Sweep Picking

imsuchajoker

Who can sweep pick?
i started it learning about 2 hours ago? heh heh.
and just got a few questions. the first time you pick when going down is a seperate pick by itself right. so is the first time you pick before you start to sweep up is it?
care to share any ideas and tips on sweep picking.
maybe on areppegios too : ) i need some info. THANKS :eek:

imsuchajoker said:
and just got a few questions. the first time you pick when going down is a seperate pick by itself right. so is the first time you pick before you start to sweep up is it?

I don't really get this sentence.

i am.. really confused by your post.. in any case, take it slow,try to mute the strings after you pick(to prevent ringing) and try it with different chord shapes. to start with, arpeggiate using chords,open G chord works well.

xiaoviper said:
i think he means, picking string by string so that it doesn't sound like a chord.

imsuchajoker,
For that matter, if you sweep, the term 'pick' is no longer existent.
You have to rake it down in one smooooth motion, and each note should ring out individually.
Picking refers to you lifting the pick (however minimally) and picking the note. It's totally different from raking (sweeping).
:wink:

alrighty :)
thanks i have absolutely no idea on sweeping.
so anyone use any sweeping in their songs? and how can it be applied.
like a scale?

ShredCow said:
For one thing... using a softer pick makes sweeping smoother.

+1

true true. its hard to sweep using say, a 1.5mm pick. the pick is stiff, thus it will sound chordlike. if you use a tick pick (<1mm), hold the pick firmly, but not hard. the part of the pick i'm holding is usually facing downwards when sweeping down, and vice versa.

imsuchajoker said:
alrighty :)
thanks i have absolutely no idea on sweeping.
so anyone use any sweeping in their songs? and how can it be applied.
like a scale?

nahar from abritary elements is a wicked sweeper. for international stuff, try serrana from jason becker or arpeggios from hell by malmsteen. sweeping is more commonly apply to arpeggiate chords.

sweep arpeggio have a string of notes.. your ultimate job is to play them fast BUT distinguishing each one of them. so its like pickmutepickmutepickmutepickmutepickmute. if you don't itll sound like a chord.. how do you mute it? use your left hand and mute every string after u pick it.. nowu gotta do all that in a split second. enjoy!

I was wondering how am I going to sweep something like,

eg.
------16----
------16----
------16----
------16----

I figured to use just one finger, but it's a lil awkward.

ShredCow said:
yeap phil, its 1 finger... a roll as they call it.

Think of it as similiar to a rake. :)

yo cow wondering.. what's the diff between a rake and sweeping.. and yeah beez is a mean sweeper..sweep like nothing man..

Latest posts

Back