stop modding your pedal

If we're saying making say a Boss Blues Driver open up by giving it more bottom and punchier mids that would be one thing. But I find making a SD-1 sound like a TB abit disturbing since it might be better to get a TB than to change most of the parts in the SD-1.

hullabalooeeks said:
One thing, u gotta agree some pedals do need a mod... WAHAHA.
Every pedal has its own characteristic, some just CANNOT MAKE IT!

Flaw is beauty!!

those who can modd... no big deal abt it to be frank.... you change one fking resistor or capcitor can also can check the sound.

mind you I SAID Change not improvement...

what is call good in the sense of ART?

even a bad pedal can have it own characters ...

like wise not even every strat is consider playable

i encounter how many moddist can modd but cant get the pedal back to life when its death...

even when they did get it back to life.... the sound change....

imagine you love the sound of your ts808.... and it's dead.... you brought to an moddist..... you assume he can repair... fine he did repair it good...

and you discovered the sound is different....

ISNT it EQUAL to

DEAD PEDAL + WRONG REPLACEMENT= MOD PEDAL ???

think abt it

relax dude... you sounded so angsty.... haha.. its always subjective... is that your personal experience?

guitar playing not about mod pedals oni.. u have to do your part by learning how to play properly lol..

Agree with many here that it's really subjective. Some say instruments have "souls". Like a <insert some old year> Les Paul Standard played by <insert typical guitar legend> would play and sound PHENOMENAL to some people AFTER they already know of the guitar's background. But played and compared A/B with another similar guitar they probably couldn't hear the difference. Even if there were differences, there's usually, if not always a logical and scientific explanation to explain the difference e.g. finish wearing thin, wood drying etc.

Some say instruments are TOOLS. For me if I ever hesitate modding of any sort it would be because of the sentimental value more than anything else. This value would probably be similar to the "soul" or "character" that many people prefer to know it as.

So audioslave.. do you oppose the modding of guitars too? I presume that should also be the case. I don't think everyone that mods pedals or guitars or whatever instrument are people who don't care about individual instruments "characters", "souls" and whatnot. To some, modding is a learning experience, learning about how individual components can affect the end product and how to modify these components to get the dream sound. This dream sound that they get can also be called a unique character I should say.

No offence bro, I agree with you about what people think of as flaws can also be character, in the sense that there's always a place for it. Just like people say that everyone would have a place and use, just the right time and opportunity I guess. Like the tone of the Kinks guitarist. His overdriven guitar tone sounds like he's playing through a broken speaker, coupled with that little-out-of-tune solo in "You Really Got Me" is just signature. So chill, don't get so mad ^^

Anyway sorry for lengthy post.. long winded haha.

Firstly i think the only reason why people buy pedals is to search for their tone or to add versatility. So i mean why worship the pedal??? Sick of it, just mod la!!! haha

I mean the pedal should suit you instead of u suiting the pedal... Look, for GOODNESS SAKE, you're idolizing ur pedals!!!

If the pedals have sentimental value so be it, quit the modding. Other than that, no reason why people shouldnt mod their pedals. Its their money, its their business.

If the modded pedals turns up well, good. If not then mod again and again and again and again....

Flaw is beauty!!
-
i dun lyk some flaws, such as the thin sounding DS1, which is a really big flaw to some1 lyk me who lyks punk chunks until now

those who can modd... no big deal abt it to be frank.... you change one fking resistor or capcitor can also can check the sound.
-
some people can mod, and its a skill that requires practice, and at least some knowledge of electrical circuit and how not to get burnt by a soldering iron

mind you I SAID Change not improvement...
-
people usually change to improve

what is call good in the sense of ART?
-
good is good, bad is bad, too bad the world is not like this, tone is very subjective

even a bad pedal can have it own characters ...
-
but not everybody likes the characteristics of a "bad" pedal, that why they mod it

like wise not even every strat is consider playable
-
so true

i encounter how many moddist can modd but cant get the pedal back to life when its death...
-
thats why they "mod" the pedal, not "resurrect" it

even when they did get it back to life.... the sound change....
-
no 2 capacitors, transistors or resistors are exactly the same, and a pedal technically never sounds exactly the same all the time, so???

imagine you love the sound of your ts808.... and it's dead.... you brought to an moddist..... you assume he can repair... fine he did repair it good...
and you discovered the sound is different....
-
it died and came back to life, so? think about it in terms of resurrecting a person that died, back to life

ISNT it EQUAL to
DEAD PEDAL + WRONG REPLACEMENT= MOD PEDAL ???
think abt it
-
thats kinda totally out of point and nothing really to think about

my 2 cents worth at the end of a boring and tiring day

jeremy i agree. i cant make sense out of him. Lol.. about dead and alive...
What die and resurrect. Huh??? Ur modders are called modders... not jesus. LOL!

Anyway, dead or alive is a damn good song by bon jovi.

SD1 is very similar to TS9 in terms of circuitry. think there isn't a prob with people modding to TS9, especially for those who prefer the Boss casings.

And of course, for the TS808, it's way overpriced. I support modding SD1 to TS808 since Ibanez is charging way too much just for the sake of (the SRV?) legacy.

I don't disagree with modding, but I disagree with modding vintage stuff. Take for instance, you won't want to mod a vintage car with neons and a turbo right, but for mass produced stuff, why not? They are of abundance, and they are cheap. If you cock up, just buy another one. Simple as that. Besides, modding brings forth the option of having individuality and uniqueness, so why not? And since certain vintage pedals are rare, I think it's perfectly fine to mod a modern pedal to work and sound like a vintage pedal, as long as it is sold honestly as a modified pedal and not a vintage one.

this is one thing i find very strange in this forum cos i came across it many times.

its kinda strange tt every1 gets very pushy n touchy when it comes to personal opinion. its like you guys r trying to force ur opinion into others. look at it a different way. personal opinion is like just giving another side of the story or different view point to how others see things. its alrite to voice ur opinion but i think we should stop trying to force our opinions into others.

btw u dun have to agree with wat i just wrote. cos dats just my opinion. wahahaha. :D

Hey audioslave,

why you get so angry ??? you dun wanna mod ... dun mod lah ~! It's like ... getting angry with ppl for buying a pedal or guitar dat you dun like. Personal preferance mah, rite anot ??? If you are angry at a badly modded pedal... den different... but ... so far... I'm very satisfied with mine..~!

I've sent almost all my pedals to Randolf for mods~!

I used to hate the mt2 (should i get angry with boss ?), but after modding it, there's not a pedal line my line up i could love more ~!

Randolf is a freakin Genius ~! He fixed my spoil DS-1 and modded it. And when i "killed" my cs3 (really advice ppl not to anyhow try stuff you read off the net, unless you know wat u're doing) HE REVIVED IT, with a modd of course ~!!~! Seriously doubt many ppl have that ability...~! Also .. alot of modds are fixed,meaning there's afew mods, but that's it (ie. Keeley, analogman, diokay, etc)...~! Randolf CUSTOMISES the pedals to what you want ~!~!~! In a sense it's no longer just a mod .... it's customization...~! WHAT YOU WANT ~!

DS1 with a 3-way toggle switch (Devil Eyes Mod).....
now he even has a mod called the "SWITCHBLADE" (2-switches) one to toggle between GERM, ULTRA, SEM, and one other switch for the tone~!

Cant wait to get my CB535 back ...~!
Randolf's installing a switch to toggle between the yellow, and (an added) red fasel (dun know of anyone in the world who can do dat), changing to fulltone pot and fix the switch selector, so dun have the "thiak thiak" sound~

Hey hullabalooeeks ~! Totally agree with you ~!
Quote "Look, for GOODNESS SAKE, you're idolizing ur pedals!!!"

wah nebo. sounds gd man. how much is he charging for de mods. haha. cos im planning to get a ds1 as a booster in front of my amp but de sound kinda shrill. haha. audioslave idolizes his pedal. i can see u idolize randolf :wink:

mikemann said:
LOL.....Do I see Edwin or Randolf breaking out in sweat :smt103 , on the sight of the topic..... :lol: :lol:

sweating? hahahha.... like i give a damn! 8)

I'm concentrating on building pedals now and some occasional mods. If they like what they hear then do it lor.

Detractors are a plenty. If I get worked up each time someone says something remotely related to what I do... man.. I should be warded.

but then... hmmm.... maybe I should. Nurses are really sweet lah... :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

There are talkers and there are doers. What are you? *points points points*

Gee!! Its getting HOT in here..

To me its ur own preference.

U bought the stuff with ur money dude.. Feel free to exploit it.

Unless its not not yours, then don't do anything to it. If its urs, up to U lah..

Its just like buying a Lego set.

The box cover shows the piece that U are supposed to build.. In the end, U can even build a sandcastle other than an X-Wing Tie fighter..

If U don't like to play with Lego, can buy urself a Playmobil..

There's no limit to wat u can or want to do with ur stuff..

Latest posts

Back