Restringing AND cleaning a Floyd Rose Guitar

jeremyrozario said:
den now got any strings wif both end got balls?

There are. But not really ball ends lah... its for the Floyd Rose Speedloader Bridge... there's no tuners for this bridge equipped guitars... just a nut that lodges a ball end of the string then the other end goes into the Speedloader trem... thats it!

But well, go check out the floyd rose website. Its nothing much IMO... plus with the Speedloader, you can ONLY use speedloader strings... hard to find plus more expensive than usual. No more Black Diamond coated strings for you.

Hey shredcow, sorry for the late reply.

ok mine is a washburn MG30 ... not too sure bout the trem. maybe i take some pic and show u later ?

why take out saddle ? thot u say take em out and clean em ?? :lol: well, actually mine was very dirty so have to take all out (including the spring and all) for cleaning ... b4 i took em out, din take note how it is set .. so when fixing back time, just "hantam" ... :lol:

manage to get the saddle back in in sequence (back number 1(1st string) 1(2nd string) 2(3rd) 2(4th) 3(5th) 3(6th)) .. 2nd string action still quite low, can hear buzz sound. but 1st string ok ... hmm ... thot of setting the stud higher ?

now back to intonation ... this is rather hard to catch ... not like other bridge ... so means i have to loosen the strings, loosen the nuts and set ?? dont seem accurate ... the other 1 is that intonation tuner in the wed u show me ? wud it b adviseable to buy 1 of those ? where and how much ???

thanks alot SC !!! n\/m

damn i think i missed out on this topic b4 posting a new thread on the same matter. Anyways this is super help for newbs on floyd rose or such stuff..Like me :lol: Though i dont prefer to block those parts..u'll get the hang of it sooner or later i suppose..

schred said:
Though i dont prefer to block those parts..u'll get the hang of it sooner or later i suppose..

Hmmm... Well, I guess if you always change to the same guage and same brand of strings, then its cool, you can get used to the tension and tune up a floyd without blocking it.

hi shredcow, is there any way to lower the string tension on a floyd?
my friend's guitar is similar to mine but his strings have a much lower string tension, and we're using the same gauge .009s...

evenes said:
my friend's guitar is similar to mine but his strings have a much lower string tension, and we're using the same gauge .009s...

If you are using similar guitars with the same tuning, there's no way.

But check the neck length and the type of strings used. Yes, strings make a difference... for example, DR strings feel less tight than GHS strings IMO.

Other than those main differences, a lot of things can constitude to "lower" string tension. If a guitar is setup well, it will play better... it the action is set low enough, it will feel like it has lower tension and so on.

So yeah man, you got to check these factors. :)

Sometimes a bttr floyd rose patent is gd on decreasing tension. A speedloader is slightly more inclined than a regular patent.

hey SC, here's my floyd rose trem ... can tell what's it model ?

t_floyd_rose_29-7-2005_3.jpg

t_floyd_rose_4.jpg

t_floyd_rose_29-7-2005_2.jpg

Whoa tht looks new n shiny hahah. Oh itz the original patent. The average stock floyd rose system. Speedloaders r seen in most of the high-end guitars, especially on Ibanez artistes' series. Bt they r abit more xpenisve than the original. Some can reach over $300. Bt i think there r speedloaders ard $200. Should have. Bt davis is nt the place for u if u want tht lol. Do check out www.floydrose.com & dude..if u evr happen to plan on buying a new floyd rose bridge, pls dont buy black :lol:

evenes said:

Ur nt the only 1. My friend uses a joe satriani limited edition rg ibanez, with a speedloader. While me a jackson performer w/ the original patent. Same gauge, same strings, same tuning, same springs - same spacing, bt different tension. Looks like some1 needs a speedloader :lol:

:lol: schred ... shining cos i had clean it up real good ...

so schred ... is mine a floyd rose original ? thanks.

Speedloaders? They only come on selected BC Rich Guitars. As far as I know, the Speedloaders excel in string replacement, but there are many drawbacks. Increased weight, less responsive trem design and average intonation.

Therefore, knowing a JS model doesen't come with a Speedloader, its impossible that your 'friend' swapped his Edge Pro for a Speedloader, the former offering more stable intonation, more smoother dive/pull action and accurate return to pitch.

pooo said:
My friend uses a joe satriani limited edition rg ibanez, with a speedloader

I think you might have made a mistake there. The Ibanez JS series electrics have Edge Pro Bridges, not speedloaders.

http://www.floydrose.com/images/bridges/speedloader.jpgSpeedloader

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/products/eg/know_more/images/rg_edge_pro.jpg
Edge Pro

Naw man..itz a rare edition. Had only a few in singapore. Can say abt only 5 of them. Itz nt a JS model. Itz an RG. Joe Satriani limited edition RG. I'll show u guys the pic soon. Spatans urs is the original patent.

SpaTanS said:
:lol: schred ... shining cos i had clean it up real good ...

so schred ... is mine a floyd rose original ? thanks.

boss, ur floyd rose is a floyd rose licensed original. u can find the specs of ur guitar on the washburn guitar archives.

http://www.washburn.com/acrobat/archives/1993.pdf

and yeah, the guitar looks damn nice man. the mercury series washburns are one of the most sought after series (u can simply see that from the wasburn forum). they're made in korea but are one of the best guitars of that time.

2 things to note, however. the stock pickups aren't that good so u might want to swap them with more powerful aggressive pickups should you find them lacking.

the other thing to note is that the Mercury I series uses 500K, long shaft linear minipots which are impossible to find. if you're like me and absolutely hate linear pots (i hate it when it's 90% volume at 4 already) you can add tapering resistors on the volume and the tone pots. They work wonders for me. (I'm using 82k resistors for your reference.)

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/potsecrets/potscret.htm

oh yeah sorry forgot to mention floyd rose "licences" most of the patents. Like thor said. Though u can purchase the original floyd rose brand. Thtz y u dont c the FLOYD ROSE signature on the bridge. Itz only stated as licensed by floyd rose.

Latest posts

Back