Studio setup services: Freelance or company

hub37

I am looking for a quotation and some advises on how to setup a studio.

Does anybody here is experienced and do free-lance soundproofing and acoustics, or, have any contact for people/companies which do these things?

Please email me your contact and details:
my email is br22melodic@yahoo.co.nz

Jamming studio. The venue is at those private complexes and there are neighbouring shops all around (beside, above and below). From ur experinence, is DIY soundproofing (ie, foams, carpets) feasible without getting a complain from neighbours?

Err....don't mean to be wet blanket, but I don't see jamming studio in Singapore to be able to survive, cause I am operating one myself.

Already got seasoned players (boon, SC, BMC...etc) which laps up most of the market already (small market).

I operate it more like a side line. Also, your concern is a major issue too. Shopping centres and shops are a bitch to get the approval and renovations difficult to be acceptable by the safety board.

Bottomline, you have to spend lots of money just to do up the place, then the rental is nearly immpossible to maintain, based on jamming income alone.

Then there is the neighbour thing. Imagine, if I have a shoe shop and someone open a noisy studio beside me, it'll surely affect my business operation. And you know, Sporeans are very sensitive, any small unhapppiness, complain...and complain to authorities. After 3 times, you will face the music from the law. So spend all that money for nothing.

You cannot cut out the noise totally, if your jammers are a bunch of young punks out to have "fun" at your expense. They won't understand, you scold them, they curse you. They will jam at max out and the noise sometime you yourself cannot bear.

Think about it.

If you want, you can come to my studio, and we have a chat. Seeya

Regards.

OC

Hi,

You can design a sound proof room if you can understand words like, conduction, reflection, transmission, resonance, absorbance by choosing and sourcing the right materials locally.

Alternativly consider this from OC. Play the demo sound given in the site.

OC has branches all over the world

http://www.owenscorning.com/around/sound/whatis.asp

KMA

well coming from a musician's point of view i think its better to leave things to the professionals. Cos i've jammed in DIY studios before... the room acoustics are really shitty. regardless the marshall head, or really great drum sets, or whatever boutique amps The room just makes everything sound sucky...

Yes.... as seekz says.

You can't please everyone. Some like coffee, some like tea.

I had jammers say that my room is best they used so far, and others saying they can't hear each other play.

We stick to a safe model and smile as best we can to our customers lor.

Acoustic treatment depends, among other things, on the Room size, shape, type and position of the monitor speaker, nature and type of musical instuments etc.

wall panels, bass traps, slat resonators are made (DIY) to absorbe specific frequencies.

Commerciallly available bass traps and acoustic panels can also be used for the same

alright i shoot out some of these acoustic treatment tip thingy aite..
first n for most.. get all the wall doubled with probably a gypsen board.. hopefully i get the spelling rite.. hehe...
fillup some porous abcorbent material such as rockwool between the walls..
free all joints with neoprene rubbers as to absorb structure noise..
raise floor if u have the budget or if it is tight juz do a drum riser n fill it up with some treating material in the riser as well...
carpet would be good for the surface of the floor..
well, if it is juz a jamming studio.. dun have to watse money to buy those acoustic material.. coz the purpose is to break out some of the high frequencies as to reduce standing waves boucing through a parallel walls...
or dun have to even consider diffuser.. but it is good to consider a primitive diffuser if it gets way too off...!!
wat matter most is the low frequency wic will built up within the room coz low frequency will built up at least 6db once it hits each surface.. built some good basstrap with some proper calculation as to minimise this problem..
n lastly consider the stc rate.. this terms applies to noise leaking to the room..
well, dat is how much i will let it out of the hook bro... the rest has the be trial n error... these r juz the basic of sound treating...

Back