Stayers & Quitters

if they cannot make u a willing stayer,
they can make u a LL stayer(aka no choice, pay bank loans, pay car loans, pay pay pay tax tax tax, LL whole life paying debt stayers.)

only a fortunate few can leap out of the well and go beyond.

Singapore isn't all that bad a place to live in once you see some other places which are more worse of.

But just like anything else, staying in the same place for too long gets boring..

I only have two main gripes with the country
1) It's geographically small, so the places you can go is limited. No fault of anyone
2) I can't type the next one out because that'd get me in trouble with big brother. :p

But you know as they say, the grass is greener on the other side. :) So migrating isn't necessarily for everyone!

I too, feel that Singapore is getting more of a pay country... Everything's increasing how to cope? :(

Anyway hope things turn for the better. World is lacking resources!!

In actual fact I've travelled quite a bit and the only place I'd be happy living in would be New Zealand, so yeah its all about the grass being greener on the other side. The longer you live there, the more disadvantages would come to light.

I feel safe and secure living in Singapore, but with the standard of living rising all the time, my reason if I migrate would be to have a better life, since living here could one day become a struggle. Did I mention that South Korea has a much higher standard of living than here in Singapore?

So, actually I'd prefer to be a stayer, and would only migrate if I had no choice.

Interestingly, Belgium's taxes are amongst the highest in the world, occasionally going up to 50 percent!!! Scary.

I've noticed over time that people who have lived elsewhere tend to say that Singapore is really quite a nice place to stay. And vice versa people who have never been anywhere else tend to say they want to leave.

Talk to some Japanese/Korean/Western expatriates working here, many of them would rather stay here.

If you think tax rates are high here, it's not difficult at all to compare. Here,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_bracket

If you think GST sucks, it's not difficult to compare either.
Here,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_added_tax

No matter where you live there are things that you will love, and things that you will hate. The important thing is to find the place where you find best suits your lifestyle, where you love the things you love and can tolerate the things you hate. But beware of painting a rosy picture of somewhere else before you've even stayed there for more than a year.

True story: My uncle and aunt migrated his whole family to the land of the free (America). My cousins are not allowed out of the house past 9pm.

Another true story: My best friend migrated to Toronto, he loves it there because of the cosmopolitan culture, even though he hates the weather.

If I were to migrate, I'd say for me, New Zealand, Switzerland or maybe Sweden. But I love how everything is nice and stable and predictable over here too much to ever migrate I think.

The best place for RoRK is Malacca!

Seriously!!! I had a one-week gig late last year to train a few uni lecturers on the fine art of BS. :-D Alright - so it was a video post production thingy.

Anyways, I was apprehensive at first but I enjoyed every minute of my stay there. Food was great and cheap. Gotch pub. Gotch live band. Gotch nice chicks! Gotch friendly and mischievious kakis.

But best of all was the quiet and serenity - when you wanted it. If you wanted to be part of a crowd, it was within reach.

The only down side was that the different races didn't mix together. AFAICR, I don't recall seeing Malays and Chinese mixing together. Chinese and Indians together yes. That was the only downside.

But once family thingies are resolved, Malacca is one place that RoRK will look into for a long-term stay. Of course the polygamous sect in Northern Thailand gets a first look-see. :mrgreen:

Malacca ROCKs!

Me thinks folks get carried away with the high taxes in some countries. It's not just how much you pay - one also, has to factor in what one gets in return.

Income tax may be low here, relative to welfare states, but we pay a whole lot of other taxes that are 'disguised' as payment of sorts but in reality these payments go to the government. And as such, they should be looked at as a form of taxation.

And many welfare states have highly stable societies and economies- in case you haven't noticed.

I'd say that given the current situation that we are in, we do not really have much of a choice in staying or leaving.

Singapore is becoming a service orientated economy, which is the direction that most of the developed world is heading towards.

The next question that we have to ask is, who are we providing our services to then?
In this day and age, international demand starts to become more significant in our P & Ls.

IMO, Singaporeans will have to be more global than the previous generation, and more jobs will require us to travel around the world.

In lieu of this fact, and also, perhaps due to my inherent biasness as an Economics major, I treat Singapore the same way I treat my flat.

It's a nice place to come back every so often and get a break, but you can't be bringing home the bacon just sitting around and focusing solely on Singapore.

I disagree with the notion that people can be simply split into two catogories of stayers and quitters.

To me, it is part of a trend that the traditional demarcations between countries is starting to blur, as we see ourselves more as citizens of a global village.

Granted, there are still ties that bind us to whereever we are born in, and I DO like Singapore, hot weather, 'strict' governance and all.

However, if the country does not provide me with the necessary oppourtunities to do what I'd like to, then I can either stay and alter my goals a little, or go overseas to get it done.

To end of this horribly lengthy post, I shall stick to the script and answer the question.
Whether I'm a stayer or quitter depends on whether the price (both tangible and intangible) is right.

Walau Joerox, you economics graduates all same same one, talk like gotch farni one. Dude, you gotch so many paras made up of one and two sentences - too few words within the paras that I can only safely read that you want to sell your flat??? And you don't know if you're coming or you're going???

Hahah - RoRK gotch make farni ah, sorry ah - donch angry.

Dey! I catch no ball, gotch half ball I rikes, but you is a man, half ball, I send to bro pathein... - if gotch full ball, bro edder say he rikes - hehe joking ah bros pathein and edder if you read this.

Say what you want lah but Singaporea is still a 2nd world country when it comes to its socio-economic fabric. It's economy is still largely labour-intensive - hence the importation of FTs to run the shipywards, factories, construction etc etc etc - IOW, predominantly labour intensive sectors of the economy.

TS is about stayers and quiters, I guess you travel often enough that your home to you is anywhere you can be at any point in time.

But the crux of the matter still remains, in that your income is collected here and you vote here and your fellow countrymen live here.

So bro how lidat? Are you a stayer or a quitter?

i don't know about you guys, but the only reason i'm staying is cos of my family & a large majority of my friends, and of course, the ability to get what you want when you want it.

if not for the three reasons, i'm off to the big apple already! :D

i'm sure some people echo my sentiments.

Can't decide.Stay because this place is safe and has a good music scene which I love.Quit because life is so stressful here and life tempo is so fast,everyone is in a rush.So can't decide...

Well, I've been forced to say the stupid pledge half my kid life
and its say "to build a democratic soci, based on justise and equality"
But where the hells that?

Nobody forced you to do that. I never said the pledge since primary one because, I never sang the national anthem since primary one too. I don't believe in Asian nations at all, even though I am asian myself, I believe that most Asian nations ascribe to a very outdated philosophy called confucianism, given the opportunity, I'd immediately pack my bags and leave, of course, financial concerns are a very very important thing to factor in.

Oh man, I don't know if I want to stay.

I badly want to just pack my bags and go off to Southern France or Perth to lead a carefree, slow and romantic life.

On another hands, I cannot ignore that there are many commitments I have here too.

Damn, how should I decide?

im afraid to say im a quitter. stayed in singapore for almost 15 years. pretty much grep up there. from K1 to J2 i stayed there. but recently my dad got a job offer with expat status and the offer was pretty much irresistable. so he decided to pull the plug and we all moved to the United Kingdom (Scotland) in Dec 2007.

the only plus factor was that company paid all taxes, gave house rent and pay was a lot higher than the one is Singapores one. other than that my family loved singapore, i still miss singapore and my friends back there, but what to do..no choice had to come here.

but its pretty good for a change lah..from all that monotone in singapore's lifestyle.

and yes, grass IS greener on the other side. CHICKS ARE HAWT HERE.

i hold the opinion that singapore has gotten too fast paced for some people to catch up. its a painful decision to move out where u grew up. actually it doesn't really matter if we move or stay, as long as we are happy with who we are and what we're doing, isn't it?

i've met a group of iraqis last year. their baghdad office lies outside the green zone where there are frequent fights amongst gangs. they refuse to move out simply because their friends and families are there.

Back