed-related guitar tricks, start slow with a metronome till you're clean and comfortable with it, then slowly up the metronome's bpm.

Hope i've helped! :wink:

alaineth said:
My definition of raking is different though.

A rake is when you hit one note only, preferably on a high string. But before you hit the note you hit the strings above it muted. Its mainly used to accentuate the note you will hit clean.

so for example, I am going to hit an A on the 5th fret of the high E string. This note will be held by my ring finger. Instead of just picking the note, I mute all the strings at the fourth fret by lightly touching them with my left hand's index finger. Then, just whack with your right hand

It'll sound like 'krck krck krck' then the note. This is what a rake is to me, dunno if my explanation was clear enough though, let me know if there's another definition to this technique??

Personally, I sweep the G, C and E major and minor chord shapes. I'm sure you know how to play these chords barred, so just sweep em. remember to lift ur fingers after hitting the note to mute em.

Don't hesitate to 'barre' if ur sweeping on the same fret on different strings (mainly on the A major shape). I used to play everything with a different finger, but I find it much easier to just roll it. It feels funny and probably isn't too clean, but its faster and easier.

As with all speed-related guitar tricks, start slow with a metronome till you're clean and comfortable with it, then slowly up the metronome's bpm.

Hope i've helped! :wink:

as in a percussive,muted sound right?

yup! I can't really remember distincly any songs where the guitar players does it though. Its more of a feel thing...

i still don't get it how to make tt rake really really dirty and shuffled. like the sound of you shuffling your feet. i've tried using a really rough pick, higain, low gain. most of the time the ending note will be on a thin string. any advice ppl?

I dun like to use sweep picking in a song cos I think its too technical for me in terms of personal taste, but right now I'm learning Sometimes I feel like screaming by Steve Morse and there's sweep picking in the song, so.....what the heck!

hay88 said:
i still don't get it how to make tt rake really really dirty and shuffled. like the sound of you shuffling your feet. i've tried using a really rough pick, higain, low gain. most of the time the ending note will be on a thin string. any advice ppl?

huh

u know when u hear those really exaggerated rakes. those which sound very shuffly, that's the only word i can think of to describe

Back