Suggestions for cheap and good guitar for overall use.

throatinfection

Ok I'm basically new to playing guitars and I intend to get an electric for general usage. I don't play specific genres of music but definately not death metal or anything that heavy. My budget is below $300. Any suggestions guys?

Non-metal...hmmm...well u have lots of options to chose from. Do u favor a light or heavy guitar?Is comfort an important factor and how would u want the guitar to sound like?

The are numerous threads regarding new guitars do check them out.

throatinfection said:
Ok I'm basically new to playing guitars and I intend to get an electric for general usage. I don't play specific genres of music but definately not death metal or anything that heavy. My budget is below $300. Any suggestions guys?
you may want to check out Nirvana's Kurt Cobin, he used an array of cheap guitars but he made them
sing and gave them life. Cheap doesn't mean no good.

for me, i would get a strat copy. maybe buy a cheap but good strat first, then u can slowly upgrade the pickups, and if u decide on a better guitar, u can swoop the better pickups in

it's $300 at swee lee b4 disc.

to bongman:kurdt used cheap guitars but they're still like fender right?i read somewher he used 3rd hand fenders...

IMHO a stat copy would well suit your needs. Its relatively light and sounds clean. try out some of the strat copies. lots of second-hand ones available on Luther's and yahoo auctions. from there u can decide if it suits your style.

Consider the Squier 51. A single coil and a humbucker, with an option to split the humbucker, that retails for 400. Versatile, no frills, highly moddable.

I believe you can try to bargain to 300 at Sweelee, or wait for another 50% sale.

bin4christ said:
thor:we can bargain at swee lee?
you MUST, if not will lugi a lot...tt time my friend wanted a ibanez from there...list price was $400+...then he bargained...nitpicked abt tiny microscopic scratches...in the end got it for $200+! :lol:

**i dun dare to go to that extent of nitpicking tho...lol

its actually best u go down to davies and check out the guitars there...tell the sales personur budget is 300 and below...they might werk out something fer you...or maybe Ranking Sports(bras basah)...

or u can try getting a second hand guitar.. personal fave, epiphone les paul.. versatile.. can do almost anything form rock to blues.. only that its a bit heavy... :D

Hmm.

go to Guitar workshop next to the rear of Art friend at Bras Basah, same level as swee lee, and the guy over there (his name is Lawrence..tall indian fella) knows his stuff through and through. There is this epi SG special which has a good tone... going for 230 bucks or so?

woo interesting. I dont really fancy display set, but lots of shops only have display set for sale, but some have one back in the warehouse which is located few meters away from their retails but refuse to give a brand new one, oh well . . .

Back