Singapore Bands: READ THIS.

how about this coming Sat (21 Jan)? please PM me your mobile contact. I will book the studio and inform you. oh, one more thing, which genre of music does your band play? i just wanna find a suitable sound engineer to do it.

Mr Soft,

Don't mind me saying this but you're starting to sound like you want to challenge him. Is that necessary? To what ends? Prove his "street cred"? He was just trying to make a point, albeit in a less than polite way. Yes his comments were rude but he has apologised for them. Perhaps you'd like to clue us in on the purpose of this calling him out?

Oh btw, azly, once you've apologized for your comments, it would be best not to reply again in the same tone.

AvonRellets said:
Mr Soft,

Don't mind me saying this but you're starting to sound like you want to challenge him. Is that necessary? To what ends? Prove his "street cred"? He was just trying to make a point, albeit in a less than polite way. Yes his comments were rude but he has apologised for them. Perhaps you'd like to clue us in on the purpose of this calling him out?

Oh btw, azly, once you've apologized for your comments, it would be best not to reply again in the same tone.

I'm wondering too. Firstly it doesn't really serve a purpose.

Secondly, it be only fair if you call other bands too and leave the application open to those interested.

James, I think it's a lot of money, and not worth it, if it's just to challenge him.
but then, you might have your basis for doing so. Hmmmm.....

I will help James to shoot the video, Azlyjacaz will you pm me about what genre of music does your band play and how many members and what musical instrutment you guys play, this will give me a better view on how to shoot a good video of your band. I directed the Rudra video with James .

thank you
purplehaze3691

i believe that video is the medium that will help showcase singapore music to the world. instead of spending the money to do a 1 time show and hope that lots of people will turn up, i am going to invest in video content.

hey, if the video is good, it will help promote SOFT too! :wink:

*purplehaze3691, aint we supposed to be sleeping!!! still got anther 10 hours shoot tomorrow! ha..ha..ha.....

=embryo

Got no agreement form lah, boss. Just a detail sheet to inform all the performers about showtime and soundcheck timing.

And I played for BBQ stingray before. My only complaint? The stingray not fresh enough and the sambal chilli not power enough. Hey, I'm still typically Singaporean...

=azlyjacaz

Hey doode, make no mistake. I ain't agreeing with you on this. New bands have asked for payment before and for the matter of fact, it's their virgin performance. If the music fits the concept of our gigs, we'll pay if our venue owner gives us the budget.

We try our best to pay all of our performers whenever we can. We did gigs where no one was paid. We did gigs where performers were paid in beer. We did gigs where there were financial renumeration.

When you send out the official invitation, let them know if they are being paid or not. If they are interested, they will play. If they still want to be paid and you can't do that, turn them down politely. Get other performers who are willing to play.

Then plan the post-gig par-tay. The most important thing...

Hey Willy, Grain is UrbanKarma's axeman and FourTones Studio's boss! Aiyo, his studio always full one, but he takes good care of his customers very well. Kudos to him!

Robert Fernando is a tremendous singer who once sang the song "Born Free" for a Fujifilm commercial. "Moon River", "Almost There", "Happy Hearts" are sung by him too. He started the group Stardust in 1978 and has also jammed with Jacintha, James Ingram, and the band America. He paid us $300 to do a 15min set in an annual event that also features Jive Talkin', Paul Daniel, Heritage and many more! $300 for a 15min set was a lot lor, especially for cheapo bands like us! So with the money we earned goes into our band fund. Sometimes we were paid $100, sometimes $200. Whatever the amount we get from gigs, it all goes into our band fund. And the band fund, of course, will be used to fund our upcoming album. And with more local albums from more local bands/artists, the local music industry will be healthier. This is how I see it.

Regarding this weekend's "Spread the Love", I can't make it for the Sat one leh... :( Will be working on that night... I see if I can help film the TLE one, but no multi-cameras. Hehe... you might want to ask Linda for the "Lunarin @ Baybeats" unreleased DVD we did if you have not watched it. Full 30min set with 5 camera set-up! Anyway, we have one more video of B-Quartet @ Get off that Thang! Will pass it to you sometime!

Hey James and Ken, unfortunately I will not be free this Sat, otherwise I'll love to help out with the filming! Next time do let me know if you require more manpower! So when can we see the Lunarin album launch video? :D

Alright here's my conclusion after numerous posts and such:

All bands have the right to be paid. Even new bands.

New bands can ask for payment and its up for the organiser to decide. If I were the organiser, it all depends on the performance of the new bands.

If they are tight and worth the audience bucks then they deserve being paid but if its the otherwise, asking to be paid is undeserving.

Do correct me if I'm wrong.

The_Rover said:
Hey Willy, Grain is UrbanKarma's axeman and FourTones Studio's boss!

Hmmm, must check out Fourtones one of these days! :D

No worries about the camera thing. I thought Caveman Pictures was keen to shoot part of the event. Just come down and watch lah. And after that, standard. We go and drink beer! Hurhur...

soft said:
how about this coming Sat (21 Jan)? please PM me your mobile contact. I will book the studio and inform you. oh, one more thing, which genre of music does your band play? i just wanna find a suitable sound engineer to do it.

I am certainly waiting to see this vid...

The Rudra is cool... Especially, the way how the solo was filmed... The drums sounds nice...

ephyra said:
hmmmm i think we shld start a section in soft to put up singapore bands profile , genre and contact and status detail of bands in soft so gig organisers can approach them easier ... and if they want put up details as how much they will charge to be booked for gigs

James, please refer to the journal hack thread. Don't wanna hijack this thread, less I get burned... 8)

spoiler.

the video might show a good band of azlyjacaz, but would still be tinted in perception due to his previous postings and tone.

either way its lose-lose for azlyjacaz.

don't do it.

Back